Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are plugs and liners?

Posted by moo_ EastTX (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 16, 08 at 16:39

I'm a newbie, can ya tell???

I've heard these words at the nurseries and on this forum and I don't really know what they are describing.

Help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are plugs and liners?

Nursery ordering them to pot up and sale...here are some examples here that may help you understand them better.

Here is a link that might be useful: plugs

o
RE: What are plugs and liners?

Simply put, in the business, plugs are generally those plants in very small sizes one usually grows by seed. Only you don't have to sow or plant the seeds. They are already sown into trays and grown on enough that the roots fill the little cells. There will be anywhere up to five hundred little square cells of these plants to a tray or as few as 125. The larger the plug, the less time it takes to grow them on to size. Examples of material you might find in plug form are seed grown strains of petunia, marigolds, tomato plants......many annuals not patented.

Liner stock is how one often describes those plants grown from vegetative cuttings and rooted up in little cells. That encompasses the majority of patented annuals and perennials or even some nursery stock, including woody. They'll come in seperate cells as well, and are often larger than plug material and definately more expensive.

I use mostly liner stock for things like hanging baskets and fancy combination planters. I also order them in the earliest of my plant material. The plugs come in next and often just 6 weeks before I expect to have them ready for sale.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here