Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeper961

Deciding on plants to sell for Backyard Nursery?

beekeeper961
13 years ago

Hi everyone, I wanted to like a small backyard nursery like Mike McGroarty freeplants.com except I already know all the information about propagation and that kind of stuff I just need to figure out what plants to grow? What are some good money making plants tree, shrubs, and flowers? I want only like a couple types of tree, flowers, and shrubs. I'm 16 so I'm just looking to make a little extra money for my other hobbies and things. I live in central South Carolina and everyone garden around here. I absolutely love fruit plants and I was also wondering is there a customer basis for fruit tree and bushes? I would like to do peaches, blackberries, and blueberries on top of ornamental plants. I have noticed people around here just love fruit plants every time at Lowes there always sold out. Would it be worth the work of grafting or just by wholesale and resale them? Vegetable plants also I think would be a good seller here because Lowes is outrageous sell this for like $3.00 a plant when you can get a pack of seeds for a dollar. Thanks for your help!

Comments (6)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

The most successful backyard nurseries identify and target a niche market....something that is not being widely grown or sold elsewhere in the area or something you can provide at a better price. IOW, specialize rather than trying to sell some of everything.

And that 'better price' is key. Sure, Lowe's and similar places may be selling individual veggie plants for several bucks each when one can purchase a pack of seeds for the same price (I'm not sure about your location, but seeds don't sell for a dollar a pack anymore around here!!). But one also has to factor in the time and materials necessary to bring that pack of seeds to a sellable product. Plus you need to add on a profit margin. You may find once you add it all up that the couple bucks per individual plant is not far off the mark.

Fruits and berries are alway popular but they are not quick turnover products if you are propagating and growing your own. You'll have several seasons invested in them before you can sell and time is money. You can always look into wholesale (if you qualify) but purchasing wholesale often has minimums associated with it that may be more than you want/need or can care for realistically.

This is an ambitious project for someone who is only 16 and I want to encourage you as much as possible, but have you read thru the other threads on this forum on this topic? And pick up a copy of Tony Avent's So You Want to Start a Nursery, which is a must-read for anyone entering this business. There's alot more to establishing and running a backyard nursery than you may think.

• beekeeper961
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I got a so you want to start a nursery and growing profits which are fantastic books. I'm think about getting some plants from Lawyer nursery some Japanese maples and fruit tree and minimum is only $250.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

Lawyer Nursery is wholesale only. You will have to have a business license with tax ID number and a state nursery license to purchase from them. But these are very important items to have anyway if you are establishing a backyard nursery......or any kind of nursery business :-))

• neonrider
    10 years ago

Don't hurry, don't rush, just grow what you like, and quantity and 10-15-20 years from now you will be ready to sell like a charm. Don't get any licenses now as you may not want to start selling until 2025 or later. Invest money and time as quick turn arounds are not the best business income.

If you want to make money now, right away, then I'm not the right person to advice. Perhaps grow blueberries?

• neonrider
    10 years ago

Tony Avent's 'So You Want to Start a Nursery' perhaps is a must-read, but it also discourages a lot. Who wants a competitor anyway. Think about it and then act accordingly by filling out a niche that's not been explored yet. How about growing rare kind of Eucalyptus such as Eucalyptus deglupta and then sell its seedlings.

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets