Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spiritual_gardner

Gardening for $$$

spiritual_gardner
17 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have been approached by someone who wants me to be their gardener.

The dollar figure sounds good, plus I can work it into my schedule easily. I have consulted with a professional landscaper that I am friends with. They agree that it is a good deal.

Because I am self employed, I have background on what it will take as far as paperwork etc, goes.

I have had no "professional" experience in gardening, but I have done quite a bit, so I am aware of what it will take. People are always commenting on what I have done to my present garden, so I guess I'm doing something right.

The job requires establishing beds throughout the property, and getting plants in the ground. I'm confident in my ability to get the job done, I'm just looking for someone else that might have had the same type of experience.

Thanks!

SG

Comments (4)

• txjenny
    17 years ago

SG, make sure to draw up a contract that details out what you will do and what you will not do; be a specific as you can. Include what your pay is and how/when you will be paid. Will you be paid a lump sum every month, or by the hour and expected to keep track of your hours and submit them? Are you including a materials line item, or will you be reimbursed for supplies? Be careful of reimbursements, no matter how good you feel about the relationship--you're fronting your own money.

I have two gardening clients along with the design work i do. What has really helped with these jobs is to get an organizer (a binder that zips up, has alot of pockets and pouches, etc.). i developed a weekly checklist of tasks (weeding,watering), things i was looking out for (bug problem on plant), plans for next week along with any special tools or materials i would need. on that checklist, i also have places where i put the date, note the weather, note mileage, and detail any purchases i made. when i invoice my clients, i provide them with a monthly recap of what i've done, and the receipts get stapled to the invoice.
    I also have a large rubbermaid portable file box that has compartments on the lid. i put my gloves, handtools and small bags of fertilizer, etc, inside, and in the lid compartment i keep pen/pencil, business cards, receipts, and small office items like paper clips and a little stapler.

You'll develop your own system, but the more organized you are, the better! good luck!

• spiritual_gardner
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Txjenny,

Thanks for the tips!

I agree completely that the more organized you are, the better. I like what works for you.

I do consider myself very well organized with my present business (I had my tax's done in about 30 minutes last week). I do weekly paper work that takes about 15-20 minutes then do monthly totals and file that.

Thanks again!

SG

• Mike Larkin
    17 years ago

Will this job require that you apply chemicals for insects?
    If yes - Does your State require that you have a license for pesticide application?

• tedb_threecedarfarm
    17 years ago

I garden for several clients and find it very rewarding.

My advise would be to remember that this is collabrative process and to really seek out the clients opinions. All of the gardens I work in look very different, reflecting the owners tastes, refined through my hands.

I'm not nearly so organized as others, no contracts. I prefer to concentrate on making each garden as beautiful and healthy as possible and so far everyone is happy.

Ted

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals