Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pepperomia

Tricky question from an interiorscaper

pepperomia
16 years ago

I am an interior plant maintenance technician. I recently relocated to a new city and although I sent out my resume to two different companies in my new hometown, I was only initially able to get part-time (15 hrs/week) employment with one of them. I like my new boss, we get along well, and my (few) accounts are great. But it's not very many hours. I've been working for her for four months now, and yesterday I finally got a response from the other company in town offering me an interview for another part-time position. I have seen a couple of the accounts this second company maintains, and while they are not up to the professional standards of the company I currently work for, there are MORE of them.

A few questions:

Is it ethical for me to work for both of these companies simultaneously, especially if they are each only able to offer me part-time work? Naturally, I would not be hiding this fact from either employer, so they would both have to agree to it - I suppose the main reason I'm asking is: If I were to propose this plan to my current employer, would she think I was absolutely nuts?

Do I have an obligation to speak to my current boss about this first, before even feeling out the prospective employer about wages/hours offered, etc? It wouldn't look very good to my current boss if I came to her and said, this is how much they'd pay me, this is how many hours they'll give me - although my husband says this would be a good bargaining chip to get more money from her, and a promise of more possible hours in the future.

I appreciate any responses you all may have. I really don't want to leave my current job, but I don't want to miss a good opportunity, either.

Comments (3)

Sponsored