Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can anyone recommend wholesaler for liner of ornamental grass?

Posted by sandy0225 z5 Indiana (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 2, 06 at 17:40

just wondering if anyone has a good source for a liner or two or ornamental grass. Looking for a couple of liners of plugs to start for the late summer/fall sales season. I'd really like a place that wouldn't penalize me too heavily to split liners 50/50 between two varieties.
Also, any place you wouldn't recommend? you can e-mail me privately with that, if you want to. I don't intend this to be a "bash someone" posting.
Thanks for all your help,
Sandy
P.s. I do have dealers license, etc. but I'm just starting out small.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can anyone recommend wholesaler for liner of ornamental grass

Emerald Coast Growers in Florida is an excellent liner grower. I am not sure if you can divide the liners between two varieties but I know that they sell some ornamental grasses in smaller quantities (like 21 or 36 plugs). The quality is amazing - probably the best I've ever seen in ornamental grasses.

I've posted their internet link below. You can see their current availability and pricing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Emerald Coast Growers

o

thank you, I had found their site before but I hadn't heard anything about them. I'm signed up to get their pricing, so now I feel more confident about placing an order from them. I appreciate your help!
Sandy

o

Hi Sandy, I also second Emerald Coast Growers. They will split the flats into two varieties. They have a great product and are great to work with. Really nice people.

A few others I really like are: Walters Gardens, they will not split trays, but have only one tray minimum. Their plugs are fantastic. Kurt Bluemel has a minimum of about 2 trays. Huge selection. And Northwest Ornamental Grasses. I hesitated at first of buying something from the west coast, however they were are a great company to work with, they have a huge selection, and the grasses were excellent.

I wouldn't worry if I were you about ordering a full flat of one grass. I only started to sell grasses a few years ago, and they have become my number one seller.

Actually there has been no place I have ordered from wholesale, that has been poor quality.

Best of luck to you.

Polly

o

• Posted by Cady 6b/Sunset34 MA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 3, 06 at 11:18

Kurt Bluemel in Maryland is another nursery that sells grasses. It's a large operation. I believe that they sell by gallon containers, but also do some plugs and liners.

o

Cady is that a "gallon" or a "number one" container :)

o

• Posted by Cady 6b/Sunset34 MA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 3, 06 at 16:38

lol...I didn't mean to open that #1/1 gallon can of worms again.
Kurt Bluemel uses "gallon" in his price list. Might want to call and ask what that means!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bluemel's wholesale

o

I hesitated to suggest NW Ornamental Grasses since it is a west coast operation, but I heartily second their recommendation. A great company with a huge selection of grasses.

o

hortech in spring lake mi good selection great catalog or sawyer nursrey in hudsonville mi iam small bussiness and these places are very easy to deal with i use them a lot get hortech catalog it is great ed

o

sandy had more info for ya but email didnt work ?????

ed

o

ed,
I think I might have the e-mail problem fixed now, try again. I also am having problems with gardenweb sign on, see how it changed my user name from Sandy0225 to sandy9225? I don't know what's going on!

o

"I also am having problems with gardenweb sign on, see how it changed my user name from Sandy0225 to sandy9225? I don't know what's going on!"

What's going on was probably the capital "S" in Sandy. I used to be NJTea but GW/IVillage changed it automatically to "njtea".

o

• Posted by cady 6b/Sunset34 MA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 8, 06 at 9:08

Yes, it looks like the site no longer acknolweges upper case letters in use r names. I was "upper case" in my last post a few days back, but now I'm "lower case cady."

o

Sandy:

another good source is Hoffman Nursery, in North Carolina. Excellent quality, some different plug sizes available. Great customer service, too! PP

o

Floraland Farms & Nurseries is a division of Kurt Bluemel, Inc. located in St. Cloud, FL. We have a large selection of Ornamental Grasses & Bamboos from plugs to 10 gallons. Contact Dave or Jean (407)-892-7400 or visit K.B.I.'s website www.kurtbluemel.com. We also have a new catalog comming out next month (March 09).

o

Uh-oh...Floraland just broke the rules! No advertising!

o

Bluestem nurseries in Kelona B.C. has a large selection of perennial ornamental grass. They are set up to ship to the U.S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bluestem Nursery

o

I would pick a couple of grasses or plants I was interested in and search their names along with wholesalers that are near to you.

For example... If I wanted Mondo Grass I would type in Ophiopogon jaburan wholesalers
If I wanted to limit the area to try to fine a firm close to be I would add in my state..

As with many things ... sometimes the cost of shipping has to be considered. also if the firm is close by you could go over and see their operation.

o

Bluestem nursery ships to the US. (They are in Canada.) They are nominally wholesale and retail, with retail prices being about twice wholesale prices. I think 10 plugs of a species is their minimum order. For sale into the US you will likely have to pay a phytosanitary certificate fee. Typically 40 bucks per order.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bluestem is at

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here