Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
honey mesquite, poisonous?

Posted by beauxhaus 24 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 28, 07 at 17:33

My husband and I were in the garden last weekend tearing out our lawn and amending the soil with manure and sand. We have very few remaining plants/trees in the yard, so we were startled to discover a nasty rash/blistering on his forearms the morning after we worked in the garden. We know he isn't allergic to our gardenias, roses, or our pink melaleuca, but wondered is the spines on our honey mesquite might be the culprit. It's possible he might have scratched himself without noticing.. He says the blistering reminds him of what poison oak rash looks like. Anyone have any ideas as to what might have caused it?


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: honey mesquite, poisonous?

Honey mesquite is very prevalent in my area, and I have never heard of any plant parts being poisonous (the pods in fact are edible) and have never known anyone to have an allergic reaction.

Here's what a quick search turned up:
Mesquite is not known to be highly toxic. However, there are parts of the plant that can have adverse effects. When eaten, the seeds can cause digestive problems (Tull, 1999). Though the spines arent necessarily poisonous, they may cause soreness ("Honey Mesquite"). The flowers are allergenic and the pollen can cause hay fever (Tull, 1999). The gum may also cause irritation (Kay, 1996).


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here