Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengypsy_gw

Marketing Strategy

GardenGypsy
19 years ago

Just thought I'd throw this out there, so all you "seasoned" pros can evaluate it for me. Here's my plan for marketing my little biz on less than a shoestring budget...

1. Ordered cards from Vistaprint-high impact- $4.95 for 250 cards + I went for the 25 magnet cards for $9.95. They are eyecatching. Bright pink with a cool contemporary style rose on the side. Bright pink is normally not my style, but I was going for bang for the buck here. I have since designed my own, which I am going to use for ads, post-ups, etc.

2. Will be placing an ad (business card size) in local weekly paper, starting in about a week or so. Top of the ad says "Growing Season is almost here... Will YOUR garden be ready?"

Then... The Garden Gypsy, LLC centered and LARGE.

Bullet points underneath stating my specialties:

*Garden Recovery

*Maintenance

*Containers

*Edibles

*Organic Methods

Plus my phone # of course.

Later in the season, I'll change the initial statement to...

"For Gardens Gone WILD..."

3. Will put up 1/2 sheet size posters and cards at every public place I walk in to. I'm thinking citrusy green or yellow for the background with black lettering. Simple yet bold.

4. Will go to all local nurseries, garden centers, large scale landscape suppliers, introduce myself, hang up posters and cards (if they don't mind) and ask what their professional discount is.

5. Order magnet ads for sides of garden truck - same style as posters/ads etc.

So---- What'cha think?

Comments (6)

• Cady
    19 years ago

The first thing that hit me was how vague the reference is to "Garden Recovery...Edibles..."etc. I would use terminology more recognizable to a typical homeowner, such as
    *Garden Makeovers
    *Garden Maintenance
    *Container Gardens
    *Edible Gardens
    ...And More!

"We Use 100% Organic Products & Methods" might be a small slogan at the bottom.

• GreenieBeanie
    19 years ago

I agree with Cady about getting more specific with your bullet points. "Makeovers" is a good buzz word right now, thanks to HGTV.

Love your lead-in line.

What font will you use? This can be very important. Papyrus is a little over-used these days, but I bet it would be eye-catching and it has the kind of feel I think you're looking for.

• GardenGypsy
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'm using "Fantasy" as my font. The Garden Gypsy fills up over 1/4 of the ad. I used the printmaster program and stretched and arched my Logo, so it's very prominent.
    I just went to my program to look up -papyrus-, I didn't see it. Is that a MS Word/office font? I chose this one out of the printmaster selection, so they may be named differently.

My reasoning behind simplifying the *bullets, was I thought it would be too repetitive to say Garden... since it is in my company name. Does that make sense?

I went and set up my 6 month contract w/ the paper today. I'm so excited! This all starting to come together!

Snow, snow, go away...

• GreenieBeanie
    19 years ago

I don't know if Papyrus is an MS font or not. Came preloaded on my Mac. What you already have sounds good to me!

I kinda like repeating the word "garden" in the bullet points. That's what it's all about, ain't it?

Enjoy the snow and the down time. I have a feeling you're going to be a very busy gardener come spring.

Congratulations on everything coming together.

Oh yeah, one more suggestion- unless you already do this, start working out to build your stamina, strength and flexibility for when the season starts so that you can hit the ground running. Or weeding. Or planting. Or whatever, without too many aches and pains.

Best of luck!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    19 years ago

Excellent point, GB. Even though I work year round at a nursery and garden through winter whenever I can, the start of each new season leaves me exhausted. This week I helped to unload several large semis full of plants, schlepped around dozens of tables to set up the perennial department for the season and today loaded and unloaded and hauled up a good set of front steps 7 large pots for a container planting grouping for a client. I'm in pretty good shape, but right now I feel every moment of my rapidly advancing years :-))

• miss_rumphius_rules
    19 years ago

I have had very, very good luck w/two strategies...a demographic direct mail postcard and an ad in the local paper in May and September. Last year I mailed my postcards too early, this year they'll drop the first week in April. People don't really think about their gardens until it's warmer outside. The first nice day is when they want you...I also placed extra postcards at an upscale garden center that doesn't do design and that was also fruitful. Best of luck!

Sponsored