Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandy02256

automatic sprayer fogger question

sandy0225
17 years ago

Have any of you ever used a sprayer like this in the greenhouse? I like the idea of an auto fog sprayer where I don't have to be in the greenhouse when I'm spraying, but wonder if this would be a waste of money. Has anyone used one? and if so, what was the outcome? especially wondering about whitefly and spidermite control.

Current greenhouses are 20X20 and 26X12, but I'm looking to put up a 28X80 also.

Here is a link that might be useful: commercial stationary sprayer and fogger

Comments (6)

• upnortdareh
    17 years ago

You need to purchase a sprayer with a wand and be able to adjust the pressure. If you have concerns about whitefly and spidermites, you must have enough pressure to get under the leaves. I hate to tell you but you have to spend some money on a good sprayer. The one you are looking at just put chemical on the leafs surface and in the air.Its just my opinion-- Good Luck--- Upnortdareh

• heptacodium
    17 years ago

My answer is as long as a) the micron siz is small enough and b) the area being treated is of the right size what that thing acn do, you should be fine.

Is there a Jr Johnson or a Carlin Hort Supplies near you? Eithre should be able to help you much more effectively.

• watergal
    17 years ago

sandy, for whiteflies, have you tried Marathon granules? Work great on those, as well as aphids, fungus gnats, pretty much any sucking insect EXCEPT spider mites. Bonus - no fumes. Downside - expensive and you have to water carefully for a week or so to not leach out the chemical.

• sandy0225
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'll take all of that under consideration. Thanks!
    I really liked the idea of the thing spraying while I wasn't in there. I do go to Carlin and Cisco but this just looked like a nice toy. I might still get one and just use it for a fogger if it's not good for anything else. If I do, I'll let you know.
    I really want a Dramm auto fog--but that's a long way down the road with the price tag. I'll attach a link.

Here is a link that might be useful: dramm auto fog $2500 fogger-ouch!

• fredt7
    17 years ago

The only fogger I have experience with is a thermal fogger called PulsFog. You do have to be there with it while it fogs (I open the gh door a bit and stick the barrel through) but your exposure is minimal, and it does a great job of getting the pesticide where it needs to be - on every exposed surface of the plants. Probably not quite as expensive as the auto fog, but a lot more than the first one you mentioned. Hope you find something that works for you. Fred

Here is a link that might be useful: PulsFog

• sandy0225
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just to let you know how it all turned out. I bought a Curtis DynaFog Cyclone model fogger and I've been really happy with it so far.
    I just set it inside the greenhouse, load it up, roll down the sides and turn off the vents (obviously at night!) and let 'er go! If you fog it up really foggy, the bugs don't seem to be able to escape it. It's easily portable to carry between the greenhouses, and I can fog pesticides, fungicides, etc. Heck, I even fogged neem oil with it a couple of times and it didn't clog up. I also can set it inside the truck/trailer once I'm loaded up for the farmer's market (the night before) and fog inside the trailer so everything arrives in great shape. Just fog it until it's really foggy, then turn it off. Open the trailer doors a few hours later and let it air out.
    It doesn't have a timer, but I've gotten around that a couple of ways, once plugging it in outside the greenhouse and just pulling the plug when it was foggy enough, and putting it on a cheap kitchen timer. For my larger greenhouse, sometimes I have to pour another cycle of liquid through it, but if you set it right inside the door and have it already mixed up, it's no problem really.
    So I'd highly recommend it.
    Just thought I'd follow up in case anyone else was thinking like I was that I didn't want to be in all that spray all the time, even with a respirator....this is a link to show which one I purchased.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dynafog Cyclone