Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fig trees on commission?

Posted by mbrown297 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 5, 05 at 7:53

Over the years I have gotten a lot of experience growing and starting new fig trees from cuttings. I would like to approach some of the nurseries in my area and ask them if they would be interested in selling these plants. (Fig trees can grow in NJ if covered, and they can also be grown in large containers.) Should I offer them on commission, or just have them take as many as they think they can sell?
Thanks for the advise.
Michael

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fig trees on commission?

Give them the choice, sale as first choice, consignment as second.

If there is an established market, they'll know about it--or be able to find out about it. In that case, they'll probably buy.

If this is an iffy thing, then they'll probably take a few on consignment, at least the first time. If the market works out, they may buy the next group. If you're lucky, they'll set up a contract for you to grow the figs for them.

If the nursery is getting started, they may not be able to invest in as much stock, but the consignment may work well for them, and when you prove to be a valuable asset, they'll talk more estensive business.

If you do consignment, you'll need to maintain the plants.

Ask; the worst they can do is say no. It may take a dozen contacts before you hit on one who's even remotely interested. Or you may hit with the first one.

You might offer to do talks at the nurseries to drum up business for the nursery: "Why Is My Fig Tree Sulking, or A Naked Tree Is a Terrible Thing".

Ray

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here