Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting a career??

Posted by MissPurpleBasil CA (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 16, 12 at 13:09

I just graduated with a B.Sc in Biology in California. I love plants and gardening and I would love to be able to work in a nursery or have a job where I can constantly be outdoors and working with plants...

Any suggestions on how I can get into this field?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting a career??

• Posted by clfo z7 with luck (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 16, 12 at 19:55

Apply to local nurseries and garden centers. Apply to local landscapers. Any of those will be hands-on experience. Join groups that you're interested in such as the Perennial Plant Association etc. Attend trade shows. Get on the mailing list for your local Extension Service. There are many grants available from groups such as the PPA for young professionals so be sure to check these out as they could pay your way to meetings. Talk to everyone in the industry you meet.

o
RE: Starting a career??

We had a young grad with a B.S. in biology working in a garden center where I worked before starting my own business. It did not prepare her for any of the work we had available and she had a strictly entry level job. I guess I am saying that you need to be prepared for the 'hands on growing plants' part of it, your degree may proved to be disappointing. There are other areas of the industry where it would buy you a professional position and good pay. Why did you decide to major in that, instead of hort? Would you consider going into a different sector of the business like an ag lab, seed or plant industry, inspection, sales?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here