Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Field Crest (Crieses)

Posted by joebryant zone 5 Indiana (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 10, 04 at 11:28

I just ordered some seed from http://www.southernexposure.com/productlist/prods/71217.html for field crest for making criese greens. My mother and grandmother used to look for and pick them for cooking in the spring when we lived in southern Kentucky. I don't have a clue how/when to plant them in the garden (they're delicious "greens"). There is no planting information whatsoever when I do a Google search. Does anyone know dip about these native, wild plants? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Field Crest (Crieses)

That should have been "field CRESS", not "Field Crest".

o

according to yatskievych's 'indiana wildflowers' there are for cress these common names:common yellow, cow, creeping yellow, hoary, lake, mouse-ear, sand, sessile-flowered yellow, and wart. any idea what the scientific name for your specimen is?

o

Well the Southern Exposure website where she ordered the seed says it is Barbarea verna. There is also planting info on the website. It looks like it needs 60 F for germination, so I'd say you could just plant them in early spring. You could even plant them now if you like. If you search on "Barbarea verna" you should find quite a bit of info. I suspect you will never need to replant these as long as you keep their area reasonably weeded. I think they will reseed and increase.

o
oops, sorry

I forgot that I was on the Meadows and Priaries forum; was thinking I was in Vegetable Gardening. So I just want to acknowlege that you might not want to weed around these plants if you want to grow them as part of a community of plants. Also, they are not not native. (That might be of importance to you.)

If you are sowing them into a meadow, please be sure to learn to distinguish them from other yellow spring crucifers, some of which could be poisonous.

o

Thanks much, mrnatural and Clare
Clare, I just now copied your post and posted it on another forum where there are several other people (birders) who are interested in the wild cress that they, their neighbors, and my mother and grandmother used to gather from the wild in southern Kentucky and northern Tennessee. Thanks a lot!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here