Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonsai_audge

I've decided to go...

bonsai_audge
19 years ago

...into landscape architecture as my post-secondary education! Guelph University seems my best bet, as it is the only university that has the program in Ontario, and I don't want to go too far from home (simply because of transportation).

So now I've got to start getting ready for applying. My major concern is my portfolio (weighted at 20%). My marks (weighted at 60%) are usually quite good, so I'm not as worried about them. A background information form (BIF, weighted at 20% also) is required.

However, my portfolio is a slightly different issue. I already have various pieces of art, but I'm still not sure if they're up to snuff. They are all good, but mainly show technical skill, not as much creativity. So I've got to work on that. I've got one year (about) to create a portfolio, as the submissions/applications are due around at March of my gr. 12 year (currently in gr. 11). And also because it's required to be 8 1/2" by 11", most of the pictures inside would be pictures of the works, meaning some high-quality photography being required! Not quite sure how that will be accomplished.

Anyways, sorry for the semi-ramblings. Any input/comments/concerns/etc would be appreciated

-Audric

Comments (16)

• Cady
    19 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Good choice, Audric. I wish I had been so focused on my future when I was your age (there were about 50 different potential careers I wanted to pursue!).

This and the Landscape Design forum are good places to post ideas you might have for beefing up your portfolio -- why not run them by all the great design folks here? You could design some projects, and bounce them off the folks on GardenWeb as you work your way through them.
    Ms. Rumphius did that last year with her first garden show display, and look at the fabulous success she had. :)

I'm excited for you. You have a year to come up with a boffo kit, and there are so many possibilities.

• The_Mohave__Kid
    19 years ago

Good Luck !!

Good Day ..

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    19 years ago

Audric,
    Can you locate a copy of the December 2004 issue of Landscape Architecture magazine ?

If you cannot find a copy, send me an email with your address and I will send you my copy.

In this issue there is an excellent article on preparing Entry Level Portfolios.
    This article is geared towards the new college level graduate, but I am sure you will be able to glean some very pertinent information that you can use for your own portfolio strategy.

It is a great article , packed with valuable information.
    It might even be online, (?? )
    Article is called " Developing Entry Level Design Portfolios Strategies for graduating students By Janet Lee Coleman

At the end of the article she lists some helpful tips + resources :

www.creativegroup.com/TCG/WinningPortfolio

www.sed.uga.edu/courses/portfolio

Best of Luck and let me know if you want that article or not.
    Michelle

• inkognito
    19 years ago

I downloaded the following from the U of G web-site so that others might have an understanding of what Audric is up against.
    Audric, I think you could work on one or two of the Gw threads that you have contributed to in a creative way. Note that they are looking for a demonstration of creativity in its broadest sense so presenting a problem and working it through to a satisfactory conclusion is creative. Being open to criticism, as you are, and demonstrating a positive reaction to it that leads to a better understanding of the learning involved in, not only the study of landscape architecture but also its application is creative (even if it leads to long sentences).
    In the background section they are looking for evidence of your ability to work in a team. The lack of arrogance that you demonstrate here suggests a small ego which is always good in a group so you should have no problem with that.
    If I can help let me know.

MLA Portfolio Submission

To aid the Admissions Committee in evaluating your potential as a design student, you are asked to submit a portfolio that represents evidence of your creative ability. The term 'creative' should be interpreted in its broadest definition.

The dimensions of the portfolio must not exceed 61cm x 61cm x 15cm. Larger portfolios will be returned unopened. Contents may include drawings, photographs, artwork, music, examples of writing, photographs of your work, construction experience, etc. Include anything that will allow us to evaluate your creative ability. If pieces are too large for the required size, photograph them and submit the pictures. There is no set format for the portfolio but it should be easy to review and clearly organized with an index or key that explains the individual pieces. Exercise your creativity in the design and organization of your portfolio. Be sure to clearly indicate your name on or within the portfolio and package it to prevent damage.

MLA Background Questionnaire

Answers to the background questions are intended to give the Admissions Committee an understanding of whether your interests and abilities will fit with our faculty and program.

Instructions: Respond to each of the 6 questions listed below in as complete and succinct a manner as possible. Type your responses using no more than two pages in total.

1. Outline your background and explain why you want to study towards a Master of Landscape Architecture degree.

2. Describe one or more pieces of your creative work and explain how they demonstrate that you are a creative person.

3. Describe one or more problems that you have resolved in a creative manner? Describe your approach and what you learned from the situation.

4. Relate an example of a time when you have worked in a group? What role did you play?

5. What particular skills and/or knowledge do you have that could be valuable to other landscape architecture students. How could you share this information?

6. Describe what you plan to do after completing your MLA degree.

- How or in what setting will you use the knowledge and skills you acquire?

- What do you hope to be doing in 10 years?

- What area(s) of expertise do you hope to develop?

- Have you met a landscape architect and discussed the profession or read about the works of landscape architects?

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    19 years ago

Tony,
    I noticed that all the instructions that you posted above were geared to the Masters of Landscape Architecture program.

If I am not mistaken, Audric does not even have his Bachelors degree nor High School Diploma as of yet.

I ' think that you may have downloaded information for admission to the wrong program.
    I believe he is applying to the undergraduate Landscape Architectural program, in which case, the entry level portfolio submission is looked at quite differently.

I may be mistaken, so please feel free to correct this info.
    Michelle.

• inkognito
    19 years ago

You are right Michelle, we don't want to rush Young Audric.

• bonsai_audge
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hello everyone! Thank you for all your thoughts and input!

I would definitely love to do a project in almost conjuction with the LD forum, almost establishing a back-and-forth dialogue between myself and others over a certain landscape project in various phases of development. It would take some planning and coordination to do, but I suppose they are looking for people willing to extend themselves further than just the requirements.

Mich was actually correct, Ink, I'm going to be apply for a BLA, not an MLA (although the latter may be a possibilty within the future). The requirements are pretty much the same for the applications, though. The portfolio is a lot smaller (in size, not numbers) for the BLA, 8 1/2" by 11" max (standard printer paper size). Obviously presentation will also be a key factor overall, so there's no holding back with materials :P But that can wait until later.

Here's a link to the Landscape Architecture Site for Guelph University.

I found the article on the web, Mich, but I have to have an online subscription to the magazine to view the entire article. I'll check the library and such to see if they might have it, if not, I'll e-mail you.

Thank you to all of you for your insight and information that you provided! I will go check out those links, Mich!

-Audric

• miss_rumphius_rules
    19 years ago

I was once in a position to review portfolios for students entering design programs. I didn't every expect a student's work to come fully formed--why would they need to study more then? I did look for creativity, originality, a sense of design and an openess that is hard to define. I also looked for evidence that the candidate was willing to experiment and think outside of the box to solve problems. Hope this is helpful to you.

• Shag
    19 years ago

Michelle -- don't you think Audric scould just skip the bachelors of landscape architecture and jump right into being a master? ;) he's light years ahead of most applicants already!

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    19 years ago

Yes,
    But I'm concerned about the competition.

: ~ )

• Cady
    19 years ago

My sentiments exactly, Shag. But as INK agrees, why rush the young man? Undergrad studies are good experience and let a person really shine and stand out. Besides, when Audric graduates with his baccalaureate, he'll probably be snapped up by a landscape architecture firm that will pay his graduate tuition.

• bonsai_audge
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you again for all your insight!

Susan, I appreciate your comments at a time like this (with the display garden craziness going on)! I understand what you mean by the sense of "open-ness," I can't describe it very well, but I think I comprehend! I will keep all of your points in mind when selecting (or doing artwork) for the portfolio. I think that they would serve as a great guideline in the selection.

Shag, you're too kind! :P But there are social obligations that need to be met! I know that you shouldn't choose a university based on the social activities, but Guelph seems to have a good mixture of what I want to study, plus a fun year of events for students ^_^ They also teach how to run the business aspect of things, like preparing bids and proposals for contracts and such. I've heard that many graduates from the Guelph LA program work with the government for public areas/buildings.

Mich, you're how many thousands of miles away from me? :P Unless I decided to move next door and set up shop ; ) which doesn't sound too bad, now that I think of it! (Plus you still owe me that burger from Elsies :P).

Cady, I sure hope that! And I bet my parents would too! I've already got two other brothers (one in third year, the other in second) so university tuition is definitely a major strain on the household budget!

Thank you all for your help! It has been extremely helpful, so helpful that it's hard to put into words! As things progress I'll keep all of you updated ^_^

-Audric

• bahia
    19 years ago

Audric,
    Beyond all the excellent advice you have gotten to date, I would also suggest that you spend time, if possible, doing more sketching and life drawing. Graphics and visual communication are always elements that help one stand out from a crowd, and often will make even a mediocre idea seem more appealing than a poorly drawn/communicated one. In this day and age when most entry level students are so focused on computer assisted drafting and design, competent hand drawing skills may be a big leg up.

Beyond helping you stand out, you might also find that time spent sketching also helps you develop analytical skills towards landscape problem solving.

As to writing about your aims in future professional practice, it would surely help you to formulate your interests if you spent some time researching local offices and becoming informed of the range of professional possibilites and types of practice in your area. Most firms will make time to give informational interviews to people who are interested in learning more about the profession. It might also be instructive to talk to first year students of the program, and get their views on the process and the school's program. Trying for an internship with a local office might also be an option to get more exposure and perhaps ideas to develop your portfolio entry.

I suspect that you are already miles ahead from most other entry level students that you will be competing against, and good luck with the whole process!

• bonsai_audge
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Bahia, thank you for your suggestions!

I do focus mainly on hand drawings, I actually hardly do any computer design, well, compared to drawings. I haven't posted many if not any of my artwork on this forum, but since this opportunity seemed to present itself, here's a sketch that I'm working on for art class:

I'm directing most of my sketchbook assignments towards more architecture-related subjects (this one being the Paris Opera House Grand Staircase), because I think it will help me with my basic drafting skills (getting the lines correct quickly) and also getting more exposure to architecture design.

My parents know an art teacher who had quite a few students take (or who are taking) the course that I'm planning to take. Also, one of my parent's friends have a son who is taking the course as well. I'm planning to meet with them sometime probably this summer to soak up information :P Much like a vampire, but less messy!

Thank you for your help!

-Audric

• janandalan
    19 years ago

Audric,
    Many years ago I too was applying for entry to art school. My biggest worry was the portfolio requirements. I had about half of the required artwork already, but really rushed to get the remainder completed in time for the application deadline. It was really weird trying to be creative with a deadline looming. Many an all-nighter was spent with coffee, sketch books and rapidographs! Somehow I was accepted.
    I'm glad you've allowed yourself a whole year to get it together. I wasn't nearly so mature in these matters at your age.
    Good luck, and I like your drawing.
    .....Jan

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    19 years ago

Oops, I guess it's not the whole article unless you subscribe. Sorry

Sponsored