Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
CA Pack Trials

Posted by goblugal 5 MI (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 30, 05 at 5:56

Anyone going to the California Pack Trials next week besides perennial princess and me? Will be visiting 30+ seed and plant breeders over the week, taking a look at all of the 05/06 new introductions. Would be interested in sharing impressions of the trials (the term is used very loosely any more).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: CA Pack Trials

I'm off to the pack trials tomorrow (Sat 4/9) We can chat after that!

o

so . . . what did you see that you liked? Seemed to be more new varieties at EuroAmerican than anywhere else. any favorites?

good to meet you Jenny! I'm sure we'll see each at the short course
PP

o

PP - great to meet you too! What a busy week it was. Overall, seemed to be a pretty slow year for new intros except for PW and Pan Am...which is fine! My personal favorites this year were the Fantastic Flower program from PAS - especially the Angelonia Serena. Gee, a really nice Angelonia from seed - what a great thing! Also quite fond of the Color Grass program from Kieft - nice selection of grasses, good seed quality. Nice "fillers" for combos.

o

Jenny: here I am on break at work, and halfway through my slides. I also liked those Angelonia from Pan American, as well as that Helenium Dakota Gold - I had a tour from the breeder, Kristen Ludwig, she was so enthusiastic about her stuff. Also, liked the two new colors in Easy Wave. And, more millets. Lord knows we need more ornamental millets.

I loved those new Oxalis at PW - the Charmed series - very cool foliage. And, wasn't it interesting that they changed the Gold Key plant from the Stachys to the Leuchanthemum Broadway Lights after the pack trials. I guess everyone was drooling over it. They had it listed as zone 5 hardy - would like to test it here in zone 4 to see if it overwinters. Heck, if we can overwinter L. Becky, I suspect this one might work as well. I also liked those more upright Sunsatia Nemesias from PW.

Even though it wasn't a huge year for new intros, it was plenty for me to absorb!

see you in Ohio! PP

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here