Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Source for Grass Seeds?

Posted by millefiori 7 VA (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 9, 06 at 10:56

Hello! New here.

We have several acres of newly cleared field and thinned woodland that I would like to plant with prairie grasses (big & little bluestem, sheep fescue, etc.) wildflowers and sedges. Plugging and purchasing individual ornamental grasses from garden centers on such a scale would be cost prohibitive so I need to find a source for bulk seeds. Did locate a German source if necessary but prefer U.S. seed source.

Also, any recommendations as to types of fast growing grasses to plant on sloped site for erosion control, drought resistant, humidity tolerant and grazing pressure in cold zone 7, heat zone 7. Recommendations on woodland sedges and grasses would also be appreciated.

Thank you.

~ Tru

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Source for Grass Seeds?

i would think that your local DNR or land conservation or local nursury could answer these questions better to your specific soil and desires.

there are many threads on the site that address these questions indirectly, so maybe a search will also yield what you are looking for.

froggy

o

I have used Ernst Conservation Seeds and Wildlife Nurseries Inc. There are many companies you can purchase from by mail order. Native seed tends to be a little bit expensive. I used creeping red fescue on a steep slope and it worked out o.k. If you can find a place you can go to in person you can save a lot on shipping. Some turf grass and highway grass seed providers also have some native seed for sale - especially if your local towns or DOT have native seed percentage requirements for roadsides.

o

I have ordered from Spence Nursery http://www.spencenursery.com/ Their prices and service are top-notch and they are user-friendly. I have ordered SOG and LBS. I recommend them.

mike@prairiesedge.org

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here