Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
unknown seed pods on prairie plant

Posted by birkie z4 WI (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 21, 07 at 6:59

I collected seed pods from frozen plants that looked vetch-like in that they had the remains of delicate compound leaves. The 1/4" pods were in tight upright clusters perhaps 1 1/2" long, each pod about 1/2", dark brown, and hollow except for a few tiny seeds. I tried to upload a picture on the "Name that plant" forum but got the message that I had not "chosen a forum". Don't know what I did wrong. Anybody help me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: unknown seed pods on prairie plant

Look up baptisia species.

o

• Posted by ggopal Chicago, IL z5 (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 21, 07 at 13:56

Could it be
Astragalus canadensis (Canadian milkvetch)

o

Are you sure it was on a 'prairie'?

I can think of a few bad spp that I would not like to transfer that are a 'bean pod with seeds' in waste areas of Wisconsin. You can always seedling flat them out before you spread them to see what comes up this winter indoors.

Astragalus has a lumpy, large seedbody and Baptisia has ~ the same shape/size of a soybean. My guess is its crown or cow vetch.

Froggy

o

Thanks for the suggestions, but the pods do not look like crown vetch, my baptisia or other pea-shaped pods. They are dark brown, slightly pointed sausage-shaped, stiffly upright in a small cluster at the top of the stem. The seeds have mostly been eaten but I found enough to plant for spring growing to see what comes up but thought the description might ring a bell with someone. There are a number of these plants on this planted prairie so I can't prove whether they are just weeds (although I didn't see any elsewhere).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here