Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chartreuse2_gw

Landscape fabric or alternative

chartreuse2
18 years ago

Can someone reccomend a good landscape fabric or other alternative to keep weeds down under gravel? I am located in Seattle.

Comments (8)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    18 years ago

Using landscape fabric or weed barrier under gravel or other hardscaping material is about the ONLY time I recommend it. And even then, it is not an ideal solution. Weeds will still develop, persistant devils that they are, but the barrier will tend to slow them a bit and they are often easier to remove with the barrier preventing their ability to root deeply.

Most of these materials are pretty similar - look for one that has a 5 or 10 year life. There are some with an advertised longer life span for higher cost, but they really don't last any longer.

The better cleared of weeds the soil is underneath the fabric, the better the result, as some very troublesome, persistant weeds like ivy, bindweed or horsetails can find their way through the fabric with apparent ease. And don't skimp on the gravel.

• Embothrium
    18 years ago

Yes: you'll have to apply and maintain enough gravel to keep the fabric protected from cuts and abrasions. If there is a mat of something like field horsetail underneath shoots will come up through the smallest holes.

My most frequent experience with landscape fabric is that it's something that gets in your way, has to be pulled up and disposed of. Successful, lasting installations don't seem to be the norm. Let anything get on top of the mat that weeds can grow in and it is defeated. Even a gravel covering can accumulate enough debris for the fabric to fail. In some situations soil may wash in from the sides or be spilled on it. Falling leaves and other plant parts may eventually provide a substrate. It is natural for bare places to be colonized by plants. I've walked on abandoned asphalt roadways in forests that had vegetation already growing some yards across them, from the sides.

• chartreuse2
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for you helpful suggestions.

I wonder if a thick layer of cardboard under the landscape fabric would slow weeds down.

Where do you like to shop for landscape fabric and other garden supplies?

• Embothrium
    18 years ago

They carry rolls of landscape fabric in season at CostCo. However...

Here is a link that might be useful: Myth of Landscape Fabric

• crunchdaddy
    18 years ago

Only use it with rocks and other hardscaping. Buy the high dollar thick fabric. It can last over 12 years if not disturbed with fall and spring planting. The cheaper stuff is too light and does not stay in place near as easy. Cutting the thicker fabric will require a sharp razor blade. Good luck.

• bloomenhagens
    18 years ago

I'm in Victoria, and I strongly discourage the use of landscape fabric at all, but if you have too... I used a heavy duty fabric with UV protection in my nursery, it has worked well so far, but it is the floor,and easily swept clean, not like your gravel situation, the gravel will accumulate soil, dust, organic debris from the wind. These particles will filter down the gravel and eventually settle on the fabric, hence, building a layer of medium for weeds to germinate and grow in. If it is in the budget, I would use drain rock as deep as can be afforded and "veneer" the drain rock with your stone of choice (provided it is more expensive than drain rock), this should increase the longeviety of the installation.

• Duncan Edwards
    8 years ago

Hi guys,

Always go for 100gsm+ woven fabric. The fibre type stuff breaks up so easily and causes problems! It also needs to be installed properly (overlaps, pegs etc..) very important. People who use cheap fabric get what they pay for, that's why there is such a huge debate. Gardengal is right, really only under pavements, gravel and driveways are the best use for it. As I said make sure that you put it down properly! This Article should help.

Cheers

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County