Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
C3, C4 & CAM plants

Posted by Phytoremediation none (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 18:12

Hello there,

Does anybody have an easy way to remember the differences in physiology between C3, C4 & CAM plants?

I need to remember it for a physiology exam,
Many thanks,
Dan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: C3, C4 & CAM plants

Write down a list of the characteristics of each mechanism, noting the benefits and liabilities. Then make a list of plants that fit into each category.

For me, remembering that 'form follows function ' made physiological functions easy to remember and understand.

o
RE: C3, C4 & CAM plants

Well the biggest differences lie in the mechanisms each plant type used to accumulate inorganic carbon to use in the 'dark' reactions.

As said above the best way is to dive into the textbook and make a small chart outlying the key differences

which plants transpire at night? why? how does this save water? why would opening the stomates during the day time influence water lost vs carbon sequestered?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here