Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do if your garden was contaminated by bleach?

Posted by OrangeRose03 none (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 2:58

Last summer my neighbor was being evicted and in a jealous rage poured bleach all over my daughter and my flower garden. Everything was killed. We dug out some of the dirt, added potting soil, and let it sit all fall and winter. Do you think it would be okay to plant in this spring? How would I be able to test it, and if it isn't ready how can I fix it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do if your garden was contaminated by bleach?

Please tell me they spent time in jail for that.

I have no idea how quickly bleach breaks down but I bet your local cooperative extension agent does. They'd be the ones to ask.

o

No. I didn't press charges. I just had my landlord deal with it. There is some grass and weeds coming up since it has been getting warmer out. I'm hoping that it is usable this year and I don't have to wait longer.

o

Bleach will break down rapidly (!) when exposed to water, sunlight, and oxygen. The best thing you could have done is to do a little turning over every once in a while just to expose the contaminated soil. The essential soil biota regenerates rapidly, too.

I would plant your garden with no worries.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here