Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need help with fertilizer

Posted by geostv Antigua, Guatemala (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 11:13

I am an ex-pat living in Guatemala. i bought a bag 20 kg water soluble 14-8-30 fertilizer for my flower garden and the rate of application is 300 grams per 100 liters of water. I am very math challenged, but i worked that out to equal one tablespoon per gallon. (I use this for home gardening and prefer to work in gallons.)
Can someone tell me if my conversion sounds about right? Thanks much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need help with fertilizer

OK here's the problem you are using two different kinds of measurement weight in grams for the dry units versus a volumetric measurement of litres for the water. You don't have to be spot on with it, just close. It's telling you to use a little more than ten ounces of fertiliser for about 25 gallons of water. If you're using a lot of it, you might want to take a large container and just weigh it out and make that much. Just use out of it............it'll be good for quite awhile. If you really just want to make it one gallon at a time, you'll need .42 ounce of fertilizer per gallon. Is that a tablespoon? You'll have to weigh it out to see since a tablespoon of something is a volumetric measurement and not a weight measurement. The weight will vary depending on what the substance is.

o
In addition to that

I used a proportioner to spray on my fertilizer water, this is to make a finished product. If you are using some kind of devise to pull up the fertiliser water into a hose you have to figure it differently and know the ratio of solution to the rate of water being delivered. Hoze-on proportioners pull up about 12 to one at normal flow rates so the solution needs to be twelve times more concentrated than the finished product to deliver the finished product at the proper concentration. Confused? I'm sorry it's hard to explain. I'm asking if you are going to mix it up to pour directly from a watering can, or going to use some sort of device attached to a hose that the hose will pull up by venturi effect.

o
RE: need help with fertilizer

• Posted by geostv Antigua, Guatemala (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 9:54

Thanks for your responses. I took Calliope's advice and pulled out my digital cooking scale. 1 Tablespoon=15 gms or about 1/2 ounce. Since this gardening isn't rocket science, I will go with 1 Tablespoon a gallon. Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here