Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonsai_audge

Orphaned Spaces

bonsai_audge
17 years ago

Design Project Two is already well on its way!

I've mentioned it before in the BLA - The Exciting Sequel!, but decided that it has become a little too long and cumbersome to continue off of.

I've picked site #1, which lies between a bank and a church, just off of St. George's Square (which is the centre of Downtown Guelph). It leads to the future site of a combined parking/commercial building. As such, the site will become an important pedestrian conduit between the centre of downtown to the new businesses.

To start, I began with pictures of historic Guelph. There are still many amazing buildings built out of the local limestime, so that prompted me to investigate how it looked like in the past. I found my answer here, on the Guelph Public Library Archives website. As you can see, the current state is rather dismal and, if you click on the 1950's link on the menu, you can see the beautiful buildings that once were.

My investigation led me to the Blacksmith Fountain, which once stood in the centre of the square. Since I had never heard of it, despite its once-prominent position, I tried to find more info about it and why I (and practically everyone else I asked about it) had never seen it before. I found that it still exists, but was relocated in the 1950's to a tiny park that people also haven't heard of. A more appropriate "resting place" (call it what you will) for the fountain was in order, and given the proximity to its previous location, I reasoned that my orphaned space would be perfect. Already, a lot of people use the space to cut through, so the fountain would get a lot more exposure than it currently does.

I had a goal in mind - but how to realize this goal? I didn't want to simply plop the fountain down in an incongruous context, so my overall design theme became to provide a proper context for the fountain, at the same time recalling a bit of Guelph's history and "roots" as the "Royal City." I chose a flourishing acanthus leaf detail on the pedestal of the fountain to become my inspiration (within the inspiration of the fountain), thinking that it would be a good "base" for my design.

However, as discussed in the "Accessorizing" thread, I became too caught up in the literal translation of the acanthus design (which is also found in wrought-iron on a fence near the neighbouring church) that the spaces created were simply too awkward to use in many respects.

I had a prominent focal point in mind - the fountain. From that, the look and feel of the space was determined. So, instead of tackling it from plan view, I tried a conceptual perspective drawing. Here's what I came up with:

It's difficult to describe how I arrived at the drawing shown, simply because my thinking was anything but linear. The placement of the fountain is relatively simple - I wanted attention to be drawn towards the church and away from the bank. The use of a bridge came from two desires: one to introduce drastice changes in grade (even if in small areas), and the other to strengthen the iconography (not in the religious sense of the term) of the space within the overall space: "I'll meet you at the bridge by the fountain." As well, the barriers formed by the walls of the bridge draw people to peer over the edge - it seems like an undeniable urge to look past the railing (balustrade in this case) to see what's going on underneath. The same urge is satisfied (to a certain degree) by the wide steps leading down into the mini-ravine. They will certainly not go all the way, but will provide some sense of descending into perhaps a more mysterious space to be explored.

The ravine itself will become a marsh-type area. At the suggestion of the TA, I'm looking into making it a miniature groundwater recharge area - perhaps with the proper infrastructure to allow water draining off of surrounding roofs to percolate/filter into the local groundwater. In any case, it will be a wilder, more naturalistic area to counter the rather restrained feeling of the rest of the space.

-Audric

Comments (16)

• inkognito
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Not bad for a beginner, Audric. On the other hand I am reminded of John Ruskin when I look at that sketch."I'll meet you at the bridge by the fountain"is so evocative in that sketch that it makes me want to be there. Well done and thank you for keeping us up to date.

• nandina
    17 years ago

Audric,
    I am impressed! My only thought pertains to the groundwater collection area. Love the idea but wonder if it might become one of those spots prone to collecting normal city debris which blows around, creating a maintenance headache?

• miss_rumphius_rules
    17 years ago

Why does the seating face away from the fountain?

• bonsai_audge
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello all! Another semi-productive day brings forth some new advancements, but I'll talk about those later.

Nandina - that is one of my concerns, especially for plastic bags which tend to get blown around everywhere. It's something that I'll have to work out, but I may plan[t] buffers around the area to catch most of the debris before it can get it.

Susan, it's interesting you pointed that out as the TA (in during our desk crits) mentioned the same thing. I said that it was a bus waiting area (as the main "hub" for the city buses is St. Georges Square, and a few bus stops are right in front of this space). However, she encouraged me to try to incorporate the seating more into the space so that people both wait for the bus and see what's going on inside (especially by the bridge/fountain area). The seating in my revised plan is pushed further to the edge of the space, running roughly perpendicular to the street. That way, with only the sightest turn of their head, people can easily survey the street (for the bus) or see what's happening on the bridge or further inside. I'm not sure if this is the best solution, but it's a step towards it in any case.

I have some more sketches (mainly sectional elevations) which are more "true" to the current plan - it's difficult to pick things out from the rought sketch.

-Audric

• inkognito
    17 years ago

What I picked up from the rough sketch is a much needed return to Romanticism (read who cares if we miss the bus). There are engineers to do the practical stuff audge what the world needs is invention.

• bonsai_audge
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hmmm... interesting thoughts there, Tony. I suppose invention doesn't arise from the design within itself, but I do see something that's a little more challenging in its urban context. The problem (thus the challenge, and the invention) in this case arises from the context of the city of Guelph which aligns itself with the English monarchy. It seems that the slogan/nickname "The Royal City" pertains less and less to the city itself other than the crown motif found on downtown lampposts.

- Audric

• bonsai_audge
    Original Author
    17 years ago

An update:

The plan has changed multiple times, not so much radically, but through the adjustment of the existing features.

The bridge has gone from a rectangular bridge to a curved bridge, and back to a rectangular bridge, and then shifted a metre away from the fountain to offer seating areas.

The fountain has never stayed in the same exact location

The beds were all in flux, but have settled down now.

The stairs (near the far end of the space, shown in the pic) have evolved ever so subtley as to reflect the intended focus when ascending/descending the stairs.

Trelliswork which will cover the majority of the bank's first-level wall (but rather than masking it completely, it will add some change in depth to the existing flat surface by adding recessed alcoves which correspond to the existing windows).

A pergola has been introduced to highlight the prime seating area, to provide a complementary feature to the fountain, and to "extend" the trelliswork further into the space.

A massive list of plant candidates is being compiled - mostly evergreens/broadleaf evergreens to provide some continuity throughout the seasons and for "permanent" structure, which some ornamental shrubs and trees, vines, and herbaceous perrenials to provide change. The colour palette has evolved a little bit, but the overall tendencies have become clear.

- Audric

• mjsee
    17 years ago

Audric--

I can't tell you how much joy it gives me to watch you mature (via these forums.) I don't even know you--but I'm proud of you. Keep up the good work. And, when you've graduated, come south and I'll hire you to help me put together my back yard.

melanie

• bonsai_audge
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Melanie, thank you for the kind words. I just hope that I keep on moving in the right direction, so I'll definitely try to keep updates on this forum as long as I can in the coming future.

As for an update on the space: the project is due THIS FRIDAY. Yikes. My Reading Week (i.e. Spring Break) has been rather relaxing, as I chose to stay in residence instead of going back home. The quiet was nice - I was able to get a goodly amount of sleep. I also went to Toronto for two days (it's just a short trip, about 1 1/2 hours bus ride) to meet up with some friends and to see The Phantom of the Opera, of which I'm an avid fan. However, planning the trip (which I did myself, and with the help here and there of a friend) was an ordeal so I'm not sure if any of such similar trips will happen in the future.

5 more days. What has been done? A rough site inventory has been recorded (on a plan) from early on, a rough program has been hashed out. I'm working on a comprehensive text inventory/analysis to accompany the graphic inventory and analysis. The final [graphic] inventory and analysis still have yet to be done, but should not take to long. But isn't this what is said about most things?

The final plan (sorry, no pics yet) has been almost finished. I have to visit the site to make a few measurements of a few existing elements to make sure that things are precise before finishing them off. Labels need to be added. I'm not sure if I'll have time to colour the plan as extensively as I hoped. I may have to sacrifice that for the quality of the other supporting elements in the presentation.

The planting plan has been finished, with the exceptions of the ommitted elements mentioned above. I plan to go on a warmer day (such as tomorrow) to do the measurements. That has to be labelled, but since it's rather complex, an accompanying legend has to be created as well.

As for the final presentation - during my trip to TO, I managed to head to the City Hall to take a peak at the design competition for Nathan Phillips Square (the space in front of Toronto City Hall). The 4 finalists' entries, along with a model, were on display. I got some ideas for the presentation of my own project, so today I worked out the layout of the three 24" x 36" sheets for my project. In addition, borders, title blocks, supporting text and quotes (including a John Ruskin one, Tony), and the sizing for the various elements were made. The preparation of the presentation of this project is much more intense than on previous projects, but I thought there was no better time to experiment with a more comprehensive presentation. (It would be much easier if I could print from the plotter, but alas, that is not the case. So I'll be printing things out in segments on 8 1/2" x 11" pieces of paper, splicing them together, then pasting them onto the large 24 x 36 sheets and then running them through the plotter).

I have to make a perspective drawing. I've already allotted the space, know the dimensions, know the view that I want to show, so all I have to do is take a pic from that vantage point to use as a reference, and then draw it out. It should not be too difficult.

Other supporting images - I have pictures of various elements to be included into the space, such as a historic fountain which was relocated a park that hardly anyone frequents, the ornamentation which inspired the space, and the bridge which is such an iconic aspect. The bridge is rendered on the computer, so I just have to print it out at the right size, but the others I will trace to produce line images (which are more plotter-friendly). Actually, just thinking about it, I had sketched out the ornamentation - an acanthus leaf motif - already, so I simply have to reduce it to the right size on the photocopier. I may also include my conceptual sketches of the space, most noteably an elevation of a pergola structure.

For a little more, here's an excerpt from my Vision and Inspiration section: The Genius Loci

The term, established in landscape architecture by Alexander Pope in the midst of the Picturesque Movement, embodies the driving force behind this design. Rather than trying to push the downtown core, to which this space is adjacent, into an entirely new direction, the existing spirit of the place will be enhanced.

The distinctly classical, almost European feel to the space heralds back to Guelphs connections with the British Royal Family, with the Guelphs of Germany and Italy. It is employed to add legitimacy to this association, so that the "Royal City" can, indeed, feel a little more royal.

It is impossible to restore Saint GeorgeÂs Square to its former glory at the turn of the 19th century. However, it is possible to evoke that same feeling of graciousness, of a nostalgic idyll evocative of the past. An acanthus leaf motif, from the Blacksmith Fountain, was used as inspiration in the creation of this design.

The inclusion of the Blacksmith Fountain in this design not only cements the placeÂs connection with the past, but it is a celebration of history. History is not a pile of dusty books locked in an archive. History is dynamicÂit must included in peopleÂs daily lives. The increased exposure to the Blacksmith Fountain, in its proposed location, will hopefully cause people to stop and think about the city and its past, rather than just accepting it at face value.

It should not be presumed that inspiration from the past is simply timidly sticking with convention. There is tremendous powerÂpower to move, to touch, to connect the userÂwhich lies latent within the past. Locked, perhaps, but the key is not distant and removed. It is simply waiting to be found.

-Audric

• bonsai_audge
    Original Author
    17 years ago

So it's done. : D

The project came together quite smoothly at then end, which I attribute to the pre-planning of the layout. The formatted pages worked like a very good "To-Do" list, having the ability to see the pages slowly come together and to see what still needed to be done in a visual way.

Without further ado, here are the 3 (24" x 36") pages.

I'm generally happy with the end result of the project. However, there are a variety of issues with this project which I'll try to keep in mind for the next project. As the final plan was being coloured, I realized how small things actually were. I find that I still have difficulties translating measurements into space (in my mind). While dealing with individual elements, such as the bridge, pergola, fountain, planting beds, etc, I can visuallize how large they are, if they would be of sufficient size for their purpose, etc. It's just the grouping of all the elements into the whole which is still difficult.

The next project is unknown, but since it's worth 35%, it will probably be of similar caliber/complexity as this one (worth 30%).

-Audric

• miss_rumphius_rules
    17 years ago

Beautiful Audric. Your ability to render a space is going to serve you well in the long run. I particularly like the through the seasons color chart.

Remember that public spaces generally lack 'gardeners' and funds which is why most herbaceous plants are kept to a miniumum. Are there other ways you can get the same effect and dumb down the upkeep?

What a future you're going to have!

• nandina
    17 years ago

Audric,
    Your ability to translate vision into words is unique. Conceptualizing space...that's what this business is all about. It is a lifetime of learning and doing. The 'thrill of the chase' so to speak. Hopefully you will report back your instructor's critique.

• inkognito
    17 years ago

Hey Audric: I only came here to bust your balls, but hey what else is there to do on a Saturday evening? That is a beautiful presentation but remember the acanthus? I think that if this is your motif and what it means throughout history it should be there throughout not relegated to page two over there. I also question the Ruskin quote, have you ever seen an acanthus?

• bonsai_audge
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello all! Not only was the project due today, but we got the next one as well. (More on that later!)

Thank you for the compliments, everyone. There's a lot of good stuff (and not-so-good stuff, too) that's not shown very well in these pics.

I'll say this now: I'm not very happy with my planting plan. Since it is really my first serious plan, and I don't actually know a lot of plants, I didn't choose the best plants possible for the site. I also (with further researching and editing) could have simplified the design and the number/variety of plants while still maintaining the look I wanted. However, with that in mind for my next design, I really want to concentrate on getting better plants (better as in more suited - even if it means having fewer). I think I may have bit off waaaaay more than I could chew with this one. But as you say, Nandina, it's all about the learning process. (Which is why I question why some people trac 3-D computer renderings when the assignment is about learning how to create perspective drawings by hand... but that's just me).

I hope that we get the projects back with comments - generally, they're pressed to have them marked so the comments are the first to go. But I'll post them, if there are any.

Tony, I appreciate any criticism that you can offer. You've never failed at getting me to think, and since I'm paying thousands of dollars for just that at University, a little freebie once in a while is appreciated : P. If I'm interpreting your query correctly, the acanthus, being the "basis" of the design, isn't being given enough prominence in the presentation, either through the placement of the explicit picture titled "The Inspiration" or through repeated use throughout the presentation.

Not trying to say that you are wrong, or that I disagree, but this was my thinking regarding the leaf: The acanthus leaf was the inspiration for the space, not as much the basis for the design. Originally, it was the literal basis for the design, but that did not lead to any functional space. Since it simply acted as something which got the ball rolling the vaguely the right direction, and not as a distinct motif actually found inside the space (with the exception of on the Blacksmith Fountain), I didn't think it as important as, say, the Vision Statement, which explicitly states the function of the acanthus leaf motif [as inspiration].

As for having an acanthus leaf motif throughout the presentation (as ornamentation, like tasteful clip-art), I originally wanted to. However, I'm not as skilled as I want to be in creating these designs and was afraid that I would spend far too much time working on them and not on the actual plan itself. As a compromise, I created the flourishes that you see along certain borders and in some corners. They have a similar effect as the acanthus leaf, albeit not a direct representation.

And I've never seen an acanthus in person, but I have online in pictures. I originally searched them up when I first learnt the name of the motif, I looked up the original plant to see where it came from. They're not extravagantly coloured, if that's what you're getting at. Again, the acanthus was the starting point but definitely not the goal.

I'd like to hear your response to my response, Tony. I'm not quite sure if I'm moving in the right direction or if I just took a major step backward.

-Audric

• inkognito
    17 years ago

Hi Audric: I read back through the notes you provided here and I can see that you went the acanthus route earlier and rejected it which I see now as a wise choice. Perhaps influenced by Edwin Lutyens advice to work on one central idea I thought that you were straying off course but it now appears that it is me that has gone astray. However if it helped you to crystallize your thinking process my post was not a complete waste, says he clutching at straws.

• mjsee
    17 years ago

Nice work Audric. Any way you can post larger pics to your image hosting site...so that we can see them in "too big for forum" sizes?

Remember, if you want to branch out into southern design...I have a spare room and a woody backyard in need of help...
    : P

melanie