Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
creatrix_gw

Planning Containers

creatrix
18 years ago

What plants are you planning to use in client containers this summer? I see 'monoculture' containers in some magazines, and the standard 'spikey/medium/cascading' plants in others.

I'm thinking about using yuccas or grasses in some containers, since watering is not my clients' strong point. But I'll need some flowering plants as well. I don't think the contemporary look of desert plants will go over well.

Any rate- what's in your containers?

Comments (4)

• Cady
    18 years ago

There's nothing new about so-called monoculture containers. Been done since before Victorian times. I wonder why it's considered "cutting edge"?

For me, this year's darlings are mixes of the hot new coleus cultivars in burgundies, plums and oranges, combined with last year's popular chartreuse cultivars of just about everything -- from Helichrysum to Hakone grass, Acorus (A. gramineaus 'Ogon'), and the favorite old Ipomea standby, "Margurite." I also like combining nemesia in a peachy tone, and Brachycoma (Swan daisy) in white. with some of the new Supertunia colors, plus a Juncus effusus "Curly Wurly" for funky vertical appeal and texture.

The whole container culture seems to be gaining momentum as a trend. I predict it will be a longstanding one as more people return to urban life in condos, townhouses and lofts with roof gardens and decks or balconies. Ditto for suburban homes with small yards and patios. Anyone with a window or small balcony can have a container or windowbox.

I could swear that I've seen more books on container gardening come out in the past two years than almost any other garden topic!

• creatrix
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I think it's just a pendulum swing on the monoculture. Like hemlines and bellbottoms, these things come and go.

I like the sound of your containers. I'd steal some of the combos, but they won't go with the client's red and white furniture.

I've come up with a scheme to help with watering. I've heard of terra cotta pots shaped like amphoras that can be buried near a plant. The water in the pot will pass through the terra cotta and water the plant. I've got some 4" terracotta pots and small clear plastic plant saucers. I'm going to put a cork in the bottom hole of the pot, fill them with water and cap them with the clear plastic saucer. I can fill the saucer with potting soil to hide the set-up. Two of the containers are 16x16x9"deep, so I'll put three pots in those. Lift out the saucer and fill the pot as you water the container. I'll poke very small holes in the saucers so rain water can pass through. Perhaps I should put some rocks in them to keep them from floating up if we get a lot of rain. But the way this spring is starting for us, I'm not sure lots of rain will be a problem.

For some of the other containers I'm going to get some disposable diapers to line part of the bottom. I'll poke some holes in the plastic outer shell for drainage, but not many. Hopefully, the diaper will hold water and slowly release it to the soil. I saw something like this at a tupperware-type home gardening party. The diapers are cheaper.

I looked into the self-watering systems, but none seemed to fit the containers I've got to deal with. If none of this works, and the client still won't water, I'm going with either cacti or plastic flowers next year. Maybe both!

• Cady
    18 years ago

Why not use the polymer gel crystals for your watering problem? That's what the absorbant ingredient is in disposable diapers. Instead of burying a diaper, you just mix a handful of the gel crystals into the potting mix, with more focus on the lower part of the container where roots will be.

For colors that work with red and white furniture, how about red crocosmia mixed with white brachycome/swan river daisy, and variegated miscanthus grass? Add a white supertunia in front to drape over.

For shade, maybe a frothy adiantum (maiden's hair) fern, small cultivar of variegated hosta and white impatiens.

• muddydogs
    18 years ago

A scientific aspect required to be a commercial container designer is to have each container on a drip watering system.

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions