Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
impatien patents

Posted by gllc21 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 7, 08 at 21:55

As you have read we are starting a nursery and very slowly this year just taking on a few things and working on building up stock and planning, planning and more planning for the following year.

Ok I am using impatiens as an example so bear with me here. Ok, I am looking at the catalog from Germania. It lists an impatien as Accent Blush Pink and is from seed so this would be safe to propagate. Plus all the ones that say Veg on them are patented. I love to propagate stuff but would never ever want to do something wrong so I want to make sure that all these years I have not been confused about this.

Also in your opinion which would be the best grower?

Of course I checked this site http://www.patentgenius.com/class/PLT/317/2.html and it is overwhelming...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: impatien patents

Im not sure what your question is, other than "what would be the best grower". In your example, you can purchase the seed of Accent Blush Pink, germinate it, grow it sell it. You COULD collect seed from the plants that you grow, but since these are hybrids, they wouldn't be Accent Blush Pink. The "veg" ones that you are talking about are propagated by cuttings. You can purchase the unrooted cuttings, and root them yourself, or you can buy them from a plug and liner supplier already rooted. You CANNOT take cutting from those plants, and make more plants to sell. It sounds as if you are interested in growing some basic bedding plants, so seed propagated impatiens are probably the direction you would want to go in, as the input costs are less.

o
RE: impatien patents

Thank you so much... this is what I thought but I just did not know how to articulate it as you did.

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here