Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Butterfly/Bee plantings and mulch

Posted by misterpatrick 4 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 29, 11 at 17:50

Hello all,

I am slowly working on the yard of the house we purchased last year. I have a great woods full of natives and a small bit of prairie I'm working on. There is a small strip on land that abuts my neighbors property that is also the border of my vegetable garden. The garden is raised with 2x12's and this area is fairly low so gets a lot of water. The neighbors side is covered with a wood mulch/chips of some sort with a few low shrubs and a river birch. This is on the north side of my garden so I'd like to plant some shorter sunflowers for moisture control as well as a bunch of bee/bird friendly things like butterflyweed, lavender hyssop, coneflower, blazingstar etc. The one issue is that the area is pretty weedy so I was thinking of covering the entire area with pine-bark mulch and then either planting seedlings or direct sowing in small cleared areas.

Any thoughts on this plan? Just wondering if the pine-bark mulch will do a good job with web control but still allow for these natives and other flowers to grow well? Too acidic as it breaks down?

This is a small area - about 30' long by about 5' deep.

Should I start seedlings for some of these plants (which ones) or just direct sow?

Any tips greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Butterfly/Bee plantings and mulch

• Posted by akaj9 9 Central Florida (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 1, 12 at 1:05

I would lay down some heavy layers of newspaper over the weeds, then heavily mulch the area...wait through winter then start planting in spring pending the weather and your climate and type of flowers..what zone are you in? that may help....also ck. out lasagna composting....

o

Sounds like a great plan. Do you wintersow? If not, check out the wintersowing forum for help getting seedlings started inexpensively. Do you need seeds? I probably have lots of the varieties you need. Let me know if I should put together a care package.

Martha

o

Thanks for the tips! Sorry for the slow response, I've been out of town. I don't wintersow, but I have been getting ready to start vegetable seedlings so I have the equipment for that. I doubt I'll have a chance to cover the area this winter, but early spring I'll lay down newspaper and then pinebark mulch hopefully before any weeds have a chance to sprout.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here