Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mudhoney

Landscapers and seasonal affective disorder

mudhoney
16 years ago

I'm a landscaper and every year when the rains come in (about mid november) I start losing motivation and energy. Even if I have jobs, I'm not highly motivated to get going on them this time of year. Even working on designs is like trying to pull my own teeth. But then, come about February, I'm chomping at the bit to get going on some good-sized project. I've got two questions for other professionals--do you notice that same seasonal wax and wane of mood and energy? and do you think you chose an outdoor profession because of a physiological need to be outdoors as much as possible? Same questions if you work in a greenhouse most of the time.

Comments (10)

• watergal
    16 years ago

I've had severe S.A.D. for many years, since my teens or 20's (I'm now in my 40's). Mine starts in October and doesn't let up until mid to late March.

I didn't get into plants as a profession until I was about 40. I found that working at a garden center was hard, because there was no work in January or February, and sitting around the house just got me more depressed. Now I'm doing interior landscaping, and working year-round helps, as does the physical activity required of the job.

I've also always hated cold weather, so doing outdoor landscaping in the winter, or outdoor ANYTHING, for that matter, is not something I want to do. I'd rather sit on the couch with my blanket and my warm puppy on my lap!

I've been into plants since I was a small child, so I'm not sure I chose the profession because of some physiological need, but that's an interesting concept. Would make a good doctoral dissertation for a psychiatric student!

Back when I was a stay-at-home mom, I did find myself wandering around the few greenhouses that were open in the winter, trying to get some light and a plant fix.

The upside of S.A.D., if there is one, is that I am exceptionally attuned to changes in daylight. I notice if one light bulb is burned out in a lobby, or I realize if it's been cloudy all week and the plants need less water than normal because of that. It also helps me choose indoor plants that are suitable to whatever amount of light the environment can give them.

There are lots of good ways to manage S.A.D., including anti-depressants, light therapy, herbal supplements, diet and exercise, etc. Email me if you'd like some suggestions. My S.A.D. is not gone, but it's under control, for the most part.

• calliope
    16 years ago

You may have something there. I think many of us who gravitate toward the green industry are very attuned to the seasons. I can hear/smell/taste/see and feel the changes in the weather on a daily basis.

I still seem to be plenty active in my very short down time of six weeks from Christmas to Mid February, but really need to schedule other projects in that time to focus my energy.

I've never been diagnosed with SAD, but really think those of us who do not work in interior cubicles are more in tune with the normal human circadian rhthyms, and that's not necessarily a bad thing at all because we're not forcing our bodies to adapt to an artificial clock/calendar.

• rachel_z6
    16 years ago

I don't think I started in the green industry in order to get more outside time. It was for love of the plant cycle (so I respect winter's part in that), and for loathing of corporate america. But I do definitely notice a change in myself as the year wans. I used to attribute it to end-of-year burn out, but the cold and waning light definitely makes a difference in how I handle being tired and stressed. A combination of all three (burn out, cold, low light) makes it hard, because I have roughly the same outdoor conditions in October as in March, and it's much easier to get going in March after a winter's rest. By mid-winter the inertia of inactivity really gets to me. I could be outside now doing stuff, but it's *freezing* and I give myself permission not to because it's a time of rest. In the past I wasn't sure if winter blues were because of no work (boredom, money worries, feeling unproductive), or actually SAD. I'm keeping a more keen eye on it this year, to see if I can figure it out. I actually left myself a note sometime last year--found it on my calender for 12/21 that reminded me to enjoy my winter, to rest, regroup and to give myself permission just to stare out the window before I started the winter study and seed stuff. Perhaps last year I really didn't know what to do with myself and went nuts. I know that right now, even though it's very cold, I feel a little bit optimistic because I know that the days are starting to get longer. The worst is past. In just a few weeks I'll be in the greenhouse all day long, so I'd better enjoy the loafing while I can.

• watergal
    16 years ago

I do think the demands of the holidays can really ramp up the stress level and make anyone tired, cranky and depressed.

One symptom that I definitely notice during the S.A.D. period is a severe craving for fats and sweets, preferably together. I crave the sugar/seratonin high that the junk food gives me. In the summer, I can control myself much better (plus there are lots of yummy fresh fruits available).

• ian_wa
    16 years ago

I don't have SAD (not that I know of anyways) but I definitely share all of the other (non-medical) negative sentiments about being in this industry in the winter. I wouldn't mind spending 4 - 5 months of the year in a cubicle (or in Tucson...LOL) if it meant minimizing my exposure to cold, wet weather and getting to enjoy the outdoors the rest of the year. Maybe I chose the wrong profession.... or maybe I just need to make more professional contacts in a warm climate!

Here in Washington the worst part is when June comes along and it's STILL 48 degrees and raining! AAAGH!!! But by then there are quite a few comfortable to warm days mixed in.

• mudhoney
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the feedback-I forgot to ask how others deal with SAD! I'm pretty sure that when I worked in a greenhouse I did better, perhaps because of the warmth and light exposure. I'm working on building a small greenhouse to do winter potting up and propagation on the theory that this might help.

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

One of the most chronic problems in this field is S.A.D.*

*Seasonal Accounts Diminishment

• sarahbarah27
    16 years ago

Hi Sarabera. Funny, my screen name is Sarahbarah! hahaha. Anyway, I totally notice a lag in energy come mid to late october, and as of last week i have been dying to get outside and start getting to work, and start sowing seeds inthe GH. However, i dont think that i really have SAD, I think I just get tired in the fall after a long season of work, I guess i kindof change along with the seasons...haha! I think that having the need to be outdoors plays a big role in why people chose this type of profession, thats why i did. Ever since i school i hated being couped up inside, i couldnt imagine working 40 hours a week indoors, all the time, behind a desk...yuck! The three-four monthes i have to be inside is enough, more than enough!!! I Definately think that a greenhouse will help you, I know it makes me happy sowing seeds and waiting/watching them start to grow, its the beginning of a new cycle in life...i think thats why it makes me so happy. I have a greenhouse, but i don't start it up till the end of Feb/beginning of March. Too expensive to heat all winter. But yes...I think the light and warmth of a greenhouse just might be what you need to shake the SAD. Good Luck!!!
    Sarah

• drtygrl
    16 years ago

I agree with you about SAD - i have no motivation for work in the winter and I am raring to go in the spring
    But interestingly, I saw a client today that is usually only here in the summer and she commented on how relaxed and happy I seemed, so maybe its just end of the season burnout?

• gabrieljosh
    14 years ago

It can be hard to handle symptoms of seasonal affective disorder. SAD is triggered when hours of daylight become less plentiful during the winter months, and can hit people in high latitudes particularly hard. Light therapy is one of the most straightforward and natural solutions for people who suffer from this disorder. When the light mimics outdoor, natural light, it creates a biochemical change in your brain that leads to a positive frame of mind. A particular benefit of this therapy is that the lights are available without a prescription. Also, this style of treatment doesn't usually lead to side effects.

source: http://www.ergonomic-resources.com

Here is a link that might be useful: ergonomic-resources

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company