Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caseysmom_gw

'Bussin the Sag'--Motivating Landscape Crew??

CaseysMom
18 years ago

The nursery I am employed with is affiliated with a landscape company that serves many upscale residential and resort properties. The crews are provided with shirts & hoodies with the logo. The problem we seek to improve is with regard to wearing belts.

What suggestions do you have to motivate the employees to keep a clean cut appearance and prevent their pants from 'bussin the sag'. (a slang term for droopy pants & showing the underwear)

We want to promote more attention to detail in the jobs and leadership pertaining to the crews. What promotional types of things have worked for those of you 'in the trenches', so to speak? Bonuses? Incentives??

Thanks in advance for your input!

Carolyn

Comments (10)

• deeproots
    18 years ago

have a pair of baggy pants dangling out of a concrete mixer and scream,
    "Ohh no, wheres jimmie?!?!?!"

seriously, I would consider it a danger, running a power auger with baggy pants seems against common sense.
    I'd lay down the law myself.... fix it or fire em.

• laag
    18 years ago

I don't want to see it go back to the "Plum Smugglers" we wore in the eighties, but the back pockets behind the knee joint look has got to go. The worst thing is that they have to stagger around with their feet apart to keep the pants from coming down. That keeps work from getting done.

The good news is it is a safety issue, so you can implement a dress code without fear of law suits - successful lawsuits, that is.

• muddydogs
    18 years ago

Oregon has Hispanics doing most of their labor. It is the nursery state! Pay well or do it yourself.

• karmahappytoes
    18 years ago

You could by them all pants and belts or how about overalls? Yes it's a safety factor and I feel a company policy that needs being made so that it's clear as nails in their coffin as to how one can be fired for the 'bussin the sag'!

• Cady
    18 years ago

That reminds me of Jeff Foxworthy's joke ...
    "If you see a poster that says 'Say No to Crack,' and it reminds you to pull up your pants... you might be a redneck."

I'd make the neat-pants-w/belt a part of company policy, as in dress code. Just as we'd tell an employing that there's no alcohol-drinking on the job, it's just as important to have a neat appearance - hair, shirt, hygiene and pants. Shirts tucked in, too.

• Embothrium
    18 years ago

Apart from practical concerns like safety Gangsta look is incompatible with good company image. It's teen rebellion style, whole point of which is to distance oneself from establishment.

• laag
    18 years ago

The look is to express a desire to "stick it to the man". Like in the commercial, you are the man.

• Embothrium
    18 years ago

The main thing is how many clients are The Man or think they are. A friend didn't appreciate cement workers throwing their cigarette butts in her cement. It didn't hurt the slab, of course, it was the ATTITUDE conveyed that was offensive to her.

• theiceman
    17 years ago

Simply have a meeting with everyone and tell them of the new company policy. pass out the papers so they all understand and have them sigh it. Anything else that needs to be brought to there attention needs to be written down and signed on the same sheet. If working conditions are favorable and people like their jobs they will adjust them selfs to the new company standards, or take a hike!

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

Hike your pants or take a hike?

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH