Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dickthehick

Mike McGroarty's Backyard System ... ? ??

DicktheHick
19 years ago

Everyone ... Hi!

Several different threads on this forum have had inquiries about Mike's information ...

I bought the whole package. Found it excellent, for me and some friends that didn't have a lot of knowledge or experience.

His website has a great deal of FREE information.

The local library is a good source too!

Other forums on GardenWeb ... do stay on this one ... good stuff here ... thanks everyone ...

like ...

Plant Propagation

Growing from Seed

Winter Sowing and ... and ... are great too!

Two thoughts ...

1. His system, I think is for a person that enjoys gardening and/or landscapeing, has a full-time job or is retired and wants something positive to do and enjoy, and possibly make a little extra income or plan for the future.

2. Questions about his material are probably dismissed by most of the contributors here because most (I assume) are involved in the industry as a primary occupation, which is a whole other game.

My background ...

Owned a retail floral shop for 23 years. If someone were to ask me if they should consider a start-up today I would have hundreds of valid reasons why they should not.

Mike ...

I have met him and visited his backyard garden operation. He is for real. Works a full-time job. Did landscapeing for extra income when younger. Made his initial video about growing your own plants from cuttings for HOME-OWNERS.

That evolved to a website. (I think he bought a how-to package on creating a site which was geared to sales on the internet in the early '90's). He created his own website, by himself, then he wrote a book and started making videos about how to start your own PART-TIME small business, in response to questions emailed to him from the homeowners that wanted more info -- about the business side.

Folks, he is just a person like all of us ... however, in addition to his wife's honey-do's, holding a full-time job, raising two great boys, caring for elderly parents and making a little extra on the side selling plants (legally), he also, now spends a great deal of time and energy helping those of us on his private forum who DID buy his material, READ it, WATCHED it, and are now applying it. The people on that forum are just like you folks here. Sharing and caring.

My results ...

Have made friends with two younger couples that each have started their own backyard nursery because of my prompting that they could turn a gardening hobby/interest into a small busines that might insure a better future for themselves. I, (an old geezer that pittles around with vegetables, grasses and evergreens) help out with research and books, business suggestions, ect., for them. One couple is going with springtime blooming flowers from seed mostly, to sell retail at yard sales. The other couple has made several contacts with established local retail nurseries to sell wholesale to. We bounce ideas off of each other.

Will they someday have large operations? I don't know, but we are not spending a lot for start-up, learning as we go and we are all having fun!

For what it is worth ...

Best to you in all you do!

Comments (3)

Sponsored