Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cady_gw

'New England Grows!' trade show: Anyone going?

Cady
19 years ago

The big green industry trade show for NE... good seminar speakers this year (Ken Druse, Tony Avent and more). It's Feb 1-3, and if you register online by Jan. 15, you get a discount.

I look forward to this annual event, particularly because that's when I get my season's supply of ballpoint pens, yard sticks, free catalogs and other great stuff. (Remember that great thread on trade show giveaways?)

Seriously, if you're within a 75 mile radius of Boston, it's worth coming to this show. Good presentations, lots of vendors, a job board, and opportunities to make connections with suppliers.

Comments (11)

• laag
    19 years ago

I'm going, not sure which day.

• goblugal
    19 years ago

Not me, but I think someone from my company will be there. I'm heading to the Gulf States Hort Expo next week in Mobile AL. Hoping for warmer weather than MI!!!

• Cady
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Smart move, goblugal. Mobile is much nicer in February than Boston. Us locals have no choice.

Wonder why the Southern Nursery Association has its show in August, in Atlanta...

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    19 years ago

Not going to BeanTown but will be hitting the NorCal Hort Trade Show here in not so sunny California.

( no worries here about a summer time drought this year .... it's been raining non stop for weeks ! )

• miss_rumphius_rules
    19 years ago

Likewise, couldn't go to MANTS (Mid-Atlantic Nursery Trade Show) this year, so I'll go to the NJNLA(NJ Nursery & Landscape Association) show later this month. Smaller, more local, much more vocal! Gotta love the Bobcat guys!

• goblugal
    19 years ago

Am personally counting down the days to the CA Pack Trials in early April. Can't beat California in April after the Michigan winter gloom....

• Cady
    Original Author
    19 years ago

When you live in climates like goblugal's and mine, any spot of green is enough to make us drool (right, goblu?). I count down the days to the New England Grows and New England Flower Show, and spend as much time as possible poring over my garden design books and job sketches, and sitting among my cluster of tropical plants overwintering in the house.

• yama
    19 years ago

Hi Cady
    Move to Georgia Cady. You don't have to have expensive winter cloth. less property tax. gasolin is much cheaper, street is wider and smooth.More sunny days than New England. Bamboo grow better than New England.Don't have to have vehecle inspection, no toll road, no earthquake, no mud slide, no snow, much less to heat a home ,less rocks in ground, House are much cheaper too. while everybody has trade shows in winter, you can visit to the trade show in midle of summer, with large parking space. you don't have to use train nor buss to get there. also it was free registration last year...............^-^, ^-^ ..............mike

• Cady
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Yes, but Georgia has fire ants, copperheads, and 6 months of sweltering, sweat-wringing heat and humidity. In New England we can always put on another layer of clothes when it's cold, but how many layers of clothes can you REMOVE in Georgia, when it's hot, without being arrested? ^*^

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    19 years ago

Cady and Mike,
    I suggest a compromise,
    Move to Northern California.

You can garden all year round with all kinds of different bamboo ( can I tempt you with Otatea acuminata aztecroum ,Mexican Weeping Bamboo or Dendrocalamus asper , Giant Burmese bamboo ) . There is endless sunshine with not a drop of rain from late April thru October. ( think of it as irrigation installation income ! )

We have the occasional earthquake, ( what's a little shake rattle and roll to a couple of old rockers like yourselves ? )

Our roads are in good shape although you might not notice if you're caught in morning rush hour traffic, and we don't have tolls except to cross the Golden Gate Bridge ( $5 ) if you happen to have a job in Japantown in S.F. and commute from marvelous Marin.

The cost of housing is about on par with some areas of Taxachusetts.
    But as one moves further away from the city you can find some more reasonable prices for land such as the property near one of my favorite nurseries, The Bamboo Sourcery in Sebastopol CA.

com'mon now, relationships are all about compromise,,,, give Northern California a chance.

( We even have a Sake winery in Napa Valley )

• Cady
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I would move to northern California in a heartbeat, and Mike has already lived there for a while. It will be a few years before Mike and I can afford to move anywhere, though!

Sponsored