Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jcok_gw

Choosing germination container size

jcok
13 years ago

It's our first spring running a greenhouse, and the seeds are here ... but I can't seem to find any advice about choosing what size plug trays to use for what plants. Of course I'd like to avoid repotting if possible, but I know (or think I know) that it's a bad idea to plant a seed in a 4" pot, because it will take forever making roots rather than achieving balanced growth. I've also heard that recent research says it's better to grow basket plants in smaller pots and transplant to baskets 2-3 weeks before expected sale, for the same sort of reason.

But what about seeding bedding plants directly into 1203s, if that's the intended container for sales? And what about things I intend to sell in 1801s that "don't like to be transplanted"? Is is better to start them in 1801s? Can I start larger plants like tomatoes directly in 1801s to avoid repotting? Bench space isn't a major issue, I think ... we have a dedicated seed house with two very large benches with under-bench heat.

And as long as we're on the subject, I have quite a number of flowers on order in 105 plug trays. Is it common to repot those into final containers as soon as they arrive?

I would be *very* grateful for any guidance anyone can give.

Comments (3)

• myfamilysfarm
    13 years ago

What I do use is the ribbed trays that are usually used under the 1203s or such. I put my 'dirt' in the tray, tap it down (just to make sure there are no large holes in the 'dirt'. Scatter the seeds of one variety on one side of the tray, and maybe a different variety on the other side. After the plants get their first true leaves, then I transplant into either plug trays (72s) or cell packs. The plug tray plants will be uppotted into larger pots when needed.

I learned this way by watching our local greenhouse, plus having 1 son involved in the transplanting stage.

Also, I believe the flowers that you have coming in, need to be transplanted up. When you get them, look at the bottom of the trays, lots of roots? transplant them.

Marla

• goblugal
    13 years ago

There are a few things that can be sown directly into your bedding trays (like alyssum) but most seeds are started in seedling strip trays or plug trays then transplanted once they have some size. The biggest reason for not sowing directly into your finished tray is because water management with a tiny seed vs a large mass of soil is very difficult, especially for a newbie. The other thing to consider is heat. For most Spring annuals, a warm, humid germination environment is best, and the young seedling want warm roots. HARD to give them warm roots when they are planted into a huge soil mass. I'm assuming that you purchased your 102 trays through a broker? If so, your salesrep should be giving you support.

• rachel_z6
    13 years ago

when you get the 102s they should be ready to be transplanted to their final pots: 1 plug per 4-4.5" pot, 3 per 6" pot. the stuff you are starting from seed may need to be transplanted several times. i know it's time consuming, but you'll end up with a much better product. A few things i do like myfamilysfarm described (usually things with very tiny seed), but a lot of things i sow directed into plug trays of various sizes, usually 72 or 102, grow them to a transplant size, then pot up to market packs or 4" pots, and sometimes one more transplant to a bigger pot size still, depending on the plant and how long i expect to have it. another issue is *space*. i simply would not have enough space to start everything directly in their final pots. seed trays allow for much more product, as production times are overlapped, and better manageability of the higher heat/humidity environment. as for the "doesn't like transplanting" plants, you may have to experiment to see what works for you. those are things i usually start in jiffy pots or something. it really depends on WHY it doesn't like transplanting, so you will have to research the individual plant. is it because it doesn't like it's roots disturbed? because it has a taproot? etc., and then choose what you think might be best.

Sponsored