Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lillexis

Container Garden Business

lillexis
19 years ago

A friend and I who are passionate about container gardening are thinking of starting a business, designing, planting, and optional mainenence of windowboxes, planters, pots baskets and small flower beds. Any sage advice?

Sources for pots, plants and marketing? Also, any name suggestions? We came up with The Lil' Garden Co., Lil' Gardens or using both our names, Lily's & Heather's Gardens.

Comments (11)

• dre7
    19 years ago

Sage advice: Pick a target group and specialize.

You sound perfect for small space design. With so many people moving into condos, balcony gardens are the new trend. People want outdoor living spaces with trees and vines, water features, and furnishings even if the space is only a few feet wide.

Your target group are busy, urban professionals, 30-55, who are interested in design and who like to entertain. Your business cards should be bold and slightly hip (no pastels or flowers, a bright red Japanese maple is more their style). Advertise in trendy coffee shops, the local entertainment magazine and in the arts section of the newspaper. Find out about getting (small, tastefully done) flyers delivered to target areas and once you have a portfolio, contact realtors to see if they'll recommend you.

Source out both local and online wholesalers for frost-free pots and alternative products made from recycled plastic (weight can be an issue) and find a company you can work with that installs micro-irrigation.

One more piece of advice: Your name should reflect what you do; Little Garden Co., Small Space Landscape Design for example. The potential client needs to see who you are at a glance.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

• Cady
    19 years ago

dre7 put in a nutshell exactly what I do! Niche businesses work if you start small and don't overextend. You can always add on services as demand increases. You'll be amazed at how much of a market there is for the small gardens-container design/install/maintenance service.

• watergal
    19 years ago

Don't forget to look at corporate clients. Our company does outdoor containers for upscale apartments, condos, hotels, and restaurants. But be clear up front about the limitations in the wintertime - some people think you can have lush tropical flowers outside all year and get p.o.'d after the pansies freeze.

• lillexis
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks dre7, Cady & watergal, it's exactly the advice I am looking for and need. This new venture is scarey but with the support system I found here, I'm gaining much needed confidence and direction.

• hotpots
    19 years ago

I have been working on starting a similar business myself. I have been specializing in home patio installations, but I think if I could get into a more commercial niche it would be more profitable. Better quantities of scale, etc.

I am also doing a little garden design on paper, but am not doing in-ground installation and thinking that may wind up being a difficulty. Any thoughts folks?

Thanks, Cindy

• GreenieBeanie
    19 years ago

I'd avoid the "lil'" this or "lil'" that.

Anyone willing to pay for this service is going to be a high-end or corporate client, and you want respect. The names you listed are a little bit quaint. Don't get me wrong, they're nice, but not right for the market you're going for. You want a name that will still serve you for years after you succeed.

Suggestions:

The Elegant Potter
    The Elegant Planter
    Primrose & Pots
    The Contained Garden
    The Container Garden
    H & L Gardens (But be *sure* it's a lasting partnership)

Just a suggestion.

Best of luck!

• Cady
    19 years ago

I like GreenieBeanie's ideas. Here's another...

Pots & Posies

• lillexis
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks INKognito & Greeniebeanie lots of food for thought

• seasidegardener
    19 years ago

I am also going to move into the world of container plant design, planting and maintenance. I currently do garden maintenance for several clients and thought this would be an added income producer(plus I just love the flexability and beauty of great containers). I had great success with several wonderful containers last year and people have been asking me to do their containers and windowboxes. I do have a question about pricing my work. Has anyone advice about how I should price my containers and window boxes? Also, I am having a hard time finding wholesale container companies that will deal with a small business like mine. Any suggestions on places that might have great prices on pots. Thanks for any advice you might have in this area.

• Cady
    19 years ago

Next year, go to New England Grows -- the green industry tradeshow for the region. There were lots of representatives from wholesale container and ornament distributors there, and everyone I talked with was willing to provide wholesale rates for small business people like me (and you).

Check out the New England Grows website and look at the listing of regional vendors who participated in this year's event. It might give you some leads. I can't remember the URL, but a Google search for "New England Grows!" would bring it up.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz