Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Controlling Evil Ticks

Posted by joseywales 4 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 12, 13 at 23:05

I have a swatch of field in my back yard and I'd like to plant native grasses (I'm in WI) but I'm worried the tall grasses will attract ticks. We have a 2-3 in 5 tick lymes rate here (deer ticks) and I really dont want to attract them to my yard with kids around. Are there any native grass plantings that are "tickless" or not tick friendly?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Controlling Evil Ticks

Unfortunately ticks do not do much, if any, damage to native plants and therefore native plants have not evolved any means to repel them. There are non-native herbs and forbs that are unappealing to them and may discourage them from taking up residence in your yard (which also are slightly effective for mosquitoes as well). These include:

• Citronella grass
• Garlic
• Lavender
• Lemon balm
• Mexican marigolds (Tagetes erecta)
• Mint (Mentha)
• Pennyroyal (Mentha pulegium)
• Pyrethrum (type of chrysanthemum)
• Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis)
• Rue (Ruta graveolens)
• Sage (Salvia officinalis)
• Wormwood (Artemesia absinthium)

Source: http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/10/04/3250084/some-plants-repel-ticks.html

I don't know how effective these plants actually are but they do provide an alternative source of nectar and pollen for bees and butterflies. I have yellow finches that LOVE the lavender seeds too.

o

Considering that some of the most tick-infested areas I can think of are the aromatic sagebrush-covered hills of the mountain west, I doubt that any of those plants would deter a tick.

Look at the life cycle of a tick ... they do not wander the woods looking for plants to infest. They are not winged, they can't hop ... they can barely crawl.

The pregnant females drop off a warm-blooded animal into vegetation and lay their eggs right there. The new-hatched nymphs climb the nearby vegetation and wait for a warm blooded animal to brush them off.

This concentrates the ticks along paths and areas where host animals are common.

To control ticks, keep the host animals out of your yard.

o

AWWW, no dogs!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Meadows & Prairies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here