Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fleetingbeauty

Seeking advice for career changer

Fleetingbeauty
19 years ago

Hello-

This is my story- I am presently working as a substitute in the local school district but I really have the desire to work with plants. I've been a home gardener for years- I love the whole process and to satify my creative side - I like to put together floral arrangements from my garden. I've dedcided to look for a position at a local florist/nursery- but do not have "professional training". I have taken one design class at the local BOCES but have heard that what I would learn on the job is more valuable than what I would learn in the classroom. How can I get my foot in the door?

Comments (20)

• superphosphate
    19 years ago

If you like working in retail, the garden dept in the Home Depot chain is where you can advance. The pay can be very good, and with benefits. For garden dept managers there are bonuses for exceeding sales targets. The garden department at Home Depot is a big money maker, and talent is recognized by management.
    The usual thing at the Home Depot is nobody knows the plants.
    So there isn't much competition.
    And their garden department is getting better and better.

• watergal
    19 years ago

In the spring, most nurseries are desperate for all the part-time help they can get. Go apply NOW - they will probably hire just about anyone who breathes and is vaguely responsible. Once you're hired, work hard and be enthusiastic. You will find all kinds of doors opening up to you and you will begin to build experience and a network of people in the industry that you can leverage into your perfect job.

It worked for me. I did two years part-time at the local garden center and am now working full-time for a terrific interior landscaping firm. I love what I do!

• viola8
    19 years ago

I agree with watergal--now is the time to get hired for the busy season. We hire from now on (retail garden center that does some growing) and start laying off employees in June. New employees are cashiers and carry-out for the most part. Unless they have considerable plant knowledge and then they may just be put in a customer service position. If you're dependable, and make an attempt to learn the job, you would be welcomed back the following year.

Be forewarned--it's not easy work. It's quite physical. When it's busy, you run like heck, with a smile on your face! It's a tremendous opportunity to learn. I've seen a handful of garden centers with their own in-house florist shop.

If you really love plants and gardening, the big box stores may not be for you. It's retail, plain and simple--but not customer service oriented. And the managers are doing their dept. rotation and know nothing about plants usually. I'll bet you'll learn much more in a good garden center.

Good luck. I made the change several years ago and really love what I'm doing. Been there 8 years and work about 3/4 time now.

• Fleetingbeauty
    Original Author
    19 years ago

thank you for the advice- Do you think it would be best to just stop in and ask w/resume in hand or should I mail some out and call for follow-up?

• The_Mohave__Kid
    19 years ago

Eeeegats ... stay in education .. I don't think you really know what you are getting into ... sorry if this sounds crude .. but this business is a rat race ... home gardening does not even come close to what professional gardening is all about ...

Get a full time tenured teaching job and plan for retirement ... Subbing I'm sure is a nightmare but gardening can be worse.

Rant over ... you have been warned. LOL .. but I'm serious.

Good Day ...

• viola8
    19 years ago

And I was trying to be positive, Mojave Kid, because it's so difficult to get really great, temporary help!

Fleetingbeauty, what part, exactly, do you enjoy with gardening? Maybe we could give you a more accurate picture of how a job in this field will match up with what you like doing.

• The_Mohave__Kid
    19 years ago

"Fleeting beauty" ... I do wish you the best in whatever career you undertake ... but since so many knowledgeable folk are here to give helpful positive advice I feel obligated to be a cynic .... ooops ... "who amongst us are free of fault ??" ... not me.

"Do you think it would be best to just stop in and ask w/resume in hand or should I mail some out and call for follow-up?"

Honestly ... half the people in this field I don't think know what a resume is ?? I'm sure the local retail shop has a standard form to fill out ... and more and more of the other 50 % by the way have two to four years of college education ... in various fields from horticulture .. architecture .. project management .. business management .. ect. ... this field requires as much education as teaching ...

How well would you expect to do in a teaching career with a high school diploma ?? It's the same in this field ... believe it or not ...

I make the assumption your formal education is not in the green industry ... perhaps a bad assumption ... I don't know ??

Ok ... a positive NOTE : maybe something in education / horticulture ?? ... books ?? .. educational videos ?? .. How to articles ?? ... I'm done for good now.

Hello viola ...

"because it's so difficult to get really great, temporary help! "

Yes ... because anyone decent needs a good full time job and at least 50 to 75 thousand a year ... and health insurance and a reliable retirement plan ... all of which are harder to find in the green industry.

Good Day ...

• Fleetingbeauty
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Re: "Viola8"
    My long term goal is to actually have a floral shop of my own -with the possibility of going partners with my sister who is a pastry chef who specializes in wedding cakes.

Re:"The Mohave Kid"
    I realize that you are making sure that I think this through before making any permanent decisions- which believe me I have- though having the securities that you mentioned are important- I would actually like to do what makes "me" happy for a change-

• The_Mohave__Kid
    19 years ago

"I would actually like to do what makes "me" happy for a change- "

Yep ... in the end thats really what it's all about ...

"BOCES"

Thats funny ... I almost attended BOCES in New York ... 24 years ago ( eek ) ... Lynbrook is where I lived !!

If floral is what you want then get into a floral shop ... obvious I know .. I would stay clear of nurseries and Home depots .. garden centers ect .. it's not really the same trade. Out here many community colleges off classes on floral at night ??

Thanks for not taking my rantings to serious ... only meant to jar the mind.

Good Luck ...

Good Day ....

• watergal
    19 years ago

If you decide to pursue the garden center route, show up in person, tell them you're interested in a job and ask to see the manager. You might get lucky and get an interview on the spot, or they might give you an application to fill out. You can bring a resume if you want but I doubt they'll bother with it for an entry-level position.

• deeproots
    19 years ago

most large nurseries here only hire via the unemployment office.

• Greenfella
    19 years ago

I was working in an office 8 years ago hating my job,when I decided to change careers. I decided to take a job anywhere I could get one. I started out cutting grass for a lawn service company (a pay cut),got some experience behind my belt. Then I got hired at a landscape company as a novice gardener. I worked real hard there for a few years studying and learning, and now work as a gardener at the US Capitol. It is still not my dream job,but a stepping stone to get there. If you really have the desire,the willingness to learn, and can work hard at getting where you want to be ,you will in my opinion be much happier you made the change in the future. I'm much happier and healthier for changing careers. My advice would to be honest about your skill level, ask lots of questions,read anything about gardening you can, and set a goal as to what you want to do. If there is a passion the money will find you. Good Luck

• Fleetingbeauty
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Update: Thanks to all the support I am recieving I went and stopped in a couple of local shops and inquired about openings. Unfortunately, one had no openings and the other took my information but made it clear that she usually only hires those with experience-then asked me if I know the area (i'm sure she was thinking delivery person)- I still have a few more stops to make. In the meantime- I was thinking of maybe making up a few arrangements (which maybe I could display at work) and making up a portfolio. Should I do a mix of of silk and fresh arrangements? I'm Also considering taking the NYBG 5week extensive in the summer

• GreenieBeanie
    19 years ago

How about getting your feet wet with a volunteer gig at a local public garden?

You'll begin to make connections, and you'll also have the benefit of working in an environment which is more plant-centric than sales-centric. This way, you can see if the pace of the physical work suits you, and you'll learn a lot along the way.

If you prove to be a good worker, the opportunities will begin to open up...

• miss_rumphius_rules
    19 years ago

Definately take the courses at NYBG. You will not only start to form a network of contacts, training at an established, well respected intstitution will give you a segue from amatuer to professional.

On a side note, a very successful flower shop owner I know at the NJ shore, started out selling silk arrangements, wreathes and sprays at a flea market. She specifically targeted her designs to the summer crowd and then gradually added cut flowers to the mix. She had the same space every week (next to the fresh bread) and there was a line every morning at 8:00. Her cut flowers eventually completely out sold the silk. After two summers she made enough money to open up her own shop. You could continue your teaching career and follow this path...

• purple
    19 years ago

I wanted to ask what all of you think about the experienced
    seasoned gardeners working under the table.Where I live after you say your price,clients say ,"what will it cost if its cash"?I'm not talking about a couple of hours,I'm talking weeks and a one man show (still, doing a great job though).
    I know its not a living for them but when it all adds up it's big money going out of the professionals pockets.The comments about nurseries wanting experienced help is out the window here too.They only hire the kids(pay is cheap 6.85hr)and if its training for summer employment the Goverment pays 60% of wage.So for anyone (mature dependable experienced gardeners)who needs extra income in the house hold what else can they do ,other than work under the table for cash.Just wanted to say my thoughts.
    Thanks Purple

• Fleetingbeauty
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Funny thing happened to me- I stopped in one of the local craft stores and asked the salesperson stocking floral designing counter- about openings,etc.- winds up that she is actually one of the floral design teachers at NYBG-Her advice...take FD1 at the minimum if not the whole certificate program cause even if I do get into one of the local shops they'll probably have me doing all the dirty work and phones-and on that note we made formal introductions and hoped to see each other in the future. I felt like I should have had all these questions to ask but couldn't think of a single one- well- just wanted to share that-

• PRO
    Kaveh Maguire Garden Design
    19 years ago

Fleeting Beauty take the intensive and get the certificate as well. Also maybe take the annuals and perennials ID classes which will give you more knowledge on some of the flowers you will be using (can't hurt).

I am a graduate of the School of Professional Horticulture at NYBG and I will say two things about the classes there.

1. You get out of it what you put into it. Work your butt off and ask lots of questions. I love the education programs there and have learned so much.
    2. You have LOTS of opportunities to make professional contacts. If you are outgoing, enthusiastic, and intelligent it can be a wonderful chance to impress someone that might make you a job offer or at least point you in the right direction. You will also learn a lot from your fellow classmates.

I have never done one of the intensive programs (there are 3 I believe...landscape design, floral, and hort therapy) but you will all be with each other for long hours over a 4 or 5 week period. It could be a great way to make some new friends in the field too.

Best of luck.

• Fleetingbeauty
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I just received the NYBG spring catalog-and don't you know they are offering FD1 just about 5 miles from me at an extension site while the kiddies are still in school ( I won't need a sitter) -Could it be FATE stepping in? Hopefully I'll be able to work something out for the summer intensive-but this is a start.
    Thanks a bunch for all the encouragement everyone.

• califajoy
    18 years ago

I was estimator, and I was tired of it, gradually I made my career, now I am landscape designer, but now I have to face the low quality home owners constantly, one job finished, I must find another, referrals don't always come.
    Now I found the hard part as designer, I have no idea what should I do next?

Sponsored
Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living in Columbus, OH