Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
weird thing i found

Posted by morgan88 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 7, 05 at 15:22

i usually post in the home areas so hello all.

we've been living on these 5 acres in west central ohio for a year now. three of the five acres are pretty much wild w/ a trail mowed through. we call it our bird and butterfly sanctuary. it used to be a pasture for sheep, but now everything is growing. there are wildflowers and weeds and thistles. there is also a little stream w/ cattails and fern. i don't know if this qualifies as a prairie yet, but i could find no section called "used to be pasture".

anyway, i was walking along the trail and i found the weirdest thing i had ever seen in my life sticking out of the ground. it looked like a red witch finger sticking out of the ground. it showed up when the weather cooled off and it came out of nowhere. since then i have seen a few others in the same area. they eventually shrivel and disappear. it is finger shaped, a very long skinny finger, and made from this spongy red almost skin like material. there is a small hole at the very end.

i have lived in rural ohio my whole life and i have come across some odd things, but this is a first. i hope someone out there knows what i am talking about.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: weird thing i found

It sounds like one of those stinkhorn mushrooms.

http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/StratfordLandingES/Ecology/mpages/elegant_stinkhorn.htm

o

oh my goodness! that's it! the only thing is that i didn't smell anything. curious.

how did you get that? i would have never guessed in a million years. thank you so much. i hate not know what things are. with this thing i had no idea where to begin.

o

oh wow! that is a GREAT site ahughes798! I was 'lost' there for about an hour wandering through all the info they have. Fascinating!
GH-

Here is a link that might be useful: Study of North Virginia Ecology

o

and ur area is called an 'old field'

so at the next cocktail party, u can bring this into the conversation, ' say, i was walking in my old field when i came across some stinkhorn's.'

if that doesnt start a conversation, either i dont wanna talk to them or they are dead.

froggy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here