Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
passion4gardening

Any marketing/advertising ideas for a new start up?

passion4gardening
13 years ago

Hello everyone,

Recently relocated to Grand Rapids, MI. My wife got a great teaching job here. It was hard to leave my gardening clients in SE MI, but I felt it would be unwise in this economy to turn down such a great teaching opportunity here.

Over the past 5 years my garden business experience was a mix of garden maintenance, design and coaching/consulting work. I have a horticulture degree and have been gardening for over 20 years. My clients were mainly busy professional couples, seniors and "retired gardeners".

Anyway, over the years I've tried to attract new clients using business postcards, fliers and small magazine ads without much luck. I'll be starting over this spring and just wanted to see of anyone has had any luck with other marketing/advertising methods.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (4)

• juliethegardener
    13 years ago

Boy, good luck!

I run a small gardening business and for the first time in 25 years, I've started sending out postcards advertising my services. Got one call without a follow up the other day, and that was it. I've always had word of mouth recommendations, but with this economy, we've lost over a third of our clients and I've had to cut down the hours of my employees.

• passion4gardening
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the reply Julie. Sorry to hear about your client loss.

I've tried business cards before and only got a few calls myself. Think I'm going to contact some luxury real estate brokers and see if they could use my help when getting properties ready to sell. It was interesting to find out that all the gardening companies here all charge the same price.

• rachel_z6
    13 years ago

When I moved to a new area, networking was really important to regenerate the word of mouth business. "traditional" marketing never worked, since I think professional gardener is kind of a niche business. Introduce yourself to everyone who could be a 'power partner', as they say: arborists, landscape architects, mow & blow guys who don't touch garden beds. Have a business card and an elevator speech about who you are, what your background is, and that you've just moved to the area. They'll understand that you'll just trying to build connections and not shut you out, think you're trying to sell them something. i see you've already learned some about your new market, now find a way to set yourself apart. If everyone charges the same rates, what makes you better/different?
    good luck!

• passion4gardening
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the reply Rachel.

I had a couple great opportunities to meet some "power partners" in the last week. I'm working on getting my name out there and perfecting the short elevator speech. Next up is getting ready to do some short gardening "seminars" at the local libraries this month and next. I hope to attract some clients and give out some useful information on gardening, planting seasonal containers and "green" topics such as composting, organic products, rain gardens. I'm going to post flyers announcing the "seminar" at the library and around town. Anyone ever had success with a press release to a local newspaper or writing articles for a newspaper?

As far as what makes me different from the others locally. I'm going to stress my horticulture skills and education, superior customer service and plant health care programs. Can anyone tell me what makes your service better/different from the rest?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES