Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
landman_gw

Marketing design services....

landman
18 years ago

I did a search and did not find what I was looking for...

To the professionals here...do any of you use the internet to market your business and in what ways do you find are the most rewarding?

I am reworking my 8 year old website and am looking around at all of the professional referral sites but thought I would throw the question out for comment....

Thank you in advance.

Landman of Massachusetts

Comments (13)

• miss_rumphius_rules
    18 years ago

I have a small website that I use as a teaser. It is meant to give people an idea of the type of work I do. It's not extensive--only 1 page with several pictures and a description of my services. Many clients go there first through several other portals, but the most common search is my company name.

Does this help?

• mylu
    18 years ago

We also have a website. It is used for information, placing orders, current listing, nursery events and other stuff. It has been re-written 5 times in 4 years. I think I'm finally happy with it. My advice is to look at your business and model your site after that. You want folks that visit your site to feel like they visited your business. Second. If you can't design icons, pictures, buttons, professional looking drop down or animated menus find someone that can to say you the time and frustration. Or your site will look like it was drawn with a crayon like ours did the 1st 3 years. :) And learn about CSS (cascading style sheets) which I am still learning.

• inkognito
    18 years ago

Perhaps you could ask this question over on the design forum frequented by people in a similar profession as yourself.

• redneckgardener
    18 years ago

Oh Ink....HE DID! They sent him over here!

Since my profession is marketing I was really interested in the responses he would receive. Unfortunately, I haven't done any horticultural sites, so couldn't help him.

Landman....here is a local (to me) website. The layout needs work (my opinion) but they do provide alot of local info for our area. Maybe its worth a browse...

Hope you find some input!
    Cara

Here is a link that might be useful: Moana Nursery

• creatrix
    18 years ago

I really like this site. I had several other designer sites bookmarked, but somehow lost all my bookmarks.

I'm mulling a site myself. I know I'd need a designer, even though my husband is very computer literate and has done pages for us. He did register a domain name for me.

I'd also need help with the photography. And since a freshly installed design really doesn't look as full as one a few years older, do you offer to mulch and weed before taking photos?

Here is a link that might be useful: A competitor's site

• redneckgardener
    18 years ago

creatrix....you know what I think makes this site better than others I have seen? The simpleness. Good flow and the bones to which they can add more information. Much like a landscape itself. Many are too busy like the link I posted above. It has good info for their professional services and for the home gardener, but it is shocking to work your way through the information.
    If the photos would really show your work, I would offer to mulch and weed. I do brochures, websites, etc for Realtor listings and sometimes need to tactfully make adjustments for photos. Its your time but the end result, I believe, is worth the effort.
    If your husband can do it great, but my clients are so busy that time is money and it takes alot of time to get it just right. Have hubby help you work with designer!
    Cara

• mylu
    18 years ago

I tried to look at the site on the high speed link. After about 1 minute of waiting for it to load I gave up. And I have a 3gb Dsl connection. I'll try again later but that is NOT what I would want on my front page....

• creatrix
    18 years ago

I don't remember it taking that long to load before, but I see what you mean! The little dancing phrases aren't enough to occupy me while I wait.

• lnscapr
    18 years ago

Because I do not venture out of my local county, I have never felt compelled to create a website. After 12 years of designing I have established my business based on word of mouth referrels. From time to time I run a small ad in the local paper, but most of my (full time) business comes through landscape contractors, builders, realtors, nurseries and garden centers, and all of my friends and former clients for whom I always try to do my best. I also make myself available to speak to garden clubs and volunteer my design time to charitable organizations in the area...where I often meet people who need my services. I stay busy 12 months of the year.

• mylu
    18 years ago

lnscapr,
    Your my new hero :)

• lazy_gardens
    18 years ago

Christies ... they break soooooo many design rules it's not funny.

RULE ONE FOR BUSINESS SITES: Don't make the customer wait to get the info they came for. Flash, even on my high-speed connection, took way too long to load.

• landman
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thank you for all of the input...new web site is in development...currently have two displays at the NE Flower Show and getting a great response...New flyer has been completed and have received a good response...now comes follow-up. Thanks again.

Landman

• barrie2m_(6a, central PA)
    18 years ago

Even if you are just local, a website can be a great advertising extension. If newspaper or radio add space is at a premium insert the web address in the add to allow readers to find out more about you and what you offer. If you want to attract the younger generation a website is crucial.