Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
havenheart

digging and selling topsoil

Havenheart
17 years ago

Hi Folks --

A friend has approached me, since I am in the landscape business, to help him sell topsoil that will be excavated from the site he is digging a large pond. He has permission to dig in an area that is flood plain, and so is wonderful dark river bottom earth. It will probably meet organic standards since it has not been farmed or had pesticides on it in over 10 years.

I'm in the process of getting the soil tested, and we are discussing the best ways to sell the soil. We're debating whether to try to find someone to dig and haul the whole thing for one price, or whether we should try to sell and haul the dirt ourselves.

My question for you all is, have you any experience with this type of ag business? Do you have any information about reasonable prices for either bulk soil or direct sales of soil in the metro-DC area? Do you know of any resources for setting up and managing this type of business?

Thanks in advance for your feedback and help.

haven

Comments (6)

• rachel_z6
    17 years ago

Maybe contact bulk yards and ask them where they get their topsoil--whether they buy from people in your situation, a broker, or if they come in with permission to dig and do it all themselves. that way you might be able to sell it en masse. your county extension office might be able to help too--I've asked ag questions in MD and been pointed at someone who might know the answer. I'm wondering if the organic standards differ by state--since you have to deal with quite a few in the DC area. good luck.

• sandra1938
    7 years ago

do you realize that when they strip mine top soil they leave a moonscape of holes 10 feet deep filled with water? that the land is gone for eternity from that place? that it will never be tillable again. calling these people farmers is like calling a pedophile a baby sitter! wake up people as to what strip mining top soil REALLY MEANS!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

"do you realize that when they strip mine top soil they leave a moonscape of holes 10 feet deep filled with water?"

I think we are getting a bit carried away here :-) First, "top soil" is defined as the the top layer of the soil surface, usually right around 4-6 inches but anywhere from 2-12". Certainly not anywhere as deep as 10 feet and it is not strip mined!! Typically it is "harvested" with the initial clearing and grading of land for a new housing development. Whatever 10' deep craters filled with water you are referring to did not come from the normal harvesting of topsoil!!

Second, the OP (now almost 10 years ago!!!) was referring to a very specific gathering and marketing of quality soil for a very defined purpose - the digging of a pond. This hardly qualifies as strip mining! LOL!!

Let's try and keep things in proper perspective :-)

• sandra1938
    7 years ago

well i'm so sorry. i guess just because i live within a quarter mile of such an operation i must just be hallucinating it all . the only reason they don't go down further than 10 feet is because they have made a law against it. they most certainly DO go down 10 feet and if the real truth were known probably deeper since i have never seen anyone out there measuring it. if you think this is all some figment of my imagination come out here and look at about 2000 acres of farmland that is already under water. these people are making a fortune off selling rich farmland and you better wake up. don't talk in such a condescending way about something you apparently know nothing about. will be looking forward to your visit, we will be glad to see what you have to say then. maybe you think it is funny, those of us who are seeing it up close and personal DON"T!

• Christine Lucy Kauffman
    3 years ago

You cant even sell dirt without someone sticking bad remarks on it. U own the land...u do what u want. Rediculous

I have topsoil for sale if anyones interested.