Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mich_in_zonal_denial

How much pro bono work do you take on a year?

Here on the Left Coast we have been hit hard with a lot of cutbacks to our social programs.

Because of this there seems to be a greater effort from these social programs & their program directors to reach further and further out into the private sector for funds and contributions.

I try to do one or two pro bono jobs a year but I am starting to find it difficult to choose which social program(s) to work with and then I find it even harder to say No or decline contributing to a social program that I feel strongly for.

The big crux for me at the moment is several clients have asked me to contribute to their fundraising events for their childs school, but I am feeling already overextended with my 'regular' contributions to the charities and programs of my choice.

This puts me in a hard position. .. How to tactfully say that I just don't have either the excess funds or excess time to contribute to their childrens school programs.

It's a toughy -

How do others handle the 'balance ' of pro bono work and maintain good working relationships with your good clients.

Thanks for any insight.

Michelle

Comments (9)

• watergal
    19 years ago

Michelle, I think it's wonderful that someone with your talent will do any pro bono work at all. I wish I had some good advice for you, but I hate to say no too.

It seems like the more you do, the more you are asked to do. When I worked at the local family-owned garden center, I think every charity in town hit up the owners for donations. All worthy causes but they'd have gone broke donating to all of them (oh wait, they DID go broke! But not because of that...)

Anyhow, good luck!

BTW, do you do landscape planning long-distance? Email me when you have time.

• SeniorBalloon
    19 years ago

Is the issue that if they had approached you earlier you would have gladly contributed or that you will always have other higher charitable priorities?

One is a bit stickier than the other. Especially if these are friends/clients or very good clients that you don't want to lose. If it's the former simply explain that you are tapped for this year, but would like to set up something for next year.

I don't know what to tell you about the latter. Perhaps you need to develop a hearing problem and change the subject.:)

jb

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    19 years ago

Michelle, I'm not sure if this is the type of pro bono work you are referring to, but I do donate my design services to two charity auctions each year. I limit my contribution to each to only two hours of design consultation. That's a pretty easy chunk of time for me to accomodate, folks seem to find it of interest and benefit without necessarily a big commitment, and one of the auctions is for a cause I am very passionate about and have been donating to for a number of years now. The second changes and is usually an event a client has asked me to participate in.

Several of these pro bono consulations have developed into complete, paid design projects, so I have recognized a benefit and a much larger return to me than the time I gave away. And there is a certain marketing aspect to consider as well, as it doesn't hurt to get one's name out in front of a large and typically well-heeled audience, crass as that may sound.

I consider it an investment in two good causes - the charity I am helping to support in some small fashion and me!(she says with tongue only very slightly in cheek)

• Ron_B
    19 years ago

Since it's only very slightly in, we can still understand it? Otherwise it might sound like "somel small falshion and mel"?

• miss_rumphius_rules
    19 years ago

I also donate consultations to various local charities. I keep it local so travel time isn't an issue. Like Pam, some have turned into paid work, some haven't. I limit it further...1 hour, and the winner has to take the initiative. I try and schedule them on days when I'm in their area or when I actually have some time...

• Hap_E
    19 years ago

Michelle,

I have felt the same as you the last year or two... so many groups that need help, but only so much of my time and energy for things that only pay the soul... after all we all have to eat.

Since you said it was clients asking, you need to look at it as advertising. So what of your Ad budget can you use? If you don't budget for Ad's, a good standard number to think of it as, is about 3% of your net....

Otherwise will a nice plant in a inexpensive (but nice) pot enough to keep you in good with your clients? (Still give something but not take up your time).

I have grown too many pacypodiums over the last few years for how well they sell for me, so I have been able to donate nice two to three foot-tall, fat cool looking spiny plants in glazed pots. My cost is low, but the schools and organazations are able to get the funds they need at their fundraisers. The last one I donated brought the school over $250....

Good luck,

-Hap

(by the way are you down for Southern CA Plant Day tours? One of these days I want to bump in to you and have a face to put with your handle.. after all Berkeley and Marin are close... But it seems more likely we would meet at one of the hort events... If you are not down herer it is pouring and the mudslides are a mess... on the way to get coffee and online I just past a lovely huge clump of Agave attenuata that had slid in to the road... I hope they get rescued rather than bulldozed.)

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for your replies.

Pam, the scenario that you described above in regards to 'charity '+ fund raising auctions', is exactly one of the types of pro bono work that I am being asked to contribute to more and more these days from a variety of clients across the county.

I do see your point about how it can work out to be beneficial on both fronts, ie; leading to more work and good community business relations.

Guess I was feeling a bit overwhelmed by how many of these auctions that I have been asked to contribute to so far this year ( and it's only Feb ! ) as well as doing some other more indepth work for a couple of other social programs and causes that I feel passionate about that are actually a bit more related to me on a more personal level.

Those last few words , " more related to me on a more personal level, also is part of my conflict that gets added to the mounting pile of requests.
    Many of the requests for 'donated time or money' is for school programs from clients that are in $outhern Marin, which is so not my school district even if I was to have kids.
    And although I feel sad that any school kids despite their soicial economic situation does not have adequate funds for extra curriculum activities I am also conflicted by the mismanagement of school funds in the first place ( not in all school districts but certainly in many of my local districts )

I can tell by writing this , 'that there is more too it', than just donating more time and money than I have available, it also goes much deeper than that and this is something that I am rustling with as well.

Thanks again for the replies and letting me vent, it actually caused me to think a little deeper and come up with some solutions when faced with more requests.

Michelle

• Ron_B
    19 years ago

Maybe by only doing it for a few favorite organizations you can divert many requests from individuals. You could tell them you do charity work for the so-and-so fund, suggest the individual contact that group (if applicable). It's a way to respond with something more than a flat refusal, anyway.

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestion Ron, it is much appreciated.
    Michelle

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone