Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
willy_gw

hanging baskets?????

willy
19 years ago

HI everyone, would you mind me asking what you will be charging for your 10" and 12" hanging baskets this spring?

I will be using mostly PW or premium plugs. Also what the plain, one color, 10" hanging baskest will go for? Im in NH, so it will vary. Last year I was getting 18 and 24 for the mixed. Thanks for your help, willy

Comments (23)

• viola8
    19 years ago

Probably $19 again for the 10" and 12" baskets, plain or mixed.

$25 for extra deep and big 12".

• deeproots
    19 years ago

10inch @ $8
    14inch wire baskets @ $14

• WallFlowers
    19 years ago

10inch $9.99 to $12.99 depending on the Var.

• GrassIsEvil
    19 years ago

Wow, Viola! I want come sell where you sell!!

$8 for the plainest, most common, up to $12

Ray

• viola8
    19 years ago

Willy, you are talking retail cost? I made that assumption based on the $18 and $24 figures you mentioned.

• deeproots
    19 years ago

I have no idea what retail cost would be for my plants....
    every nursery charges differently

• Luddy_NW_Ohio
    19 years ago

Deeproots you sell your baskets retail for $8.00? I pay $8.35 from my wholesaler.

I sold mine for $16.00 last year for most all my baskets in my roadside garden center. Combo's were $22.00, Boston Ferns were $18.00

• deeproots
    19 years ago

luddy... I AM that wholesaler.
    my boston ferns sell for $8... no discount even if you buy all of them.
    I was saying, I have no idea what retail price would be.

I have had nurserymen buy them for $8 and sell them for anywhere between $10 and $25

• DaisyLover
    18 years ago

willy, don't know which part of NH you are in but you are at least one zone lower than me. I am in the "Great North Woods" low income area of the state and I was very surprised at the prices of baskets here.

8" $11.50 (mostly just supertunias)
    10" $18.50 - $20.00 (supertunias or verbena/petunia mixes)
    12" $25.00 (same as above and some strawflower/verbena/petunias

Some baskets had lobelias, brachycome, or bacopas in the mix. All pretty basic and pretty boring, without any of the beautiful diascias, calibrachoa, etc. There weren't even any impatiens baskets.

I know this is an old post and your baskets are probably all gone now, but just wanted to let you know. Prices were a long way from the $8 to $18 prices I had planned on for when I am ready to sell...but then I am notorious for under-pricing! :)

• thistle5
    18 years ago

At the garden center where I work, hanging baskets range from 14.99 -31.99 (combo baskets), no shortage of folks looking for them, we keep them well watered & groomed...

• mylu
    18 years ago

Well it's end of spring here you can have any we have left for $5.00.

• deeproots
    18 years ago

hmmm, lemme see, $.50 for the basket, $.25 for the dirt, bout $.75 for the plug.

how many did you want again? hehehe

honestly only a few left over this year, I'd say 75 out of 3,000. luckily with alot of them, chopping them down and letting them regrow is an option.

of course I have 3 big trade shows I do every fall, so might get them looking good for that.

drew

• DaisyLover
    18 years ago

I was surprised to see how many of the $25 ones were flying out the door. I'm cheap...I wouldn't let hubby buy anything bigger than the 8" ones. (actually I wanted to buy plants and do my own but I didn't get to). :( The 8" were already root bound so I potted them up to 12" and they are taking off like crazy.

Mylu, end of Spring?? My goodness! Our greenhouses have only been open for about two weeks!

Okay everybody....I do not understand the higher price for a combo-basket. Not unless you tuck in some unusual or more expensive plant material...say like tucking in some perennials with the annuals. But when the "combo" is just more than one color or type of annuals...why would that cost more? The plugs all cost about the same. Now...please...I am not being critical here (especially since I haven't seen anyone's combos in here). What I am asking is the costing thought pattern on this area. Are combos higher because:

1. Someone took time to design them?
    2. Different/more expensive plant material was used?
    3. More time is used in gathering a variety of plants together instead of just sitting and potting up whole flats of one color/type into hanging baskets?
    4. They are more eye-catching to the consumer and because they WILL pay more for a prettier arrangement?
    5. You buy your baskets pre-made and the supplier charged you more? Then again...why would he charge more?
    6. All of the above and I already answered the whole question again, right?

(I understand when a more expensive pot or container is used the price naturally is more.)

• Hap_E
    18 years ago

The oddness of this year's strange retail continues.... My higher priced baskets ($55 to $65) are moving faster than the less expensive. For that matter the $36 are moving faster than the $24.

The best container this year seems to be 10 inch clay bulb pans, drilled and wired. The wire baskets with coco-fiber or moss are being ignored for the most part.

• DaisyLover
    18 years ago

wow...$36...$55...$65??? Oh to live in California again where money flows like honey! ;) Just kidding...I do know how expensive it is to live there. That is interesting about the clay bulb pan hangers though. Sounds like the public is ready for a "new look". Around here all you get is white or green stock plastic hanging baskets. Just makes me want to design, design, design...and show them there is more out there!

wow...3000 baskets! I take it DeepRoots you must be a wholesaler? That's what I meant in the other thread in the professional area...there are some medium and large growers in these forums...not just backyard enthusiasts.

• mylu
    18 years ago

Yes it's been 10 weeks and most of our season is done although we stil have staglers coming in. This is the time of year I get to start new perennial beds for next year so I get to plant all the leftover annuals! Also gear up for veggie season.
    1: Yes
    2: Yes atleast here
    3: Yes but not much
    4: Absolutly
    5: No Make our own
    6: Yes. Ave very well put.

• Cady
    18 years ago

We probably will see the clay hangers in New England in a few years. It takes a while for the trends to get from the Left Coast to the Right. ;)

• DaisyLover
    18 years ago

10 weeks??? Where in the world are you, Mylu? I just realized we don't even hardly have much more than that for our entire growing season! haha And thanks for answering my questions (although I did have to keep flipping back up the page to see what I had asked) :)

Cady, that is why I want a greenhouse business...to introduce new looks to this area...like clay bulb pans (must be a supplier for those somewhere) and hanging driftwood planters, etc. :) It is the small retailer who can afford to introduce new fads. We can equalize the coasts! Then...then...we could even start setting the trends! oh whew...sorry...getting carried away...designer overload ;)

Besides I should have started a new thread instead of taking over willy's like this. Sorry, willy.

• mylu
    18 years ago

Daisy: Take a dart and stick it in the middle of the USA and you'll be close. Starts to get hot end of June. Sell veggies July and August pick up sales again Sept. Oct.
    Could even imagine living in a place as cold as yours.

• viola8
    18 years ago

I was a little off on my spring pricing. This year it was $20 for 10 and 12" baskets--most of which were quite large geranium or fuchsia baskets or mixed baskets. I have just one supplier who brings me only begonia baskets.

The oversized 12" sell for $30. 10 gal pots (which need special brackets, hangers, or stands) $80.

Over the years I have come up with a few growers who get their baskets big, healthy and full of color. I try other suppliers occasionally but their product usually doesn't compare.

There's a learning curve in putting the right plants in a hanging basket, not to mention the color section. Also, a willingness to pinch them and fill them out. I think this is where mixed baskets can cost a bit more from the wholesaler.

• DaisyLover
    18 years ago

viola, you're right about the learning curve for making baskets...they aren't instant...which is why a lot of consumers get frustrated because their's never look as great as the ones from the greenhouse. I guess it would be beneficial to have a good supplier with prices that allow you to make a profit. Then you could make some and buy some to have lots of variety.

Mylu, I thought OK was the middle but that doesn't quite sound like it. Yeah...you wouldn't like this climate. :) I remember my uncle in OK planting his onions in Jan or Feb, I think, and we can't even find our yard until around April.

• mylu
    18 years ago

Missouri

• DaisyLover
    18 years ago

Knew it had to be close to OK. Oh yeah...you have a great, long season. I envy you. I haven't been back there for over 20 years but still remember a little bit about the area.

Sponsored