Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindi_ks

Moral Dilemma, found hosta virus

Cindi_KS
18 years ago

Ok, what would you do? I visited 2 locally-owned nurseries in my area yesterday and found definite signs of hosta virus x on several hostas in each store. Visited a third family-owned nursery 90 miles away from me with THOUSANDS of hostas with absolutely NO signs of virus. They do buy from different suppliers.

The first 2 nurseries are smaller, but are owned by people who really really should know what this virus looks like, and really should know better than to sell virused plants. I took one plant up to the register in the first store and told 2 people working there that they need to contact their supplier and get rid of these plants. Tried to warn them in a friendly manner that the state would make them destroy all their hostas if they were inspected. Tried to tell them which hostas are more susceptible, and where to go online to see photos and get info. They acted like they didn't quite believe me, but said they would tell the owner. Plot thickens...I know the owner and really hate to be the bearer of bad news, but also am a little shocked that they kept these plants!

At the second nursery, I didn't point them out.

Last thing I want is this virus to spread further. I also know it's a small world and I try to maintain a good relationship with the nurseries I do business with.

What would you do? Call the state? Call extension agent? Re-visit the nursery to emphasize what I know? Post their names? Forget it?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County