Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Property Damage Estimate - trees

Posted by gardeningwithlcgrace NE PA (gardeningwithlcgrace@yahoo.com) on
Thu, Jan 24, 08 at 14:12

I'm trying to figure out what forum to post in. If you've got any ideas..please let me know.

There was a car accident in our front yard. The driver left the road and took out 4 trees on our side yard and took out my lilac bush.

I was contacted by the insurance agent and was given an offer. I'm not sure if I should just accept the 1st offer or bargain. I'm waiting for someone to give me a professional estimate.

The lilac bush was 10ft tall and a beautiful spread of about 8 ft. It was many branches coming up from the bottom. I'm guessing it to be at least 15 yrs old. The 4 trees are (1) 6" diam, (2) 4" diam, & (1) 3" diam. They were all about 15 ft tall.

The only thing that I'm concerned with is the lilac bush and reseeding the yard but if insurance is going to compensate...well...I want to get what is due (and fair).

Any ideas where I can look online for how to handle the situation? Or maybe a few of you have been in my position.

The offer looks good only because we aren't planning on replacing those trees.

Thanks! LC Grace

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Property Damage Estimate - trees

There are two ways of calculating the replacement value.

First, you call a local nursery and ask for the largest size of the respective plants they have/can get, and ask them for a quote including delivery and planting. Perhaps they'll have the same size, probably, it's going to be smaller.

Second, you call someone who is certified to do plant appraisals and ask for his input.

But honestly, if you're not going to replace the trees, take what they're giving you. You want what's fair, but to do with disingenuous motives is at least as wrong as getting a poor offer.

And we wonder why the rest of the world hates us.

o
RE: Property Damage Estimate - trees

Thanks so much for your advise and opinion, I think. My question was on how to handle the situation not for judgment.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here