Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigviclbi

Proffesional Question

BIGVICLBI
19 years ago

Hi I have a question about the design/build process with Landscape Designers. Do most of them hire contractors to do their work, or do most of them do it themselves? I am a landscape contractor in my third year in NJ and would like to contact some designers to see about working for them, but what would be the best way of goibg about this. I feel like I would sound desperate calling them, but I would like to start working with a "design professional" as I think it would be a good learning experience. I am also looking for good design software, Landscape Pro looks good but is about $1000. I've used cheaper programs well, but really want my designs to look as good as my finished gardens do. Any info would be great.

Comments (12)

• laag
    19 years ago

Most landscape designers build their landscapes. Many of those do not want to, but need to in order to survive (compete). I think you could find designers willing to work with you if you are truly willing to work with them. By that, I mean that they want, really need, to have their work built as they have designed it.

One of the biggest complaints designers make is that the contractor does not want to follow the plan and sometimes contradicts the designer to the client to avoid doing something he does not want to. At the same time, experienced contractors may be aware of things on a plan that won't work as intended. It is a two way street.

You should be able to find plenty of designers who would like to use you, especially if you are more equiped and have the skills to get the job done as long as you both communicate through the design to make sure that each is comfortable with the plan.

Your post does sound more like you want to use the designer to train you rather than form good working relations with, though. If that is the case, your not on the right foot for building a good trusting relationship with designers.

You really might want to think about staying focused on the build part of the relationship. The money is in selling product and labor. That is what a contractor does. If you can get work and devote 100% to the build aspect you would be more profitable and efficient than if you split your own time as a designer and contractor. Just a thought from someone who knows.

Building good relations with designers will bring good work to you. The designers are going to be a lot more comfortable hiring you when they know that you are not competing with them in the design market. Sort of like you being more comfortable hiring an irrigation only company as a sub vs. another landscape contractor that does irrigation.

Decide whether you want to get work from designers, have an in house designer, or wear both hats yourself.

An in house designer (other than yourself because it takes too much of your time) is the best way in my opinion. The designer is a marketing expense (but sometimes the design fees cover it). The in house designer can be trained to design only what you are willing to build. He/she will have a marketing advantage in that your company is one stop shopping and the price of the design is not the sole source of income (design costs the consumer less, they like that).

I would suggest that you approach a designer to give him design work to start the relationship rather than asking him to give you work. Who is not open to getting more work? You have to adopt a two way attitude to make it work. You can't just say feed me.

• Odie99
    19 years ago

There are independent landscape designers, such as myself, that do designs for homeowners and contractors and install the occasional small job. I choose to work with landscape craftsman that are specialized, not jack of all trades.

The best way to forge a relationship would be through referrals. Many installers use independent designers due to the cost of a full time design staff. It is most important, you and the designer are thinking the same when it comes to the customer. The entire process is about what the client wants and needs. A designer can draw anything. The design has to fit a budget and be able to be installed by the contractor.

You would not sound desperate calling in a designer to establish a relationship, or better yet to consult on an impending job. But, you had better be sincere. If you are shopping software, what are your intentions. The software is simply a drawing aid, not a design tool. Many years of education and practical knowledge seperate a good designer from a landscaper that installs.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    19 years ago

Laag, as always, has made some very good points. It's a little difficult for me to comment on business practices on the other side of the country, but in my area there are a lot of independent design-only professionals and we are always on the look out for qualified and experienced contractors. I work with about 5 different contractors depending on the location of the job and its size and specifications.

I have also stopped using several smaller contractors because of their lack of any cross referrals. As laag indicates, this is not a one way street. I am more than happy to refer them installations if they will turn the occasional design referral my way, but a few of them seem to think that they should have their cake and eat it too and do the designs as well, usually with varying degrees of competency.

The largest contracting outfit I utilize is in fact a design-build company. The principal is a very competent designer in his own right but consistantly passes on design referrals to me that he doesn't have the time to address or are smaller than which he wishes to undertake. So far this has been a very satisfactory and mutually beneficial relationship.

I can't comment on the software as I am of the old school and hand draft all my designs.

• The_Mohave__Kid
    19 years ago

Working for .. Working with a designer are two different situations. The biggest problem is the "law of diminishing profits". Another obstacle is the "pointing finger syndrome" .. that entails when things go wrong. Last but not least .. "who really gets the credit syndrome" translated as who gets called first or does not get called when the client wants more work or has a referal. In other words who is building a client bas and who is just making a buck ?? What happens when the designer calls another contractor or leaves town ect ect..

Ofcourse if you can solve those problems or live with them a "good designer" could be the source of some nice work ... just do not get too dependent on one source of leads.

Working a deal with a bona fide architect sounds interesting IF AND ONLY IF you are ready to build AND make a profit on bigger jobs .. a every day designer .. designing jobs that you are ready to build yourself .. my own view .. No Thanks.

Good Day ...

• BIGVICLBI
    Original Author
    19 years ago

thanks for the thoughts i think i will call some local designers and see what happens. it will take a little of the fun out of it though, huh? but i also would love to be as busy as possible. i think near me most people design-build themselves, and most designers are not formally trained but are more skilled on the install part of it. thanks again!!

• janissarie
    19 years ago

There are designers/landscape architects out there looking to have jobs installed. If you have design work to be done and don't have the time/experience/confidence to do the work yourself, farm it out to a design professional. It should turn into a two way street.

• lnscapr
    19 years ago

I recently attended a Professional Hort. Conference and one of the speakers (a Landscape Architect) preceeded his talk by asking the audience of several hundred people how many were landscape contractors. Many raised hands. He then said "You may be a great landscape contractor, but you are probably not a landscape designer. My best advice to you would be to find good designers and pay them well because they can make a lot of money for you." It was the first time in my 12 years as an independent landscape designer that I heard that said so directly (and from an LA, no less!) Last year I designed and sold well over $600,000 in installation jobs for the three contractors with whom I work...from $3000 to $80,000 projects. The designer and contractor are a team....if both are honest, fair and do good work it can be a great relationship.

• creatrix
    19 years ago

Landscaper, I was at that talk also. I was glad to hear the speaker say that.That you are making it as design onlyalso gives me hope. I know several of the other posters are design only as well. I'm trying it, and am lucky enough to have a contractor referring me. He liked the drawing I did for my front yard when he came to bid the new sidewalk. I have also worked part-time in a garden center that does not offer design, and got some clients last spring, and am hoping they will hire me again this year. It does take a while to get going in this business! But that's ok- I'm still really slow at designing. It's hard to balance part-time jobs and time for the design work! But I managed a full time job while I went back to school to study this, so I guess I'll keep on managing.

• laag
    19 years ago

LA's are landscape designers. Why would those words be a surprise?

• lnscapr
    19 years ago

No offense intended, laag. I was just a bit surprised when he suggested contractors hire a "landscape designer" as opposed to a "landscape architect". (which he is) Here in this neck of the woods there have been some strains between Designers and LAs pushing for legislation for licensure in areas which could impact work traditionally done by landscape designers and contractors. Most of the LAs I know are not involved in residential design but work for engineering and architectural firms doing commercial and environmental work. There is plenty of work around here for everyone.

• califajoy
    18 years ago

My only advise is if you are contractor looking for designer/architect, find out if they have field experience.

If you get the plan which is not practical to install, or too pricy, or no details, don't waste money on these designers.

• chad_la
    18 years ago

We design/build our own projects 90 percent of the time while selling the occasional set of plans or doing the work from someone else's. (which i cant stand doing)
    ** i dont care if Jesus himself drew up your plans... im NOT planting asian jasmine in the same beds as creeping juniper**
    Thats a prime example of plans drawn by someone thats never actually touched a real plant before.

Where i'd suggest you get your feet wet in designing are with what we call "contractors packages" in which a modest new home construction gets the handfull of shrubs, grass seed and a tree or two with maybe some light grade work or irrigation. A three man crew can knock out several of these in a day and will give you a lil exp in planting what you want to instead of what youre told to. building contractors are the folks to discuss this with.

I will also concur the mention of doing things "old school" and drawing the stuff out by hand just be sure to check your state's licensure requirements as certian certs may be needed to actually sell a customer a set of plans.

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus