Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mustangrose

What makes an employee stand out from the crowd?

Mustangrose
19 years ago

I just landed a job at a big "destination" nursery, and, as I am a passionate amateur gardener, I am plenty excited.

During the interview, my love of gardening surfaced, and i was asked to take a "horticulture test", which I did well on. The position i interviewed for was a general cashier position, but via the test, it was determined that as I have some knowledge in plant selection and care, I will be working in the staging/growing area (warm house) and information desk. Of course, I love this!

This is a big nursery that grows for others as well as their own retail outlet. The actual retail location is of the 'complex' type, with gift shop, cafe, wedding and floral. They do have a year round staff, but my position, is, of course, seasonal. They do hire their year round employees from the seasonal pool, and my question is, what would make an employee so valuable and desirable, that they would rise to the top of this pool of potential employees? Thanks for any advice you take time to give, this is a dream come true opportunity for me. Thanks again

Comments (21)

• laag
    19 years ago

Think efficiency. Observe everything, don't opt to do only tasks directly assigned to you. Always look to make sure that the next task is not behind before you get to it. But, don't forego your assignments to be over involved with others outside of your responsibilities. ... no matter what type of job you have (unless its union, then go slow or get beat up).

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    19 years ago

Speaking from my experience as a longtime nursery employee and now manager/buyer, what I look for in new hires is 1) customer service and 2) plant knowledge. Being attentive to customers is my primary requirement - always greeting new arrivals and asking if you can be of help yet not being overbearing or cloying. Answering questions and making suggestions is critical to this, so plant knowledge (and generally a good deal more than "enthusastic amateur gardener" status provides) is essential. If you don't have it, get it and fast. Read books, take plant ID courses, whatever. Also dependability, willingness to do any of the jobs assigned eagerly and with a good attitude and refrain from too much socializing with the other staff - nothing is more frustrating to customers than to see a group of nursery employees chatting together when they could use some help selecting or loading plants.

• luv2gro
    19 years ago

I talked to a local greenhouse today about the possibility of a job doing seeding and transplanting. I'm recovering from knee surgery that did not go well and cannot stand for extended periods. The owner did not seem to think this would be a problem. He seemed willing to give me a chance. I'm in my late forties, educated and am very willing to learn. I've been gardening for many years but I am just learning botanical names and starting from seed. Would you hire me?

• SeniorBalloon
    19 years ago

Deffinitely let them know that your interested in more than seasonal work.

If they don't know you want to be considered they may be too busy to notice no matter how good your work.

jb

• watergal
    19 years ago

All good advice. Also, remember to smile and be friendly. You never know who your customer really is - I had the president of a large nursery chain drop by undercover one day and happened to make a really good impression because I was friendly and helpful.

If you see something that needs water, WATER IT!

And don't take it personally if you can't make it into the year round pool. From what I've seen, most companies don't need many workers in the winter and opt to use just the managers to run the place, if they don't shut down altogether for January and February.

• phdnc
    19 years ago

Gardengal pretty much says it all.
    I would just like to reiterate; Dependability!!!!!!!!
    A willingness to learn and perform new assignments.
    If a customer asks a question you don't have the answer to, don't fake it, find out from a knowledgeable source.
    Did I mention dependability?
    When in the retail area (especially) provide the customers with a sincere positive attitude.
    Going the extra mile for your employer can be taken in small steps, things like if a plant is tipped over pick it up. Noticing plants wilting or strange critters on plants in the greenhouse letting the right person know before it gets out of hand, etc.
    Then there is the depedability issue. (lol)
    P

• phdnc
    19 years ago

Geeze Mustangrose I must of taken my grump pills today.

Cogratulations on your dream job come true!!! Keep the enthusiasm that is in your post. The mere fact that you are willing to ask questions on how to do a better job before you even start shows you have what it takes. The best and keep us all posted here now that you moving into professional status!!!
    YEAH!
    lol
    P

• laag
    19 years ago

What makes an employee stand out in the crowd?

It would depend on the crowd. As the "Magic of Oil Painting" guy used to say "you have to have dark in order to have light". I think his name was William Alexander. It is one of my favorite quotes because it applies to so many things including a painting.

• calisto
    19 years ago

The person who is taking my money is taking care of me, making eye contact with me, smiling at me, asking me questions about my gardening needs - not ignoring my presence as they reach for my check [their salary] while trading bad date stories with a co-worker.

• Cady
    19 years ago

Laag,
    There is an old Chinese saying-- Chir ku -- You have to eat bitter in order to taste sweetness. Same basic meaning as darkness and light. It's the Tao thang.

Perry, I always pick up plants that have fallen over at the garden center, and water the dry plants whenever I see 'em... and I don't work there. lol

• GreenieBeanie
    19 years ago

I second, third and fouth the "dependability" posts.

I am blessed with a wonderful team now, after going through some rough patches with a few employees who just couldn't get it together. Now that the chafe has been winnowed out, we're cooking with gas.

As a manager, I know pretty early on who is going to live up to their potential, and who is just putting in time. The signs I look for, besides dependability, is willingness to try new things, an observant nature, and an ability to adapt to the current system and culture while adding to the existing efficiencies. I get a red flag when I have an employee who wants to change or "improve" on everything after the first week. Much better to learn why the existing systems are in place, learn about the big picture, prove your ability to perform, and then make yourself indispensable while you add efficiencies.

Never walk past a piece of trash of blown-over pot, unless you've been asked by a manager to be on the other side of the nursery, "pronto". Be ready to jump in and make the most of opportunities to expand your area of responsibility.

And then, how do I put this nicely. Don't diddle around. Don't spend three hours detailing one bench or area. Develop your eye and learn how to spot the the most important, most visible or essential task, and tackle it with verve and efficiency. And no job should be "beneath you", no matter how high you rise in the hierarchy. If you are the cream that rises to the top, if your manager is good, you will be tasked appropriately.

Finally, no matter how bad your head aches, or how little sleep you got last night, or how uncomfortable your new boots may be, maintain an even demeanor and find a reason to smile as much as you can.

In describing these qualities, I am thinking of the best of my employees, whom I respect and truly enjoy working with.

Best of luck. You already sound like a "keeper" to me!

• calliope
    19 years ago

I was a head grower for awhile, and what I noticed most in the crew were the self starters. It got pretty old after a few weeksof training when I had to keep reminding people that just because nobody actually told them to pick up a hose, didn't mean they couldn't take it on themselves to touch up the dry ones. The second thing I noticed were people who actually seemed to "look at" what they were doing. They didn't have to be highly trained to notice when a plant didn't look quite right. They just had to have the power of observation. I have seen crews tagging impatiens and keep on moving to petunias and still be tagging them with impatien labels. Even if they were illiterate, somebody should have paid enough attention to see they sort of looked a little bit different? LOLOL.

The third thing I saw was the personality conflict stuff. It's a job, not a contest, and teamwork is important. One person with baggage can make the most enjoyable job in the world one you hate to go to every morning. Sometimes it's a good thing if you smile a lot, and keep your mouth closed if it isn't constructive or kind.

Be enthused! That's easy if you love what you are doing. I think that'll come naturally to you, it shows in your post. But rememer a lot of people you work with are there because it's a job. Most temp crews will not be back next year, especially if it's just a job to them.

When you are not busy (and you will be plenty busy when the season hits, but there are down times like rainy days) if you are not on a break, find things to do. Retail areas get dusty and disheveled quickly. One day during a dry, hot spell every one of the crew were back in the break room guzzling sodas and shooting bull and I was antsy and bored, so I grabbed a bucket and rag and started cleaning the shelves and neatening up the stock. The second in command just happened in from a landscape job unexpectedly. It didn't hurt me one bit to be busy. There are ALWAYS things to do somewhere in a nursery. Always. This goes back to being a self starter.

Know your product. And yes..........repeat often how you would like to be a permanent part of the operation. Take advantage of any learning experiences. If they don't come automatically, do it on your own. It'll pay you back in the end.

• laag
    19 years ago

Excellent post, Calliope.

• Ron_B
    19 years ago

While it is certainly true that some in maintenance/production operations don't do more than they are told because they don't care, others don't break out of the mold because of being in workplaces where the expectations are like these:

>Never walk past a piece of trash of blown-over pot, unless you've been asked by a manager to be on the other side of the nursery, "pronto".I've been around quite a few small dictators in the industry here, who seemingly never want to see anything done that isn't on the list. Those wanting to put themselves forward in such places have to be quite selective about what they do on their own, looking motivated and capable without appearing insubordinate. It's apparently a matter of sizing up the boss and deciding what will create the desired impression.

• calliope
    19 years ago

There surely are dictators in every workplace, but there is a difference between expecting your workers to pick up on the fact that training eventually ends and one should know enough to perform within their job description without contantly being reminded. I have NEVER worked for a boss who prefered me sucking soda on his dollar than working on anything to his benefit.

I am an owner now. I also like to keep my fingers on every decison made in my business. But I hate like hades to have to light fires under rumps, and I can always spot the workers who pretend they are busy. I know how many flats should be cranked out in an hour, or how long it takes to water properly. Done it enough on my own.

• Mustangrose
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for all the good advice. I am off to my first day. I am very very excited. Thanks again.

• calliope
    19 years ago

Good Luck.

• watergal
    19 years ago

Remember the sunscreen and Advil!

• GreenieBeanie
    19 years ago

So how did the first day go?

• bambooo
    19 years ago

Show up on time ( or a few minutes early)
    Follow directions ( make sure you ask if you don't know)
    Be willing to acquire new skils
    Ask yourself what is next, nobody wants staff that NEED supervision.

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

In short, be a good robot.

Apparently knowing how to construct sentences and spell is not such a priority.

Sponsored