Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claybones_gw

Buried Terra-cotta Pot Slow Watering System

claybones
18 years ago

I have a big roof garden to maintain. Does anyone have experience burying [unglazed] terra cotta pots in ground as a slow watering system? The idea is to seal the bottom hole of the buried pot, fill with water, and let water slowly seep out walls of pot to moisten surrounding soil. I read about this but wonder if it actually works well. If so it would save a lot of maintenance time on the hot roof.

Comments (5)

• The_Mohave__Kid
    18 years ago

Hello Clay ...

I have just started to experiment with this ... I was inspired to investigate this after James Curtis gave a presentation at Desert Green ... my first clay vessel was constructed with two pots and a measuring tube inserted at the top ... the flux rate of water out of the vessel seems like it would be very workable in providing water.

My initial rate was about ... 1 to 2 ounces of water per hour at a constant volume in the clay vessel. This is with two 4 inch pots.

Home Depot has small "self watering pots" that work on this principle .. they are glazed clay pots with an internal porous clay pot ... one fills the space between the two pots and the water moves into the root area.

I think there is a lot one can do with this concept and roof top or better yet balcony irrigation would be a great application.

My actual experience so far is very limited .. this spring I will run some more test.

Good Day ...

• creatrixld
    18 years ago

I have clients that don't water their containers, so this is very interesting to me. My question is- in a container, what happens when it does rain? Won't the soil get saturated and not drain?

I've been mulling on placing small plastic plant trays (the cheap clear plastic ones) down in the bottom of some of the larger containers- not enough to block all the drainage,but to hold some water.

• mylu
    18 years ago

Creatrix:
    I see your idea but I would think you would be in risk of root rot if it happens to rain every other day or so for weeks on end during your rainy season..

Maybe put some volcanic rock in the tray too?

• bluestarrgallery
    18 years ago

Claybones:
    Check out this site about Ollas - an old Spanish method of slow watering plants where limited amounts of water are available. I ordered some of these and they are quite unique. As you said the clay pots must be unglazed so water can seep through and the top should be covered after the pot is buried so the water doesn't evaporate. Apparently this system is being used in desert areas quite effectively. http://www.swcp.com/~fellowship/ecm/ollas.html

• creatrixld
    18 years ago

I was thinking two or 4 4" diameter trays, maybe cut to 1" deep in a container 18"x 18" x 8-10" deep. I have also considered using disposable diapers- not lining the whole container, but allowing for drainage.

Still mulling the problem. I think using an outdoor potting mix with water retaining ingredients may also help.

I'm going to talk to them about getting some self-watering containers as well.

I'm also considering a cactus/sedum theme this year! We tried ornamental grass last year- but in black iron urns in full afternoon sun, even they croaked. At least they didn't look as dead as some of the other containers!

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus