Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandi_2006

Looking for bacopia seeds

brandi-2006
18 years ago

Last year I found a plant called bacopia and fell in love with it. I wanted to plant it from seed this year but I can't find any information on it. It's like it doesn't exist. Does anyone know anything about this plant?

Comments (7)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    18 years ago

It is commonly referred to as "bacopa" (note spelling), which is a different plant altogether, although related. The plant in question is Sutera cordata or Sutera hybrids - I've never seen seeds available, as most of the plants on the market are trademarked cultivars, and propagation is usually done from plugs or cuttings.

• annebert
    18 years ago

My sister was also interested, and I did some sleuthing for her, including in any professional/wholesale catlaogs I could access. I just read that "the desirable cultivars don't come true from seed". As far as I know, no seed is available.

• gw:brandi-2006
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to go get another plant and keep it this year. Last year I was told that it would come back in the spring so I left it in it's pot outside. I've noticed that it didn't look too happy with me for it though. It's a shame too. It was huge and absolutely beautiful.

• nandina
    18 years ago

Bacopa is perennial here blooming twelve months of the year. If it sets seed I have never been able to find them on my plants. Fabulous container plant which cascades over pot edges. Those selling bedding plants should add this one to their inventory if they are not presently offering it. Flower colors are either white or pink.

• gw:judy-hebe
    17 years ago

I've faithfully searched my bacopa (Sutera cordata) plants looking for seed pods but have never found any. The pods are supposed to be noticeable so if they've developed, they've hidden themselves well. But in empty pots of dirt that have sometimes been underneath my hanging baskets (during the winter), seeds must've fallen. Each spring, I've generally been able to find from 5-10 small plants that started growing.

I've since given up looking for seeds & simply place pots of soil under the baskets to catch what falls. Maybe the plants are hybrids & new plants don't come true to seed but I've been happy with the plants that grew each spring.

I've found the same with trailing lobelia seeding itself. When I've bought trailing lobelia plants in the spring, I've rarely been happy with them. Because the seeds are SO tiny, generally there are many plants together in one small cell. Crowded like that, they grow spindly. But when the individual seeds have fallen from my baskets, the plants are spread out & each plant has such vigour compared to those bought in garden centers. I really suggest others try these method as I discovered it by accident but am quite happy with results!

• dreamrosered
    13 years ago

Seeds are available they take a little while to really get going but the plants grow pretty fast after they are about 2 inches tall. Cuttings are easy and as far as I have seen they need a TON of water and light. So far no success keeping them overwinter indorrs but I love this plant and I will keep trying. I am pretty sure the seeds come from inside the sleeve left after a flower drops. It is encased but can be popped out. They are little yellow balls. You sow them on top of the soil, they seem to turn to dust and then they start tiny seedlings.

• calliope
    13 years ago

Several years ago, bacopa became available from seed and it has very good germination. I grew it to sell by the flat, instead of the vegetatively propagated varieties by the pot. Blutopia is one available seed variety. Although it seemed to do fine in potted work, I would not recommend it for landscaping or gardens.

Sponsored