Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeanne_hunt_beach

Landscaping

Jeanne_Hunt_Beach
19 years ago

We will be removing the lawn in our backyard and adding pathways and planters instead. Beause of gophers and other reasons, we have a lot of excess dirt and we need to remove it and grade/level the yard.

Question is: how do we level/grade the ground where the lawn is being removed so the water from rains runs along side of the house to the front of the house?

Can't find this information anywhere. Do you know how or any suggestions on how to get this information - specific website or book???

Thank you.

Jeanne_Hunt_Beach

Comments (9)

• ginger_nh
    19 years ago

Google: runoff control grading lawn. You'll came up with all sorts of articles/information, some PDF, for the homeowner. Some of the landscape design folks (Landscape Design--you might post there as well) may be able to give you more detailed information pertaining to your area. Are you in a mudslide-prone part of CA?

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    19 years ago

I just spent over 4 hours down at the County Adminstrative Building going thru all the various agencies in order to submit design plans and apply for permits for a newly developed lawn area in Northern California.
    Granted this is a larger than the normal lawn area for a residential lot , but I was blown away with all the required permitting and review agencies.

First we had to submit a erosion contol plan to show how we plan to control erosion while working on the site and erosion control after we leave the site.

We have to supply a grading plan with drainage details.
    If moving over 5000 cubic yard the drainag plans has to be wet stamped by an engineer.

The plans then go to the planning department and then are routed to the building department. ( we have some retaining walls less than 4 feet high )

After the building department the plans go to Public Works dept. to review our storm water management plans ( erosion and drainage.)

From their the plans go to the Conservation Department where the planting plan is inspected .
    In this case the property is deemed agricultural ( mostly wine grapes ) and they want to inspect to see if any noxious invasive varieties are being planted or any agricultural plants are being planned , and if so, they require an extensive on site field inspection to determine a bunch of different crap .

Total design submittal fees : over $ 3000.00 and and additional retainer fee of $ 1000.00 to be worked against by the public works dept. for their end of the review process.

And you wonder why people don't want to apply for the required permits for their projects.
    And who can blame them, with fees like this and an arduous process.

..... this is nothing compared to getting a lawn installed in Kentfield, at least in Napa ( project written about above ) is clear and articulate on their process.
    In Kentfield you have a housewife running their HOA design review board who doesn't know a footing from a stemwall.... The only consistant thing that one can say about them is that they are inconsistant with their submittal and fee process.

I think I am going to move to Mexico.

Moral of story,,, in California, they make it extremely difficult and econimical to enhance the quality of your landscape and quality of life when remodeling your landscape.

To the original poster, make sure you have adequate council before you move your soil and grade your property , .. for if you did not apply for the permits and and was rung thru the administrative ringer and something or someone gets pee'ed off, you could be in for a co$tly argument.

• deeproots
    19 years ago

Mich, you should move to rural Georgia... your dollar will go further than in mexico, and just about as many people speak spanish.
    Probably less rules/payoffs than mexico too.

• The_Mohave__Kid
    19 years ago

Funny thing is we have a large recreation building smack in the path of wash water ... the water has been colliding with the wall of the building all winter long and leaving abig mud pile against the wall and blocking the side walk ... so what engineer figured that job ?????

Good Day ...

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    19 years ago

Mohave,
    maybe it was an engineer from Georgia.
    : ~ )

Deeproots,
    I may be on my way if things don't get any better here soon.

• Jeanne_Hunt_Beach
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you for your inputs. I don't live in any mud-slide area of Orange County, California. It's flat land here - flat, flat, flat.

Jeanne

• deeproots
    19 years ago

all the engineers live in atlanta...

my farm is like 20ft above sea level, we don't have any drainage issues... well if you don't mind 1/4 of the nation draining into your yard that is. At least there aren't any water shortages :-)
    Sure gets interesting when you can water a greenhouse with a submersible pump :P
    Plus I bet you've never eaten alligator

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    19 years ago

Deep roots,
    Haven't dined on alligator but feel as though the alligators in the Govermental Control Agencies have dined on me.

Lends a whole new meaning to 'bite my ass', - which what I usually murmur under my breath when meeting with them , within the first 5 minutes of our meetings.

... I suppose if one was to describe the culinary flavors of said 'dishes' above , they might say, " tastes like chicken".

• deeproots
    19 years ago

if it makes you feel any better, these are the same reasons I evacuated New Jersey, the land of my youth.

it was horrible...
    yuppies came in hordes, the drug cartels (merck, j&j, bristol-myers) set up shop in our back yards...
    we held out as long as possible, but between rising land prices, government interferance, well and the fact that we couldn't shoot the yuppies. The beautiful woods of the area were subjected to T&T (toxicwaste and taxes).

I can only assume California is worse, plus you have the terminator as your governer. I don't even know who the governer of Georgia is....

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner