Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerseytropics

Leasing plants/indoor plant care?

JerseyTropics
18 years ago

I was at my local mall when I saw some people in uniforms, taking care of there plants, I saw on there uniforms they were "Interior landscapers" and they lease out plants, to high end customers, and take care of them for a monthly fee. From the look of there plants, they don't do a very good job... I was wondering if I need anything more then a few good connections, and a business license to do this?

Thanks

John

Comments (13)

• nwnatural
    18 years ago

Most of those companies have greenhouses that they use to rotate stock. They'll leave the plants in place for 6 weeks or so, and replace the mall plant with a fresh duplicate. The mall plant then goes back into the greenhouse to rejuvinate.

Plus, a portable water tank.

• creatrixld
    18 years ago

I would think a chemical applicators license would be necessary. The greenhouse will probably need treating for insects, and the plants will probably have fungal diseases from time to time.

• redlove123
    18 years ago

Interiorscaping is a growing profession. Not everyone is good, but not everyone is bad either. I have been in this business for 8 years now. I have learned that you get what you pay for. Its not that easy to get into. You need a chemical applicators license, cliental, a great runing truck, (to move plants in), credit( to pay for new installs, plants , containters, ect..)Time to do the accounts, oh ya and 2 million in insurance.( for malls)

• plantwork
    18 years ago

I was a 'scaper off and on for a few years. I agree with everything redlove says.One thing that is critical though is hiring and training.This is a very physical job and it can get very boring.Having the right staff will be half your battle.
    You could also just be a 'one person' owner/operator,I'm looking into doing something similar.Good luck!

• JerseyTropics
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I was thinking about starting small, with a few accounts, just in small doctor's offices, and then growing from there. What do you base pricing on? Time + what kind of plants they have? I guess I need to do some market research? I wonder if I could combine it with other office services, like fish tank maintenance?

Thanks!!!
    John

• watergal
    18 years ago

Go to www.interiorscape.com. It is a forum for professional interiorscapers. Go back and read the old posts and you'll learn a great deal.

Anyone can get into the business, but making money at it takes a lot of business knowledge.

I've been working as an interiorscaper for about a year and a half. It is a very physical job, and if you work 40 hours a week, you have trouble making up the work for holidays when businesses are closed, snow days, days you are sick, etc. I just do the plant maintenance, not the business side. I work for a small company of about a dozen people, and the company owner handles all the sales calls, pricing, billing, etc.

Customers can be very picky and demanding. Some are real tightwads. Prepare to grow a really thick skin.

• angiegrow5
    17 years ago

I just discovered four month ago the leasing plants business and quickly fell in love with the idea, I got a job in that field just to find out how all the plant techs in the company hate the job and how stressfull is for them: English speaking(Americans) and non-English speaking people, I soon felt so uncomfortable since I was so happy doing my job and they were so miserable that I had not choice but quit. I am great with people,those plant went from dried and brown to green and glowing in four weeks, so I am thinking to do the work by myself,finally I found something that I enjoy doing but I do not have the money to start. I got a certificate in accounting and I speak English as a second language and a lot of clients told me they believe in me.

• watergal
    17 years ago

angiegrows, see if you can find another company where people like their jobs and each other. Perhaps a smaller, family run company - I know many people who have worked for a huge, national firm and really hated it. I love being a tech and feel that my company treats me well.

• bonnie_2006
    17 years ago

I am a plant care tech in Houston,Tx. I love my job because it is also my hobby.Getting paid for what you love is awesome! Its a physical job but thats good exercise.Ive never seen a fat plant care tech.You have to be a people person.We maintain the plants and replace them as needed with brand new plants.We usually give the old plants to the clients to take home.We water the plants heavy before vacation weeks so we dont have to worry.You dont have to have a chemical license since most pests can be controlled naturally.

• milette
    16 years ago

See this website. Maybe you are able to invest...I am not part of this business, I just came along this information and thought you might be interested. http://www.green-concepts.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Concepts

• heptacodium
    16 years ago

I'd be leery of getting into a business because someone else doesn't do what you consider to be a good job. In the plant world, most often, the condition of the plants has little to do with the people taking care of them...it has more to do with the language of the contract and the expectations of the people who own/manage the facility.

• watergal
    16 years ago

heptacodium has a point. There are clients who just want cheap, and they get what they pay for. The really nice looking plants are serviced by companies who charge more and deliver more. It's kind of like a McDonald's meal vs. a fancy steak house. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Right now, with the recession looming, people are getting very price conscious, and hiring the lowballers or cancelling the plant service altogether. It's a tough time to be getting into the industry, or trying to stay alive in it. There is also a real swing away from the "fern bar" look of the 70's and 80's to a stark minimalist look. Just one or a few big striking plants in a fancy, artistic container. Lots less maintenance income to be had on that.

• coolcat1_netscape_ca
    13 years ago

I'm growing a bean plant and my friends thought it was stupid until they tried it I think if people like us could introduce this to more people plants could be grown in all households or household gardens I will aware more people on Facebook if anyone could help then that's awesome don't forget msn or twitter so let's get to it because I think it could work do you? If this all goes through this century of the world could be very green as well by growing plants it looks nice, you get a good reputation and it helps the earth and gives oxygen! Whos with me let's start recruiting friends family and others!

Sponsored