Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wildiris_gw

How profitable is a backyard nursery?

wildiris
20 years ago

I am thinking about starting a backyard nursery and am wondering if it will be as profitable as I am hoping. Are there any success or failure stories out there? Can you earn a decent living doing it without spending a fortune to get started?

Comments (145)

• sandy0225
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Well, checking back on this thread 3 years later nearly. I did get my nursery license, we now have three greenhouses and I'm selling at 3-4 farmers markets. We're doing spring plants, perennials, hanging baskets, pond plants and veggies. I'm the president of the water garden society so that helps with pond plant sales.
    But on the down side, I'm working my butt off from January-November, and probably making way less than minimum wages. And my boss is sometimes still a jerk! LOL...

• pamghatten
    15 years ago

Am I'm am still growing and selling daylilies as a part time hobby, still work full time. Am getting lots of repeat business and more business thru the daylily groups I belong to.

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

When I took (somebody else's) plants to a farmer's market for awhile it was a hard sell, being there probably served primarily as a way to promote the business (and some additional sales out on the growing grounds) rather than as a significant source of direct income - I think my best session brought in about 20 or 30 bucks or so. This caused me to wonder how others who seemed to be trying to use the markets here as a significant outlet for their plants were doing.

Since then the farmer's markets within my travels have tended to become Saturday markets instead, dominated by bric-a-brac etc. instead of plants and other farm goods. Likewise, this year's Spring Garden Faire at a country town I visit frequently was almost entirely non-plant goods, multiple growers who were there just last year not coming back this time.

• ian_wa
    15 years ago

I started off in 2005 selling mail-order plants and seeds. I wouldn't have guessed at the time that the business would take the direction it has: now I'm spending more of my time catering to wholesale customers (almost all nurseries) and doing xeriscape planting plans for people. Meanwhile the mail order end of things has sort of gone by the wayside. Maybe I'll give it one more shot but at some point I'll have to come to some decisions about what kind of business model is really going to work the best for me. Financially things haven't really come together yet which is why I have to remain open to the possibilities and continue trying to refine my business model.

It really takes a special kind of person to make money selling plants at "Farmers Markets." Michael Dolan at Burnt Ridge Nursery apparently still finds it worthwhile to sell at the Olympia Farmers Market every weekend. I bet he makes a couple hundred bucks per trip which is pretty good.

• Sherwood Botsford (z3, Alberta)
    14 years ago

Well, I'll bring this interesting thread back to the top with a new post.

I'm a part time tree farmer. It's a bit bigger than back yard. I've got 80 acres and about 3 are tied up in the tree farm at this point. I've got about 15,000 trees growing in pots.

Yes it's a lot of work.

No, I'm not getting rich. May and June were about 10K total. I expect 5-10 for the remainder of the season.

My goal is 60,000 gross profit on 100,000 sales.

Things I've learned:

Buy equipment that does multiple things. My tractor: Mows grass, hauls firewood, pulls a trailer, ploughs, disks, and harrows. If you can't use it at least 200 hours a season and it has a motor, you don't need it.

Time what it takes to do things.

Example: Miro makes a pot filling machine that makes a cascade of dirt. Fills a pot in record time.

But I've found that I can plant seedlings in 1 liter styroblock trays in 12 seconds per tree. In 2 gallon pots 30 seconds per tree. Reducing this time makes no sense, as there is another minute to load it on the trailer, unload it at the pot yard, and mulch it. A $15,000 machine compared to a $8 grain scoop isn't a win until I can keep that machine busy for a good chunk of the season.

On the flip side $1000 spend in a rototiller for my tractor means that I have nice soft soil without clods to fill pots. I also have an easy way to fill pots.

Be patient. I can start with a 40 cent 1 year old seedling, or a 70 cent two year old seedling. I go with the first. In a year, they have almost doubled their value.

Use polypropylene pipe for your irrigation. It flexes. submerge it into the soil only far enough to avoid the mower. This makes it a lot easier to change yoru mind later about how the pipes should be laid out.

Learn about micro irrigation.

Don't borrow money. That way you are never tempted to do something shady just to make the bank payment.

Find a web authoring system you like, and write your own stuff. Let your passion show.

I figure that my time breaks down into the following chunks:

* Production. This is a day I can, at the end of it, point to a pile of potted plants and say that my inventory has increased in value by X.
    * Maintenance. Weeding, watering, fixing plumbing, mowing grass.
    * Infrastructure. New plumbing, fields, mist house, sheds.
    * Marketing and sales. Turning that inventory into cash. Web work. Ads for Kijiji. Talking to people on the phone, tours.
    * Self education. Learning more about what I sell.

I try to make summer production and M&S, but way too much ends up being M & I

Learn your market. A tree that is shorter than the customer is a tough sell. I spend a lot of time educating my customers.

Keep records of who you sold to.

Stand behind your product. I guarantee my trees for a year. Sure some people won't take care of it. Some people will lie. On the flip side, some people will forget they bought it from me, some people will know that they didn't take care of it, and don't deserve another. This spring about 400 trees have gone out. The people who have contacted me have been ecstatic that they are thriving and growing.

Once you have a decent web page, find every local directory you can, and get yourself in tht list.

Kijiji and Craigslist are good places to advertise, but think about what you say. If you search Edmonton, Canada for tree farm you can find example ads I wrote.

14 years ago

Well, I'll bring this interesting thread back to the top with a new post.

I'm a part time tree farmer. It's a bit bigger than back yard. I've got 80 acres and about 3 are tied up in the tree farm at this point. I've got about 15,000 trees growing in pots.

Yes it's a lot of work.

No, I'm not getting rich. May and June were about $10K total. I expect 5-10 for the remainder of the season.

My goal is 60,000 gross profit on 100,000 sales.

Things I've learned:

Buy equipment that does multiple things. My tractor: Mows grass, hauls firewood, pulls a trailer, ploughs, disks, and harrows. If you can't use it at least 200 hours a season and it has a motor, you don't need it.

Time what it takes to do things.

Example: Miro makes a pot filling machine that makes a cascade of dirt. Fills a pot in record time.

But I've found that I can plant seedlings in 1 liter styroblock trays in 12 seconds per tree. In 2 gallon pots 30 seconds per tree. Reducing this time makes no sense, as there is another minute to load it on the trailer, unload it at the pot yard, and mulch it. A $15,000 machine compared to a $8 grain scoop isn't a win until I can keep that machine busy for a good chunk of the season. 1200 for a trailer that is only 6" off the ground would be a better investment.

$1000 spent in a rototiller for my tractor means that I have nice soft soil without clods to fill pots. I also have an easy way to fill pots, break new land for use, exhaust the weed seed bank, break up root balls of trees that died in the pot.

Be patient. I can start with a 40 cent 1 year old seedling, or a 70 cent two year old seedling. I go with the first. In a year, they have almost doubled their value.

Use polypropylene pipe for your irrigation. It flexes. submerge it into the soil only far enough to avoid the mower. This makes it a lot easier to change yoru mind later about how the pipes should be laid out. And you will change your mind.

Learn about micro irrigation.

Don't borrow money. That way you are never tempted to do something shady just to make the bank payment.

Find a web authoring system you like, and write your own stuff. Let your passion show.

I figure that my time breaks down into the following chunks:

* Production. This is a day I can, at the end of it, point to a pile of potted plants and say that my inventory has increased in value by X.
    * Maintenance. Weeding, watering, fixing plumbing, mowing grass.
    * Infrastructure. New plumbing, fields, mist house, sheds.
    * Marketing and sales. M&S Turning that inventory into cash. Web work. Ads for Kijiji. Talking to people on the phone, tours.
    * Self education. Learning more about what I sell.

I try to make summer production and M&S, but way too much ends up being M & I

Learn your market. A tree that is shorter than the customer is a tough sell. I spend a lot of time educating my customers.

Keep records of who you sold to.

Stand behind your product. I guarantee my trees for a year. Sure some people won't take care of it. Some people will lie. On the flip side, some people will forget they bought it from me, some people will know that they didn't take care of it, and don't deserve another. This spring about 400 trees have gone out. The people who have contacted me have been ecstatic that they are thriving and growing.

Once you have a decent web page, find every local directory you can, and get yourself in tht list.

Kijiji and Craigslist are good places to advertise, but think about what you say. If you search Edmonton, Canada for tree farm you can find example ads I wrote.

Put more than one string on your bow:

I'm starting to advertise for cut your own cristmas trees, because it will be a big profit stream, but because it creates brand awareness: More people learn who I am.

I'm planting rows of stuff for floral greens. The big season for selling trees is May and June, with a bit in July and a bit in September. Pussy willows and dogwood can be harvested and forced in February and March.

• myfamilysfarm
    13 years ago

I'm bringing this to the top again. With the economy the way it's been the last couple of years, is a backyard nursery still a money making venture? I do a farmers market and been starting my plants inside my house. I just start veggie plants at this time. I'm not sure if I want to start flowers and herbs yet or not.

Marla

• ian_wa
    13 years ago

WELL,... although I was one of the last people to add to this thread... it's interesting to look back and read what I wrote in 2008. I had forgotten there was a time when I was about ready to give up on mail-order... but yeah it was sort of true at the time.

So I'm still in business. And after a pretty lousy 2008 and somewhat better 2009, 2010 turned out to be by far my biggest sales year yet. It's hard to say why but it may just be that the business continues to expand as fast as possible in this slow economy, which isn't very fast but still steady - as more people find out about the nursery and get interested. Also in 2010, I managed to get back on track with the mail order keeping my plant list updated regularly enough. The biggest surprise was that so many people wanted to come out here and shop for plants - I'm not exactly on the beaten track. I ended up doing a lot more retail sales last year than in the past (all by appointment as the nursery isn't really "open" to the public). I think part of my success was just creating a larger inventory in general. If I just have a ton of stuff all around then more people are more likely to find something they want. I have to throw out a few old, tired, unsaleable plants occasionally but I also seem to get away with a lot of cutting it back hard and bumping it up to the next pot size when it looks bad.

I think that despite the economy struggling there is very much the potential for backyard nurseries to remain profitable. The reason some established garden centers are struggling and even closing seems a result of their failure to think creatively to compete and adapt to a changing world that no longer values old fashioned styles of communication and marketing - I notice they are often aware of market/consumer trends but fail to get their message out in the right channels. There is definitely an opportunity for a backyard or specialty nursery that can avoid these pitfalls and carve its niche to find a place in the market.

• myfamilysfarm
    13 years ago

Thanks ian, I live 15 miles out of town and am thinking about opening my farm stand on the farm, in addition to doing the farmers market. I want a greenhouse, but didn't want to buy one just for my wants. Now, to find one that I can afford.

Marla

• hillbilly_hydro
    13 years ago

marla,
    build you a hoop house out of 1 1/4 inch pvc cover it with plastic setup heat and you will have a greenhouse ...
    most expensive thing will besetting up the heat.

• laag
    13 years ago

I saw that done once, Jethro. A light snow shattered it and made quite a mess, not to mention that the plants were lost.

• myfamilysfarm
    13 years ago

At this time, I have a 10x20 metal framed car canopy with plastic covering it. I also purchased and erected a 20x20 canopy. I didn't get it covered with plastic, just the cover that came with it. During one of the many storms this winter, the top came off, but the frame is still standing.

I really want a 'real' one, I'm not planning on heating it, except with Mother Nature's help. I'm not ready for the propane bills for that.

One year, we tried the pvc pipe stuck in the ground and bent over. The wind just took it away the first good wind we got. We even had it attached on one end.

We are in 'wind' country, north of us there are wind farms.

Marla

• ian_wa
    13 years ago

I've built several PVC houses in that style - they can work but need to be reinforced with wood to handle any serious wind/snow. Making it cost more to build one. I prefer to attach the hoops to a wood frame that runs along the ground, rather than just sticking them in the ground - that way they all stay the same height.

For free heat you might want to consider setting aside space for large barrels of water, which can be painted black to absorb the sun's energy. It helps significantly although it does take up some space.

• myfamilysfarm
    13 years ago

I put barrels of water in my 'greenhouse', unless the temps dropped to close to zero, the barrels stayed thawed.
    I was happy with it, just way TOO small. I always heard that no matter how large a greenhouse you get, it will always be too small too quick.

I'm getting into perinneals, just annuals for veggies for the main part, with some flowers and possibly a few herbs. I started off just growing my own plants, and then I grew a few more and retailed them at my farmers market.

This year, I'll be finding out whether I can draw enough people to my farm to be able to sell at home instead of driving to town to sell.

Marla

• 2fennelshirts
    13 years ago

I've been doing a backyard nursery for 12 years, last year was my last year for annual potting plants and hanging baskets (prices too low at big box stores now-a-days) I can't compete with the "big box stores" anymore!! I'm done doing annual flowers, this year I will grow alot more veggie plants (sell some here,some at the local farmer's markets, and plant the remainder in my own gardens for fresh produce to sell at the farmer's markets. I also have 1000's of field grown perennials that I will dig up,divide and pot for the markets (little by little for 3 or 4 different kinds each week during the market season) I am also starting up a u-Pick raspberry set-up this spring. Hoping that will be a better ave. I'm also ckecking on growing some veggies right in the ground in the green house, get a jump start for the markets. Still too cold here, it's been 5 degree the last few nites.

• naturapostel_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Despite advice to the contrary here, large businesses can not do what small businesses do, re nursery: the intensely special, highly skilled labor simply can not be contracted out for it takes great passion, energy and skill to perform those highly intricate steps needed and economy of scale and big business can not do it no matter who says otherwise. But it means real dedication and providing an extreme niche in the field you choose (i.e. not just orchids but special kinds of orchids only, etc.), real custom hand work on everything, better than anyone locally and most afar. If you do that and stick to it, never forgetting that you are a part-time BACKYARD nursery and not a small COMMERCIAL nursery, you may succeed with modest returns, and a whole lot of luck.

• Ablossom
    11 years ago

Mike's advice about growing and propagation are as good as any other experienced gardener's and he has some cheap down-home style tips that are pretty good. I've been reading them for years and have learned a thing or two. He pushes his system pretty hard, but I just can't see paying for information that's available from my county extension service or the local library. As far as making money goes, I think I read somewhere that Mike's plant farm is in Madison County, Ohio. If location is the key to a staying business, he has one of the best-we call it nursery row in northeastern Ohio. The soil and conditions are great and there are a lot of growers, landscapers, and maintenance professionals that get most of their plants from that area. If his driveway is on the main route and he sets them out for sale cheap and in season-he probably makes a good chunk a' change. It might not be so profitable on my dead end street in Podunk. That being said, if you have the room to cart your wears to a local farmer's market, you might make some extra cash doing that. Of course, there are the pots to get and the potting mix and fertilizer, your time and gas, if you haul them anywhere and back again. 'better make sure there's a market before you invest very much.

• Allie2259
    11 years ago

Hi There,
    I have recently moved to property we own and have started what the nurseries here call dooryard nurseries.
    We have planted a number of fruit trees and berries along with cold hardy citrus and herbs and vegetables to begin the nursery. I will share that if you visit local nurseries and explain your vision, most of them will sell at wholesale cost which will save you a lot of money going in. We made the mistake of purchasing $60+ trees going in at Home Depot. I took a chance, shared my vision and started visiting local nurseries and have saved hundreds. I also located a wholesale only compost dealer and have been able to purchase high grade compost at cost. I will tell you to do your research as far as soil prep, protection of your crops during extreme hot days and hard freezes. Learn and study your growing seasons and watering requirements of each crop and if at all possible, buy locally to your zone and weather patterns. We are in our second growing season and have folks waiting for chemical free, homegrown food. Good luck with your venture, especially if you love gardening. Lots of planning and preparation is necessary, so be patient and vigalent. You can also search farmer's markets in your area and find out their requirements for selling your produce. Some local stores also look for local growers. And yet another option; ask friends, family, neighbors, church members, etc., if they will be interested in buying your produce. Hope this helps.

Happy Planting!

• neonrider
    10 years ago

I want to register a backyard nursery in South Carolina. I do not plan to grow alrge, but rather want to remain a small operation one person business for selected quality plants of limited variety mostly sell to retailers with revenue maximum $3000 per month. Could someone please advise, in SC, what do I have to get? A town business license? State Sales Tax account? SC Dept. of Agriculture license? Will it be worth it to spend money on town license, $50 on SC Sales Tax, then SC DOAgr perhaps another fee?

• neonrider
    10 years ago

Talking to many nursery and tree farm owners I realized how little they know about the plants and trees that they are selling and how nothing they know about other (better) varieties of trees and plants that they have not even a clue that exist and can be grown. They told me that most people just want the generic brands of limited variety, which made me feel sad for those people.

• loewenzahn
    10 years ago

I read thorough the thread and learned some things.
    Maybe there is a huge difference in making some bucks extra and making a living. I don't want to make a living but sell garage sale style (but a bit more stylish and I will serve a cup of tea too). We don't have regulations here thankfully. Our local nursery has closed and the next one is 9 km away (owned by the same guys). When I got there and wanted to buy something they never had a thing, told me that maybe they could get it in but didn't know at what price and when. The problem is that these small nurseries have to compete with internet sales.
    I have collected a lot of pots, live in a climate were I don't need a greenhouse. I however have either to purchase potting mix ($75 ton) or the ingredients and hand mix (hurray) and I don't know if that is cheaper.
    I am about to stick a webpage together, which will look really great, and plant to put a complete plant list in. The web location will be on the add in the local paper. But - maybe - Big box stores try to set up a shopping experience.... isn't it a bit boring when you know what plants you can buy and maybe even the price?
    I want to make different groups of plants like essential cooking herbs or Chinese medicinal herbs or whatever. Lots of work to make signs though.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

It's all lots of work. As with any business study the market before investing much in something, the less speculation the better.

• wildrosepines
    9 years ago

I bought the Back Yard Growing System for my husband Ken. I'm not sure he was thrilled in the beginning but he is walking around and taking cuttings from everything and throwing them into pots and garden beds. It turns out most of them have buds on them now it is Spring.
    He has learned so much from Mike's course, it was probably the best money I ever spent on a gift for him.
    Do I think he will ever sell his trees and shrubs? Not likely. Once he grows them I do not believe they will be sold but instead end up in the back 7 acres that are relatively open here on our property in central WI. I envision rows and rows of pink weigela, dwarf burning bush, purple sand cherry, forsythia, lilac etc etc.
    But I will tell you this, he's never gardened before. It has been an amazing experience for him (and for me). Mike's system is easy to understand and easy to do. I do the flowers and he does the trees and shrubs. It works for us. I am glad he has the information he needs in one place.
    Jean

• boggardengirl
    8 years ago

Thanks for starting this thread, wildiris! I'm also considering starting a backyard nursery. The posts here are very informative. So much gardening wisdom in this bunch!

8 years ago

I had a note earlier. Years have passed -- let me bring you up to date:

The web page (google my name, I don't want to get in trouble for a business link) now has close to 300 individual pages, with advice, information about trees, and spelling mistakes.

I run about 30 ads at once on kijiji. Here Craigslist is moribund. This varies from city to city. Find the one that is used in your place.

We;ve got about 33K in orders so far. I made my second sale today, and we aren't open for another month.

Changes:

I now do a mix of grow my own and buy for resale: Here's the split:

* Poplar & Willow. Grow my own from cuttings, except Bebb's willow and trembling aspen.

* Those two, and conifers: Buy one to three year old seedings, and pot up. It takes a while, but I'm patient.

* Native species. If avialable as plugs, buy them, and pot up. Otherwise grow from seed.

* Fruit trees and ornamentals: Buy from a wholesaler, mark up and sell. Some of these are bought bare root (1/2 the price) and repot here.

Some seedlings are bought for resale. Or on spec. E.g. This year I knew I needed to start more colorado spruce. So I ordered 360, expecting to sell half of them. So far they aren't moving very fast. So I may end up starting 300 instead of 180. It all balances out.

When I buy ornamentals, I buy them 1 pot size smaller than my max regular pot. Leftovers can be transplanted into a larger pot. This gives me 2 more years to sell it.

I've become active on various local FB groups. Hort groups, permaculture group, fruit groups. This year I was asked to give a talk on growing fruit at Seedy Sunday. That in turn has resulted in a talk at a permaculture course coming up.

I try to hire local kids for the busy season. I like working with youth, although they have their challenges. They start at minimum wage, and generally work up to either their grade level (A grade 11 gets $11/hr) or I let them go. One boy is coming back for his third summer.

This year, I might make minimum wage.

• PRO
    Red Berm
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Very interesting thread about backyard business. I have bought specialty plants off ebay and etsy where I can't find them at normal garden centers (or wholesale places). I always do look for the specialty ones but like was said in an earlier post.. a lot of my installation clients just want the standard plants they see everywhere. Best of luck to you guys in growing your businesses.

• loewenzahn
    8 years ago

were do you sell?

8 years ago

Me? I'm in central Alberta, near Edmonton. Climate here is zone 3, native ecology is "Aspen Parkland" a mix of prairie, poplar and spruce in a patchwork formation. Most of it is now farms.

• loewenzahn
    8 years ago

I meant are you selling from your garden or do you do markets? Your climate zone sounds pretty chilly.

8 years ago

Chillybugs abound here. We routinely have temps low enough that lawyers are seen with their hands in their own pockets.

I've done farmer's markets; worthwhile to learn what people like, but low return on time. The bulk of my sales are farm gate. I'm not interested in 1 tree sales. Today I had someone who came in and bought 20 scots pine, 36 lodgepole pine, 20 golden willow, 32 colorado spruce, 4 lace weeping willow, 4 Sensation Lilacs.

Another customer got 2 pear trees, and 1 each of red and black currants and a gooseberry.

One came by to pick up 475 common lilac seedlings, 50 four year old black hills spruce seedlings.

Last night I sold 75 three foot high caragana to one person who drove 90 minutes to get here. I have another caller coming for 60.

One customer wants 1 each of 6 kinds of apples, 2 kinds of pears, and 4 kinds of plums.

• thomas3515
    8 years ago

If your in the area and have questions about plants, nursery, and gardening stop by Earthscape Nursery in Orlando. 1207 Hoffner Avenue Orlando, FL, 32809. Would love to answer any questions and help out in anyway possible.Earthscape Nursery

• Sarah Combes
    8 years ago

I am growing veggies , herbs etc in my garden for myself. I want to learn to grow bonsai and succulents and try and sell them online as a side income to full-time office work. Has anyone had any success selling online?

I am currently trying to research the laws/ requirements for shipping out of victoria to other accepted states in australia only.

• loewenzahn
    8 years ago

I am trying different markets so far. The investment in time is huge. If my insurance covers it I will try to do a stall in front of the local food coop. I am doing medicinal herbs kitchen herbs and food plants. The problem is that there are a lot of old people with little money buying plants.

Doing a webpage is a major pain. Writing an enticing text for each and every plant I have is a lot of work.

• Gordo309 (Tallahassee FL Zone 8)
    8 years ago

thomas3515 I could really use your words of wisdom. I am extremely interested in starting a small, yet growing backyard nursery that could eventually become more down the road. I am located in Tallahassee Fl, which isn't far from you at all. The surrounding area has a large wholesale called Clinton nurseries. I'm curious if there is a successful bussiness model that will allow me to start working with wholesalers and nurseries and transition to become more retail as the property grows. Another curious question I had is what about selling specifically to landscapers. As far as licensing and zoning permits go; I'm pretty lost on that as well. it seems every time I look to research a permit, I stumble upon another, but I won´t admit defeat. I am a 25-year-old studying for a horticultural science degree and I will eventually own my own nursery, I would just like to get a head start. All thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated.

• loewenzahn
    8 years ago

Gordo why don't you just start small without a big plan and try out different things? Simply propagate something and talk to gardeners or do some markets or do a garage sale. I think the best is trial and error and talk to the people what they really want.

• tammi1007
    8 years ago

My son and I are planning on starting a small backyard plant nursery. I have the acreage and a tractor. He will build a small - med greenhouse and propagation trays. We both are familiar with growing and maintaing plants. I have researched the laws and regulations and licenses we will need. We are in a rural community in East Texas. There are really no large towns near us over 35,000 population. We are not planning on shipping at this point.

We understand that this is a long term plan, hopefully growing bigger each year and by year five really starting to make a decent profit. Hoping to get a greenhouse buiilt this month so we can have at least some plants ready for spring.

What I am having diffuculty with is finding wholesale suppliers of pots and materials and would love to find a place to purchase starter plants for a good price.

Any help and advice or links would be appreciated.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    8 years ago

Use Google to search for:

Nursery Containers wholesale

Nursery Supplies wholesale

Grower Supplies

Nursery Liners wholesale (starter plants are called liners)

• loewenzahn
    8 years ago

If you buy starter plants would you make a profit at all? My thinking if a backyard nursery is you keep costs down as much as possible. I do cuttings from my own plants, many plants are simply propagated by "weeding around them". I try to get as much diversity as possible in my garden to get plant material.

• Tom Petroski
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I'm surprised no one has mentioned S Corp exemptions. I'm in the process right now of researching the viability of a small, backyard nursery business simply for the tax exemption benefits. Don't leave your job. Do this on the side and reduce your income to get a bigger refund at the end of the year. Sell some plants, pay taxes on it. Everyone wins.

http://backyardgrowers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/BACKYARD-NURSERY-E-BOOK-21gf2.pdf

8 years ago

Tom, do you have permission to publish that manual? Did you purchase it?

• zzackey
    8 years ago

tammi1007, I had a wholesale nursery for 10 years. I got most of my pots from the county landfill. Now I get pots from local landscapers for free. There was a catalog of wholesale plants called Plant Finders when I lived in Florida. You could ask your local Ag center where to buy plants.

8 years ago

Lol, now that's funny spam, kaylee.

• PRO
    My Landscape Guide
    8 years ago

Hi WildIris,

I know several millionaires who started with backyard nurseries. Humble beginnings can lead to big businesses, if that's what you want.

Just let the income lead expenses.

And try to pre-sell your crop so you have capital to spend while you're in the growing process. Difficult, yes, especially if you don't have a track record.

Good luck!

• Suzanne Daly-Galvin
    7 years ago

If you don't mind me asking what kind of trees do you sell? What are your best sellers?

7 years ago

Hi Suzanne

Not sure who you are asking. Since they don't thread this discussion properly, it's not clear who you are responding to.

Anyway, if it was me: I have 4 markets:

1. Seedlings; I over order for myself and sell extras. This year we brought in 17,000 seedlings, and sold about half.

2. Edible landscaping -- fruit trees, berry bushes. About 15% of total sales.

3. Shelterbelt trees -- poplar, spruce, pine, willow. Mostlly sold in 2-4 foot stages, small enough to plant with a shovel, big enough to miss with the mower. About 50% of sales.

4. Native species for naturalization and reclamation. So far about 10%, although some species are also shelterbelt trees. I split based on the intent of the customer.

I'm getting growing interest in ornamentals for city lots, but I'm competing with both the landscape companies and the Big Box Stores. Key there is to provide unusually trees, or sizes between the two.

7 years ago

But you asked what my most popular trees were:

This year:

• 1400 okanese poplar
    • 200 prairie sky poplar
    • 300 northwest poplar
    • 160 golden willow
    • 100 flame willow
    • 150 wolf willow
    • 100 choke cherry
    • 600 lilacs
    • 1000 cotoneaster
  • Nicola Bludau
    7 years ago

Space is a problem for most. One packet of seeds can become a space disaster and you have to sell off quickly to free up space. I don't have enough space. Everything you have in pots (at least most of it) needs a watering system. I would strictly go for plants that other nurseries don't have (I do compromises here to cover the range) and nothing the really big outlets do offer. I find everything annual not worth it. The time you can sell it isvery short then it lands in the compost. You will need the same pots, the same amount of potting mix and the same amount of carrying around boxes for a plant you can sell for eight weeks maximum.

• HU-20423566
    4 years ago

Hi guys, could you please advise me. I'm in my mid fifties and been out of work since '98 taking care of my cancer husband who had 18 fractures in his spine. He has recently passed away, so I want to get back on my feet. Unfortunately, too dumb to go back to school. Got one eye blindness due glaucoma that makes it difficult to see during night time, and I battling depression. Sorry for dumping my story, I really don't have anything to complain about, I am very much blessed. I do have a little tiny land attached to my house that I can use, so if you have any suggestions, it's greatly appreciated.

4 years ago

It's an awful lot of work, and the chances of being able to make a living in a backyard are small. I use 10 acres and make a living, but not a great one. If you are serious about this:

* Sell your house. Use the proceeds to buy an acreage about 45 minutes out of town. 45 mintues here is the magic number for prices. We bought a house and 80 acres for about what just a house in the city cost.

* Search Youtube for 'backyard nursery'

* Get a copy off of Amazon of Dirr's "Manual of Woody Landscape Plants" It's about 50 bucks second hand.

* If you are restricted for space and strength, the money will be in producing liners. A liner is a plant grown to be sold to other growers. Typically from 1 inch to 1 foot tall. Find out what's popular by visiting greenhouses and nurseries in your area. At each one find out if they buy pre-grown plants, or if they buy smaller plants and grow them to size. Garden centers tend to be the first, wholesale only nurseries tend to be the latter. Retail nurseries are often a mix.

* Pick things that are easy to propagate

* Pick a spectrum of things to spread the work load.

4 years ago

Don't sell your house! Sherwood, that's terrible advice for the situation.