Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theplayer

What do you pay for 1 gallon Perennial?

theplayer
19 years ago

Just wondering what garden center owners are paying in the Northeast for a true 1 gallon perennial(400 size pot).

I know prices have been creeping up, especially because of fuel prices....so what is the bottom line price for a true quality 1 gallon perennial including freight?

Comments (10)

• Deb49
    19 years ago

I'm not Northeast, but in my area (Chicago) prices run the gammit from 3.79 at Lowe's to 8.00-12.00 at Craig Bergmann's. It is tempting to say that Craig Bergmann's will have the latest and best cultivars, thus the higher price, but I have purchased even 'Jolly Bee' geranium at Lowe's. I pay higher prices (in my personal shopping business) when I am confident that the plant is correctly named and well cared for. Some of my wealthiest clients will only pay a 'Lowe's' price and others simply do not care as long as they love the plant. I guess what I am saying is that someone expecting low prices will only be happy paying less and someone expecting high quality plants does not look at the price.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    19 years ago

I'm not in the northeast either, but I would have to say it depends a lot on the plant in question. Certain common, standby perennials are available from my wholesale vendors for as little as $2.75 but most run $3.50 to $4.50. New intros, patented plants and less common selections can go up from there - double hellebores are running around $12.00 - $14.00 per gallon and I brought in a variegated Asian podophyllum last season that cost me $18.00 each. FWIW, I don't sell any gallon perennials for less than $8.99 and the vast majority are $9.99 to $12.99, but a number of more select choices are priced (retail) higher.

• miss_rumphius_rules
    19 years ago

I am in the NE and pay anywhere from 3.50 up, depending on the plant and the quantity I'm buying. The prices aren't that much different from Gardengal48's. Hellebores and new cultivars are a bit higher here. Why don't you call some nurseries and ask for an availability list--they all have pricing.

• superphosphate
    19 years ago

The one gallon is Home Depot's best seller.

It retails for $3.98.

They pay in the high $2's for a junkey trade gallon (.75g).
    They pay a certain vendor $3.53 for a real one gallon.

• theplayer
    Original Author
    19 years ago

wow..$3.53 for a true gallon...I would have thought it would be a little less...What do they retail it for ...$7.00????

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    19 years ago

$ 3.54 cents

• superphosphate
    19 years ago

Correction : it retails for $4.98 not 3.98.
    Buy $3.53. Sell $4.98

The one gallon retail was at $4.96 in 1995.
    As the quality actually improved over those years.
    The usual profit margin in the garden dept at Home Depot is 40%.

• toyon
    19 years ago

The one gallon is Home Depot's best seller.

It retails for $3.98.

They pay in the high $2's for a junkey trade gallon (.75g).
    They pay a certain vendor $3.53 for a real one gallon.

They pay another certain vendor that supplies about 80% of their gallon perennials $1.73/ea. This vendor charges independants $2.90/ea, but independants rarely buy from them.

• theplayer
    Original Author
    19 years ago

who is the vendor??? Is it a secret?

• superphosphate
    19 years ago

At $1.73 it is probably a "trade" gallon.
    Which is 3/4 gallon round.

The Home Depot has started a yearly gallon sale midsummer, in which the retail gallon price is something like 2.88.
    Sort of clears the decks.
    They don't have a clear policy about throwing, store to store.
    The garden dept is a huge moneymaker for Home Depot.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022