Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
howlly1

Flats or Pots

howlly1
18 years ago

Hi Folks

I Started growing annuals as a release for work related stress, but it has gotten to the point of having so many I've been giving them away. Also people keep stoping and inquiring about purchasing them. I have gone to HD and lowes and checked thier prices but ( NOT TO BE BOASTFUL ) thier plants don't compare. The question is do I sell the plants in the cell trays or do I transplant them to pots or both. I have been practically giving them away at $1.00 per 6 cells.

Comments (8)

• mylu
    18 years ago

Well that has many answers. First off and I realize this is not what you were asking. You need to make sure if you can legally sell the plants in your state with out a license. They don't cost much but better to have then not.

Now for what you sell in what size container and how much depends on your market. I can't sit here and tell you there what you should sell them for but a good way to look at it is, sell them for what your market can bare.

As for containers. Well we sell waves petunias in 4" containers. It depends on the plant. If it's a common annual we sell them in 1006 packs. Larger annuals we sell in 606 packs. Geraniums, as an example, we sell in 4" pots. But we also sell geraniums, and other mixed annuals, in 12" patio containers. We sell perennials in #1 or #2 and 4.5"sq deep containers. In other words we match the plant to the container.

Hope that helps.

• howlly1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks mylu
    But what prey tell is a 1006 and a 606 ( I think you are refering to the cell packs by the Model N0# ) am I correct.

Again thanks for the Info.

Howlly1

• mylu
    18 years ago

Not model numder but configuration.
    1006 = qty 10, 6 cell packs per tray
    606 = qty 6, 6 cell packs per tray.
    that's hard to say on a Saturday..

• hemboy
    18 years ago

Advice above is good, but if you're only relieving stress, just keep doing what your doing. If you want to make few $, price plants accordingly. If you must throw some away, don't sweat it. Otherwise, you'll soon get hooked and start investing in equip, inventory, etc. and creating a new stress.

• howlly1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Too late I'm already hooked. Have already purchased PVC greenhouse 12x12 with enough spare parts to extend to 12x50 and various pots and flats and seeds. And am considering doing this as a test to see if I like it better than what I'm currently doing. If this is a mistake I will soon find out. But after reading the comments on this site and others for the last 5 months and taking the advice that has been given to others I hope to make a go of it. By the way I already have Tony Avent's book along with 4 or 5 others, have already been to every nursery/greenhouse I could find in my area, and taken many notes. I have, as stated in the beginning of this string only planted annuals to this point. But I am thinking about growing Shrubs, trees, and various other plants.
    I live in the south Georgia area and have access to 2 wells and as much land as I can use. I don't have a problem with hard work as a matter of fact it's all I know, but usually for others. It will be a pleasant change to do it for myself.Therefore if anyone has any useful info please do not hesitate. Mylu and Hemboy thanks for the info you've already provided.

• mylu
    18 years ago

Hey Hemboy What part on N. Mo you live in? Email me if your comfortable with the forum.

• hemboy
    18 years ago

mylu, sorry, been away for awhile. Live no cent Mo on Hwy 36.

Howlly, you have big head start. Climate, water, acreage, and a starter gh. You also have U of Ga, with 2 of the best horticulturists in the country, Dirr and Armitrage. For perennials and shrubs they are cutting edge.

I deal with 3 fair sized local gh's. They all have good retail business, but say wholesale keeps them going.

If I was starting over, I would contact every landscaper in 50 mi radius, and try to fill some needs. Use my acreage for some standby perennials, shrubs, and grasses.
    (Locally, natives are getting more popular.) Per's are a year round, where here in my area annuals are big rush through mother's day, and by mem day, done.

We are strictly mom and pop, and don't hire any help. Started much same as you, with annuals and small gh. Both early 60's, and this will be last yr for annuals and try to conc on perennials, emphasizing daylilies. Trying to call it semi-retirement.

Just some thoughts.

• deeproots
    18 years ago

Howlly,
    I own a nursery in southern Georgia.
    Willacoochee, on hwy 82 between waycross and tifton.

feel free to drop me a line, or set up a time to talk, I'd be more than happy to give you some of the ins and outs of the local nursery trade.

drew