Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michauxii

renovating old/worn out pasture in East Texas

michauxii
17 years ago

Recently bought 8 acres of land. The soil is just "wore-out".

I plan to build up this place into a "show place" for various wildlife food plots; clovers, other legumes, buckwheat, peas, brassicas, chicory, cereal grains etc...

First, I plan to lime with 5000# ag limestone per acre followed with 500# of 5-20-20 an acre.

I will do a complete soil test first, but I'm fairly confident that it will show the need for the above amendments.

I'm concerned with getting some needed TRACE MINERALS into the soil. None of my local fed/fertilizer stores carry a TM fertilizer. If I knew a name/product they would probably order some for me.

I can get KMag and probably rock phosphate, but is there a good product that is not too cost prohibitive that contains goodly proportions of trace minerals?

Thanks!

Comments (4)

• bob64
    17 years ago

No one else has responded so I will (this advice is probably worth what it costs). Also, check out the compost forum and check out the Lady Bird Johnson center that is supposed to be the go to place for Texas wildflower info. The different uses you mentioned might require different solutions for their corresponding areas. Organic matter and compost usually help with almost anything. Some of my compost literature makes fairly incredible claims about what compost can do -- in any event, it can't hurt. Cover crops will eventually help to replenish the land and will compete with weeds. I have read that sea weed and kelp products help with trace minerals. There are also various prairie plants that don't mind beat up soil so much. Is your land worn out from agricultural uses? If so, just giving the land a break from production should help. Here is one web address for a company that sells a TM product: http://www.aglife.net/tracecomplete.htm. I am sure there are many others. I have no idea who's products are best. The organic gardening companies sell all kinds of stuff, maybe those would help also?

• jabee
    17 years ago

You might want to talk to Bill or Jan Neiman at Native American Seeds. They specialize in restoration and are in Texas. I've found them very helpful.

Here's a link to some FAQ's on their website.

Good luck, what you're doing is very admirable.

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQ's-Native American Seed

• newtestimonies_gmail_com
    17 years ago

I have used the Trace Mineral product that AGLife sells and in my opinion it is the best on the market for several reasons. It contains a perfect balance of all the trace minerals as they are found in nature. I was very impressed with the product. It is far easier to use than fish fertilizer or even kelp in my opinion. I had the best crop of tomatoes I have ever had. Huge difference in taste, size and color. I also saw a nice increase in my legumes. I did not use any other product on my crops. I did not have any problems with pests this year either, which I contribute to the trace minerals. I was looking for a good trace mineral package but I did not want to put sea solids because of all the salt content. AGLife's Trace Minerals have very little sodium in them. Anyway, I agree with the previous poster check out: http://www.aglife.net.tracecomplete.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: AGLife Trace Minerals

• froggy
    17 years ago

'I plan to build up this place into a "show place" for various wildlife food plots; clovers, other legumes, buckwheat, peas, brassicas, chicory, cereal grains etc... '

nothing on this list is 'sensative' to grow. infact, if i were going to 'build' the soil over 8 acres, i would consider adding those very spp. altho i must say that ive never tried to grow chickory, it always seems to grow on pretty ruff soil. i think ur overworrying about something that u maynot have to. and even so, to try and build up 8 acres of soil in any other way than natural means is a feat onto itself, not to mention the costs.

also, you are planning on putting on 1lb/9sqft of lime. that seems like alot at one time. that seems like over 2x the amount that i would recommend.

and im curious what 2ton of 10-20-20 costs and how are you going to apply them?

have you had a chat with the local county soils dept? they love talking to landowners about this very topic and will be able to recommend techniques. and dont let them stop at one, keep drilling them for different ways to skin this cat.

there is always lasagna gardening. tho again...8 acres is alota acres to be doing anything by hand.

lastly, ill leave you with something to browse when you have some time. its the concept of 'terra preta'. black soil. amazonian rainforest soil is some of the worst in the world. talk about warn out, it rains there CONSTANTLY. yet, ppl's were able to create black gold out of time, plants and some burning. the prairie soils grew out of the same ideal, tho not to the intensity that terra preta is. give it a looksy.

Here is a link that might be useful: terra preta

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH