Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengypsy_gw

Initial Consultation

GardenGypsy
19 years ago

Hello all!

I've been reading all the past posts for quite a while now and need a bit of advice. I am just starting up my own gardening biz (very small scale). I am planning to concentrate on garden recovery, maintenance, containers and the like. I am my crew... if you know what I mean.

My question is, do you charge for your first visit w/ a potential client and how do you figure the charge?

I was thinking that I would do the first hour consult/interview free of charge. However, my regular per hour fee is $25. What should I do if the client is a talker and wants to keep me there all day on that first visit? Help!

Comments (16)

• GreenieBeanie
    19 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I charge for the initial consultation, but apply it to the design fee if they accept my proposal. However, I'm a designer, so this may be a little different.

If you 're just doing maintenance, it might be reasonable to say that you give a 1/2 hour free consultation, and bill your regular rate after that. I'll be interested to hear other's thoughts on this.

I don't know where you live, but in our neck of the woods, the minimum for maintenance, and that is unskilled labor, is $35 per hour.

Best of luck!

• phdnc
    19 years ago

Working by/for your self, time is money!!
    Most consultaions you'll give will be known up front. In other words you are going to the folks property to help them out with their garden/landscape problems. I would charge for this type of service. If a design comes out of this meeting, I have to go along with GB and apply it to the design fee. When doing consultaion don't be stuck giving out an hours worth of free advice and nothing comes from it. mho
    P

• Shag
    19 years ago

GB is a designer like I am, and it may be different for you because you are mostly doing the maintenance and installation end of things. I agree that it would help you head off potential problems with people that like to talk -- to have a limit to the time you give away free (1/2 hour seems reasonable considering your business) but if you do any length of consultation for free, you will eventually find that at least some of those meetings are not turning into paying jobs and you might have to change that.

I also agree with PhD that "time is money." I charge for my consultations for several reasons: it takes my time to make an on-site visit, time I could otherwise spend working in my studio on paying designs .... and, when I am consulting on site, I give lots of constructive advice and ideas -- in that 2 hours, they are paying for years of experience and education coupled with my creative and practical knowledge (hopefully).

For a short period, I tried offering to apply the consultation fee to the design fee if a design came out of that meeting -- but it really didn't work the way I wanted it to. It didn't result in any increase in accepted design proposals. In my experience, clients want to know you value your time, then they will value your time.

GB and PhD, I'm curious why and how you apply the consultation fee to your design fee -- do you spend less time on the design because you have already spent time consulting with the clients? And do you really apply the consulting fee to the design fee -- or do you make your design fee that much higher to begin with, to cover the consultation fee?

• laag
    19 years ago

Do it if you can. But, you are new and you need work. The free consult can be a marketing investment of your time. You need to sell design, labor, and materials. The more opportunity you have to make those sales, the faster you will be working a full schedule. Then you can thin out the tire kickers. My opinion. Many people on this board have gotten past that and now do not need to do that anymore. Since it is their past, they might project that to being in everybody's past. My opinion again.

• GreenieBeanie
    19 years ago

Shag-

For me, that first meeting is the preliminary program development meeting, if we go forward with the design. So yes, I spend less on-site meeting time with the client if we do a thorough review of their needs and desires in the first meeting. I started charging for my initial consultation after being featured in a local paper. I never did it before, but had a lot of "tire-kickers" calling me, and found that the mention of a $150 consultation weeded them out quickly.

I charge for my designs on an hourly basis, so yes, I really do apply it to the design fee. I like this new approach much better, because I feel free to share my ideas. I know I'm getting paid for the time, and don't feel I need to be guarded about having a free-flowing conversation in which the client can share in the design process right away. When I am guarded, trying to be sure I don't "give it away" in a "free" consultation, I don't enjoy the meeting as much, and the creative spark is dulled.

FYI, I have almost never had a situation in which a client didn't choose to go forward with a design process after getting a consultation.

• creatrix
    19 years ago

If you're going to talk to a potential maintenance client- you're on a job interview. The client is looking to get his maintenance done. If you're going as a designer/horticultural consultant, that's different, and you should charge, as there may not be any other service rendered. Now, about telling the difference from the initial phone call, I'm not sure. I guess some contractors charge for a bid, but most painters, paving companies and others I've dealt with will bid the job at no charge.

It makes sense to my poor brain.

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    19 years ago

Excellent point Creatrix.

Every design professional has their own method of madness that works for them.
    I happen to work in a fairly affluent community and it seems like the more money that you have the more you dislike to be nickled and dimed to death and need to know that you are going to be working with someone that you trust and feel comfortable with.

For this reason, when I first meet with a new client I consider this an 'interview' and not a design consultation. .. ( this is vetted out during the initial phone call )

Below is a boiler plate form letter that I hand out to all my potential clients before I come to the site to ' interview them'. ..- yes, I interview my clients. I want to be sure that they are a good match with my skills and I assume that they want to know that I am a good match with their project, so it is a 'first date' like meeting.

different strokes for different folks, but this is what works for my small firm.

-------------------
    An overview of the Design Process

Needs Assessment
    When you first contact MDLD, she will ask you general questions about your objectives with your landscape project. If she feels the project is a good fit for her skills, she will typically follow the phone conversation with a visit to your house.  This will give her an opportunity to develop a more thorough understanding of your project. --- will bring her portfolio or other materials to help you understand her work and project approach.Â

If this meeting is basically a getting to know one another interview, then this meeting is generally not billed for. If this is a horticultural & or a design consultation providing the client with tangible information this meeting is billed for at the hourly rate of $ 95.00 per hr.
    Â Â
    This initial visit may then be translated into a proposal for design services, or a contract. For smaller projects we may simply outline what we will do and provide a deadline by which we will complete the project. Â

Â
    Development of Landscape Plans - the phases:

Site Analysis
    MDLD will come back to your property to measure and photograph the site.
    Information gathered will be soil , sun, water pressure and drainage conditions, existing plants, structures & viewing corridors . A base plan will be prepared from this information. Also a meeting will be schedule with your city planner to review all CC+R's for your site.

Preliminary Plans and the Design Review Meetings
    Based upon the analysis and our conversations the preliminary design schemes will be prepared . These preliminary design concept sketches are drawn roughly to scale in site plan form with a corresponding colored pencil perspective sketch to further assist you in the visualization of the design concepts. Typically several schemes will be presented and we will meet to review the various schemes and determine a final design for the Master Plan .

Master Plan
    Graphic representation of the project communicating the scope of the job

Construction Plans
    Derived from the Master Plan the final construction plan package is assembled. Depending on the scope of the project these plans may include the detailed planting plan , the site plan with grading specifications , construction details and elevations for hard surfaces such as patios, walls, stonework , pergolas and swimming pools, drainage schematics , irrigation plans, and low voltage lighting plans.

Pricing of Landscape Plans
    We bill our time out on an hourly basis at $ 95.00 per hour. A budgetary estimate of our time will be presented to you in our contract for services. As a basic rule of thumb landscape design fees usually work out to be approx. 10 to 12% of landscape construction costs.

Installation
    Once the design phase is complete, we will work with you to implement the installation.Â
    MDLD is affiliated with M-----C--- Landscape Construction but also has the flexibility to work with other highly qualified installation contractors if you choose .
    Regardless, MDLD will ensure that a high standard of quality craftsmanship is carried through and that all plants, hardscaping and sculptural elements will be executed as per plan.

• alpiner
    19 years ago

In your starting position I would do my initial consultation for free and then charge the hourly rate you are asking. As your time becomes more in demand and you can offer more (your knowledge and experience) then you can charge what the market will allow.

In my humble opinion you charge an initial consulting fee when you are offering something in return. You walk through a situation and not only listen and take notes but give some outlines of preliminary ideas or designs.

Listen to the customer but take charge. Show confidence and set the stage for the next step with specifics agreed to.

I don't worry about the customer being a chatterbox. I'll gladly accept the second cup of coffee. I only work for people I like and that leads to great referrals. I look forward to being in every garden I work in. Imagine getting paid for getting to do what I enjoy best.

• GardenGypsy
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you so much to everyone! It's wonderful to get different perspectives. It's such a tough spot to be in, when just getting a itty bitty biz going.
    I think I'll stick to the plan of the 1st hour consult/interview for free. At least for now. When a potential client calls, I'll let them know that right up front. When it looks like the hour is about up, I'll basically ask for the sale and see if they want to continue the consult at that point, or schedule a longer visit for another day.
    I guess I need to ask more around the area about the $25/per hour fee. That's what a friend of mine charges and she has more business than she knows what to do with. She charges an additional $20/per hour for each additional crew member she brings along and pays them $15 out of that extra $20.
    I feel kind of nervous calling up the "competition" to see what their fees are, since I'm not really sure that we are providing the same type of services. I guess I just need to get off my duff and research it a bit more.

• Green_hands
    19 years ago

I'm in northern New England as well and struggling with these issues myself. Gardening services here in midcoast Maine are billed at anywhere from $18/hr to $35/hr but the mode is toward the lower end of that range. I offer the same services you list plus landscape design, aesthetic pruning, and horticultural consulting/"coaching". With a few exceptions I don't take one-time garden maintenance or restoration jobs. I prefer to establish annual maintenance contracts.
    To get back to your initial question I offer free initial meetings for potential design clients but for consulting, gardening or pruning gigs I generally do not. That said, I treat these inquiries on a case-by-case basis taking into consideration drive time, how interesting the potential job sounds, what sort of impression the people made on the phone, and how congested my schedule is. As Mich notes once you start offering advice and information you need to be clear that you are on the clock.
    I don't see how your friend is able to bill services at $20/hr and pay $15/hr unless she is not reporting their employment and paying into FICA and other government programs. You'll have to make your own choices but this is a dangerous path. Most people operating a real business find that they need to bill employees time at 2.5 to 3 times their hourly pay rate to make a profit.

• The_Mohave__Kid
    19 years ago

Business is a lot like fishing ... you need to put some bait on the hook to catch fish. So if need be you give a half hour of your time to check out the client .. their property .. see the neighborhood ... and a chance to make a sale ... remember your there to make a sale NOT give out some free advice ... give your advice .. and ask for the sale. Stick and move ... control the situation then move on ... keep in mind if your appointment book is empty all day ... heck .. stay for lunch ... the longer your their the more likely they will buy something. Did a car dealer ever throw you off the lot ??

Small landscaping is a funny business ... most likely you don't have a big advertising budget .. store front property .. Right ?? ... If your sitting by the phone all week your in big trouble ...no one will know you exist .. if your out and about your bound to make some money while learning a great deal about your market.

( Check out Brian Tracy's sales books and other books on selling ... learn how to sell !! )

Good Day ...

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    19 years ago

It takes a hardened seasoned pro to cut thru the compost and call it like it is, - Thanks Mohave. Yup, it is a sales meeting. You're selling your services, your skills, and all the while instilling a sense of trust.
    In essense you are laying the corner stone of your foundation - and that's a very important building block.

In my minds eye this 'interview ' is part of your Overhead and Marketing budget.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    19 years ago

I think creatrix brings up a good point about "free estimates". I think for a maintenance business, that is what your initial consultation is all about.

How big is the garden and what maintenance does it need and what services does the customer need. They want to know (I would) how many hours per week, month, season, whatever will it cost them to maintain their garden. And it will vary depending on what tasks they are willing to do and what tasks they want you to do. They may not know what tasks need doing in the first place or how to do them. You can put that in your estimate as "coaching services" (or "consulting", sounds a little more professional). Don't give up this info on the "free estimate" visit.

Ultimately you will still be charging per hour, but they should know up front how many hours it will take. That is what your "initial consultation" is providing. Some of them may just want to know if they can afford your services. Others may be further along in their commitment to this service and are interviewing you to assess the quality and economics.

So, that brings up an interesting point. If you estimate that you can take care of their needs in 2 hours per week for example, what do you do if it takes 3 or 4? Is that part of your learning curve? career investment?

When I have painters or contractors come out to give me "free estimates", they come up with a total price but it is derived from how many person-hours they think it will take and their hourly rate. They have to adhere to the bottom line price even if it takes longer. But if it takes shorter, they win. That's life. Perhaps as you get further experienced with estimating hours, you can provide a la carte prices for specific tasks. e.g. the mower guy charges per mow, not per hour.

Perhaps bump your hourly fee $5 to account for the time of "free" estimates :-)

Keep in mind this is from a non-pro perspective, but from someone who receives "free estimates" for many homeowner things and from someone who would like to do a gardening maintenance biz herself someday so I've thought about this a bit.

Wendy

• laag
    19 years ago

Think of it as a cover charge to a night club. If you have a really hot band and everyone wants to get it, you can charge a lot. Sometimes that cover charge is where you are making money, but more often than not it is the sale of food and drink that makes the money. If a cover charge gets in the way of loading your club, you are limiting who you can sell the food and drink to.

A new unknown club with unknown entertainment that is open at the same time all the other known clubs with their known entertainment are, should charge you how much as a cover charge in order for you to go in and buy food and drink?

Value is a two sided coin. You value your time. A potential client expects you to value getting their job (see the three million threads on not understanding why contractors don't call back). You get your jobs by making the client value your abilities. Those that have a well established reputation or work out of a high traffic garden center (for example) often have potential clients placing a higher value on them sight unseen. Those are the people that can collect on that value at the initial consultation. A new person or someone less known is going to have a harder time with that.

Think about calling a photographer to take a few shots of your child. Before the photographer will discuss the photoshoot, he wants $20 up front. Then you stop in at a restaurant and they want $10 for you to look at the menu. I'm sure that this does happen and in some cases it is worth it to some people. More often than not, it is not something anyone would do. Why do we think it is different when we want to do just that?

The thing that you have to put your finger on is how much can you honestly expect your potential clients to value a meeting with YOU. If the phone is ringing off of the hook, that might be the case. If you are just starting out, why would I want to pay to discuss having YOU, an unkown with unknown abilities, do the work? Maybe the person that just had a big write up in the local garden magazine, but not an unknown.

After that, there is a skill that has to be learned. That is the skill of controlling time and information in one of these initial client meetings. If you expect to make a living at consulting, you have to know the craft of consulting not just the knowledge of what it is you are consulting about. You have to ba able to have an hour meeting last an hour. You have to be able to communicate enough information and some intangables that will make that prospect value YOU more than the other three coming later in the day. You also have to ask yourself if you can actually give away something of great value by talking too much and giving too many ideas away in that time (I personally have convinced myself that information that can be gleaned from me that easily might be great ideas, but can not have tremendous value if it can be passed that easily). You should always be able to walk away from an hour long meeting without looking back. If you have a great idea, you should be able to convey the notion that it will take you to design or build or oversee the project for it to come out right. That is selling yourself. Selling yourself is the art of making the client VALUE YOU over the next guy.

Keep your feet on the ground and realize that there are a lot of different ways to get to that annual income. Don't mess up the priority and place it where little comes in. If you do 10 free consultations and sell only one $5,000 job vs. collecting four $50 consultaion fees and missing the one that bought the job, is that good business?

• datadogspotmarker
    19 years ago

Just the fact they called you and are willing to spend their time explaining what they want/don't want is a great sign of a potential sale. Assume right away they have the best man for the job standing right in front of them. Usually, it's me determining whether or not I want to do the job. First visit is on me. If it becomes too excessive..............that's okay, that usually means I like the potential job/client and will "make it up" through adjusting the numbers of the contract.

• juliat
    19 years ago

By the way, if a contractor charges $20 per extra laborer and only pays them $15, I am assuming it is because the laborer is not an employee but, rather, an independent contractor. If she or he does work for other employers, he or she is likely an independent contractor and not an employee per se. In which case they are responsible for handling their own taxes.

Legal disclaimer: Check this advice with your attorney, of course; I'm just giving you what rudiments I remember from law school. I am not a specialist in employment law and am not even practicing law at the moment, so this could be completely daft opinion.

PS: if you're not living in $Calif$ornia$ or Westchester or the like, $25/hour strikes me as very reasonable for someone starting out.